Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • Good find.

• Tried out the variable frame rate on my GH3 in today's Chicago snowstorm. 300% sped up to 1,000% in FCP7

• @timfrakes I'm not a big fan of speeded up video, but that's pretty darn smooth.

• Don't think I've seen this posted here, but I might be wrong (in which case I'm sorry for the repost). http://www.discovermirrorless.com/lumix-mirrorless/iso-noise-lumix-gh3-and-canon-5d-mk2/

• Haven't seen too many other people complaining about this (and the question has yet to be answered) - so perhaps we are missing something. How can you keep the display from turning off after 10 secs? It's annoying if trying to monitor histogram and exposure...

• People have been complaining, and we hope a firmware update or hack can change this...

• @vicharris the 'Discovermirrorless' guy's presentation style comes across too infomercial like for my taste. Needless to say, their YouTube channel does provide decent M43 camera product news.

• Metz recently (2013-02-21) came with a firmware update for their flashes to better support the GH3 (and E-PL5 and OM-D E-M5) with slave mode: http://www.metz.de/en/flash-units/firmware-download-flash-units/mecablitz-58-af-2-digital/olympuspanasonic.html

• I haven't been around here much lately, but now that Panasonic are releasing a new Firmware update for the GH3 I'm thinking of picking up the camera again. Just wondering how Mr @Shian and Mr @Driftwood are finding the GH3 now? What are your "longish" term observations? Still a reasonable professional production tool? Are hacks imminent?

I also want to mention that Rankin Film Production will be doing a series of 1 minute shorts with the GH3 by end of March, I'm really curious to see what they come up with: http://www.photographyblog.com/news/panasonic_partners_with_rankin_film_productions/ http://rankinfilms.com/home/

• I don't have any video to show yet but i am filming a Sci fi short film using the GH3. I just choose the color grade I'm going to use. if you guys want to see a screen shot go to my web site. I am super impressed with this camera and its better dynamic range the the GH2. http://trinityfxmg.com

• Hey everyone. I shot a save the date video for a couple over the past three weeks. And here is the video. High iso shots are very useable finally. Easy to fix the noise too with Magic Bullet Denoiser. Haven't tried it with the NeatFilm though. Overall, camera was great to use except for the damn faulty EVF. Such a shame. So i used a cheap LCD VF from ebay on the LCD display. Great dynamic range, footage is very malleable specially when isolating colors and using power windows. Shooting with the Lumix Lenses was hard because everything was razor sharp even with the profile turned down and with a ND Fader. Non Lumix lenses were a blast to use because it made things more cinematic to me.

Does anyone know if panasonic will fix the EVF issue when you send your camera back?

Lenses used: Lumix 14mm (flycam shots, sushi), Lumix 20mm (Campfire, home movies), Canon FD 28mm (ice cream parlour, date), Nikon 50mm (kite shot, first kiss), Soligor 135 (Introduction shot and closing shot), Sigma 24-70 (Supermarket, Arcade, Laptop)

• Yet, curious to see a scientific test of GH2 vs. GH3.

• @stanlymanly2 , great work!

• @stanlymanly2 That was very creative, filmed, musical scoring, and edited so great! You are very talented... Al

• @stanlymanly2 Great video! yeah there is some cinematic vibe there for sure. Say how did smooth panning and tracking shots work for you, I had my camera a little over a week and am still having trouble with choppy motion, pans etc.

if anyone has a tip for this would be awesome, I wonder if it is my SD Card. 32BG Gold Panasonic SDHC I,Write 45 MB/s.

I love this camera, but am a bit down that I cannont figure out how to get smooth tracking / motion... :(

Greetings

• @Pulse Just curious, which lens are you using and what is your frame-rate and shutter speed combination? Also, are you seeing the choppy motion in your NLE or after final output? Did you transcode to Prores before your edit or on output?

I had that issue too, but I've also seen some pretty smooth tracking and panning on some web examples as well.

• Hi Conundrum, I am using the 35-100 2.8 and the 20mm Pancake 1,7 Lumix lenses. Both are excellent. I have been going through all the codecs with diff. frame rates, and have lost many hours trying to resolve this. right now I have convinced myself the only thing close to a natural life motion is AVCHD 24FPS with shutter at 30/40. Everything else strobes more or less and looks pretty unnatural to me.... it sucks cos I really really like the GH3 but this is a major issue because part of what I use it for is product videos and there will always be some smooth tracking shots required.....

I read your previous posts.... didn't you give your camera back? I dont want too, but may have to if I cant get one basic smooth pan out of it.

• I have only seen success using the AVCHD codec transcoded to pro res on one example.... it's damn confusing though: needing to get all the way to a transcoded NLE to know if your shots worked out.

I dont want to hate on the camera since I think its dope but this has been bugging me since day 1!!

• @Pulse You need to set your shutter to 50 to loose the strobing effect. It has to be the closest multiple to your actual recording frame rate.

• @Pulse Yes I returned the camera and supposedly it was sent to Panasonic for review. I've been waiting for the new firmware to pick one up again. Sometimes the strobing can be due to your video card not being able to playback the 50 or 72 Mbps files properly. Try shooting at 24 fps, shutter speed of 40 or 50 in IPB 50mbps, then transcode it to Prores 422 and output a full-rez QuickTime file and see if it still stutters. If it does, try again at 60 fps and shutter speed of 120. As a final test transcode to Prores proxy and output a quicktime at the lower bitrate and see how that plaIf it still does the stuttering, you might be in the same position I was when I returned mine. I also really liked the camera and am hoping that this cadence issue affects just specific cameras. I have seen some examples of pretty smooth pans on vimeo but I've seen others that judder right along.

• @pulse how do you playback your footage? Watching on a monitor connected to computer is no good. I just bought bm intensity pro and hooked it up to my projector. Can now get 1080p 24 playback at 24Hz from timeline in resolve and premiere.

• Thanks Conundrum, I will do precisely those tests, it will help when I go back to the shop to have all of those ready if it still does the strobing, I really dont want to return the camera but I completely understand your reasons for doing so - it is a size able investment, and this is all about capturing life at the end of the day....it should look life like!

Robbin I use a mac book pro and a apple cinema display.... this kind of set up is what 99% of my audience is going to use in the next years, I might submit stuff to film festivals at some point but for now its Vimeo and Youtube.

Thanks for the replies.

• @Pulse There will always be some strobing when playing back 24P material. In my case it was more than just flicker or strobing. In all bit-rates the cadence was be extremely choppy with some tearing and pixel dropouts in the image during pans of any speed. And that was after conversion to Prores at both high and low bitrates.

Keep us posted.