Personal View site logo
Cluster X: Series 1 - moon - ЅріzZ - nebula - drewnet - Slipstream
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • @rajamalik I can't see any shots yet, but when you post them, please mention as much as you can about the settings and gear used as possible.

• @thepalalias see images above

• @Mirrokisser, Thank you! This lens surprises me with a clear presentation of tones and colors, without noise . No, I have not touched a noise.I've only touched the colors and cutting-style cine -1920x 850.Save to Camera- Suave 0-0-0--2

• @rajamalik Youre going to have to experiment a bit more with shutter to help improve situation if anything - can't fault other things like ISO (though try divisibles of 200 - eg - 200, 400, 800, 1600 to see if it helps improve things).

However, you sound alarmed about moire as though 'moon' Trial 5 is responsible. NOT SO. That moire pattern for that scene probably happens on EVERY single setting there is for a GH2. The GH2 is NOT devoid of moire. Nor is the GH3. Moire is more often pertaining to the sensor. For a busy scene like that perhaps change the shirt/shift the angle until moire is less apparent.

In your situation, where the scene is in bright daylight I would also be prepared to experiment with filters first and foremost.

• @rajamalik Yeah dude, come on now. You've been doing this shit for months. You just call out some sort of problem that isn't related to the hack at all and sound the alarm. You gotta stop or learn how to shoot properly. Yes, I had a problem and posted it but it was due to macroblocking I have never seen before in Driftwoods hacks so I thought it might be Moon. It wasn't and I still don't know the cause but this is a nonstop thing with you.

• @driftwood @rajamalik I haven't tested with Moon 5 with the 14-140mm but I will try it with the 20mm later on. However, I will say that what Nick's said so far is consistent with my experience - I have not yet seen a situation in which any of Nick's intra settings caused moire issues. I will specifically target that area in my next round of testing but I would be very surprised if there were any new issues with the most recent settings.

On the other hand, the Panasonic electronic lenses are often much more prone to moire than non-electronic manual focus ones. The simplest solution is typically to swap lenses.

Here is a list of options that can help at the time of shooting regarding moire.

1) Moire is typically connected not only to the content of the scene, but also to contrast and sharpness. Electronic lenses are even more susceptible because additional processing is performed on the scene in camera before the image is encoded to video.

2) Whether you are shooting with an electronic lens or one without electronic connection to the camera, be aware that the less sharp/contrasty the edges coming into the camera are, the less likely you are to have a moire problem. By switching to a less sharp aperture (typically the very shallowest or deepest DOF options on the lens) you can usually reduce the problem, even without filters on hand.

3) There are many filters available that can reduce contrast. I find that the Tiffen series can be helpful for this (they offer Ultra Contrast, Low Contrast, Black ProMist, etc.) My favorite for the purpose is Black ProMist and they offer several strengths (1,3,5 etc.) to control the level of the effect (although I normally use the Warm Black ProMist 1 but that will change color vs. your other footage while the other will not). If this works, then you can keep using the same lens and aperture. My very strong advice is to get filters larger than the lens thread and use a step-down adapter. This drastically reduces any issues with vignetting. I normally use 77mm filters with a step-down ring.

4) Changing the contents of the scene will obviously allow you to fix things before they ever get into the camera. See if you can reduce or eliminate high-contrast geometric patterns.

Hopefully between these four options there will be at least one that can help your shoot. I am afraid I do not know any way to fix it in post if the effect is dramatic. If it's subtle, blurring can help.

Update: If you want to get a sense for the overall sharpness of the Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO HD 14-140mm F4.0-5.8 ASPH. MEGA O.I.S. at different apertures, here are some links that quickly show it in stills. As you can see the sharpness reduces more due to diffraction at narrow apertures than it does due to any lens design issues at wide open apertures.

14mm http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_g_vario_14_140mm_f4_58_asph_mega_ois_review/sharpness_1/ 70mm http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_g_vario_14_140mm_f4_58_asph_mega_ois_review/sharpness_2/ 140mm http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_g_vario_14_140mm_f4_58_asph_mega_ois_review/sharpness_3/

• @thepalalias: cheers for the detailed answer you have given rajamalik. Glad i could learn a thing or two! I can defo confirm, that i have a little less trouble on that issue with old legacy glass. Sometimes it has also helped me being very slightly out of focus, if that of course does not ruin your scene.

• This camera works best with manual lenses.This is my opinion.

• @thepalalias ,Thanks for the accurate representation of the problem moiré

• @rajamalik

Meanwhile i'm pretty shure that you're your own problem. It really sucks!

• Thank u so much sir @driftwood @thepalalias u r amazing, great info thanks. @vicharris bro u see I never experienced lots of moire from any patch before. I had but minimal, never so high like yesterday. So, obviously by mistake I thought it was the patch.i am Sry abt this false alarm.

• @rajamalik, You pointed the camera at a intricate brick like floor and some guy with crazy ass patterns all over every inch of his clothing. It's only common sense man.

• New video using Moon Trial 5 on highest settings. Shot it on 160 ISO throughout and now that I am using clipwrap - no more clip import errors in FCPX. Best $50 I spent in a while. Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB card - no read or write errors. Tried the screen of death test too - no problems. 25 mm Summilux and 14-140 mm

• @uninexus what errors do you get? And is Moon causing those or are other factors at play? I am using older Driftwood patches and have no such problems (Sedna, IntraVenus).

• @sohus NO Errors Read! :-)

• *** NEW **** Mix 'n' Grade GH2 with your GH3

Here's Driftwood Cluster X 'Slipstream 3' - this is the all new mix of Cluster X 'moon' settings (plus Spizz/Nebula/DREWnet style GOPs for other REC modes) for the GH2 - PATCHED with the Panasonic's GH3 matrix so you can grade much closer between cameras.

Inside the zip you will see install instructions.

Driftwood Cluster X Series 'Slipstream 3' with GH3 matrix - now you can grade with the GH3 - setg.zip
  • @sohus Just like @driftwood confirmed - NO ERRORS with the current hack and after following some simple steps: I used the card formatting utility to format the SD card. I use clipwrap to correct the timecode on import so Final Cut Pro X doesn't complain. I had some card read errors once in a while with canis majors and also with moon trial 4 - I read some comments about doing proper card format and things are better now. I tried some shots in low light and at low ISO - moon seems to work very well with minimum noise. If there is anything about 14-140 people want to have tested - let me know.

• @uninexus @driftwood And when I don't use Clipwrap? I prefer to ingest in Final Cut Pro X. Is that possible with Moon or will it result in errors?

• @driftwood: cheers for the new slipstream. Is Moon 5 the final moon release or is Slipstream3 its continuation? And besides the gh3 matrix, what are the differences, is it a general improvement? many answers, cheers, just loosing track a bit.

• @sohus The reason I use clipwrap is to ingest into Final Cut Pro X without errors. Here is the thread that describes the issues people are having with timecode: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/113321 As you well know Final Cut Pro does not ingest the .mts files directly. It will import them when presented with an entire AVCHD folder structure on camera or card or if you have copied the folders to your local storage. Clipwrap allows you to re-wrap the .mts files without transcoding and have them archived and available for easy ingestion into FCPX.

• @Mirrorkisser Slisptream 3 like the other two Slipstreams are a mix of different GOPs - variation 3 is 12 GOP 60p, 3 GOP 50p, 3 GOP HBR30p/FSH and GOP1 moon style Intra 24p & 1080i50/HBR25p. Slipstream 3 is predominantly for people who want the GH3 matrix on their GH2 so that they can get better matching grading results when filming with a GH2 AND a GH3. But thats not to say GH2 users may prefer the matrix in this Slipstream 3 variation. Give it a spin!

Each of the Cluster X settings are variation trials - not really one progressing incremental setting. For example some people prefer moon Trial 3 matrix over 4 or 5 despite slight variations in QP, others prefer maybe Trial 5. Longer GOP variations of Cluster X require less bitrate - some like DREWnet provide highest i frames which work well for static shots. moon is best for movement and offers pure Intra. Each to their own, you have choice!

• @driftwood: cheers for your reply! I will try it out, so far moon trial 3 is still my fav though! Thank you very much!

• @Driftwood Thanks for all of these awesome patches :) I have a question about the Slipstream #3 Patch, Is the 1080p24H setting the same as Moon Trial 5? If so then I think might have to jump ship from Nebula 6B to Slipstream #3.

Thanks

• I don't want to sound rude but Hey, we are working on Cluster X series on this tread and why on earth you people keep posting videos with old settings. BTW testing Slipstream 3, looks like a good combination. need more time to test.

• Getting ready to shoot a feature. Are any of these ready for prime time? Also, do they include the Pasadena Pulse audio hack?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions
Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters