Personal View site logo
GH3 user reviews and opinions
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @chenopup SDHC I cards are problematic.

• Here's a photo I took with the GH3.

Remy-003-GH3.jpg
    4608 x 3072 - 1M
  • @gpcreative

No need to upload full size photos, proper services for this exist :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Sorry, I thought that was small. : ) Won't do it again.

• I'm late to this party as I haven't been paying much attention to the GH3 (though I'm eager to find out whether it can be hacked). Just wanted to give @shian props on his four-way camera shootout videos, particularly the creative lighting he used to highlight the subtleties of the cameras' dynamics and color rendition. Rather than trying to guess which camera was which, I followed his on-screen instructions and ranked the cameras according to my own personal tastes. My results confirmed one important thing to me: I know what I like!

Here are my picks, best to worst:

Camera 3: Rich texture, pleasing colors --- hacked GH2

Camera 4: Almost as rich as Cam 3, but less consistent --- GH3

Camera 2: Nice colors but dull textures --- 5Dmk3

Camera 1: Waxy and flat --- sorry BMCC fans, it's just not my cup of tea!

• Hey guys, I finally got my GH3... Is there any way to figure out what the scene profiles actually and specifically do in terms of the image (.I.e. vidid, standard vs. Normal, portrait, etc.)? Any recommendations for photos? Any distinction about values for sharpness, contrast, saturation. noise reduction for photos as opposed to video?

Second, does GH3 need a UV filter for day? I was using a Hoya evo smc uv filter at night, and was having major issues with lights on voigt 25mm. Thx!

• Having both for commercial work, much prefer the no hack or hacked GH2 look to the stock GH3 50IPB settings. GH2 in 24p (at 1/40, 1/50 and 1/60) handles movement better, and, though not sure how to quantify, texture "feels" more filmic than the flat artificial look I am getting on the GH3. But both cameras are very good for dslr, and body features and increased DR is very good on new model...just wishing for a less Sony-like digi-look. But glad to have access to both for sub $2k. I'm doubtful a hack will get rid of the video look of the GH3, but maybe I still have some hopes. Trying BMC next week!

• @whitney With what lenses did you make this determination? thx

• @vitaliy_kiselev

why should the paris video go in showcase, yet the 2 videos above this one weren't even shot on a gh3?

• Not sure the sensor attributes I am addressing may be fixed with lensing...but to answer I use only the manual focus kind in three variants via metabones adapters: Zeiss ZE, Leica R and old AI Nikkor.

• @whitney Could you please upload 2 short clips (not necessarily of the same scene, although this would be nice) showing the "filmic" look of the GH2 vs. the "artificial" look of the GH3? This might serve as a reference for future tests with the GH3.

• Hey guys, I've shot the following with the Voigtlander 25mm at .95 at night. ISO was 1600. I noticed around lights there's a blue fringe on just about every light (see the reflection on the car window). I've uploaded a 100% crop of the issue. Is this the GH3 processing the image, the color temperature, or chromatic aberration on the Voigtlander. I set the white balance to 4500, then tried again at 5600. Is this normal? Thx

EDITED: I figured out the blue issue, I need to have focal point set to a closer physical distance than light source in frame.

BTW - Apologies on photosizes, I realized after they need to be scaled down. If anyone know the standards for the site so I don't break etiquette, please let me know.

bluestuffnightshooting.jpg
    2804 x 1894 - 6M
    5600blueissue.jpg
    1425 x 964 - 441K
  • Not interested at all in contributing my work for such comparisons. Too much work, no payoff. A user on Vimeo (here too) by the handle of Shian already went through great lengths to post the kind of files you are asking for (dont watch those on Vimeo, download the big source files). Watch them on a big plasma or, better yet, do the test for yourself in scenarios that represent your look, choice of lighting, in-camera settings, post work, representative output file for whatever your typical mode of delivery is, etc. If you don't see the differences, it doesn't matter:-/ My stuff is optimized for Christie m series. pure subjectivity led me to a decision that my eyes are quite pleased with. i also know what i need.. doubtful you"ll figure anything meaningful out by web comparisons or screen grabs

• Side-by-side comparison of GH2 & GH3. Full 1080p download available on Vimeo.

• Happy owner of the GH3,the F 2.8 12-35 and the 35-100. Figuring this unit out and really looking foreword using it!!

here is a small test video, took the unit out of the box and basically start using it.

PAL version test footage MOV 1920x1080, 50p 50 Mbps @ 40% Frame Rate

e

• So far the most important thing about the gh3 for me is 25p looks as good as 24p; Thats a BIG plus for pal-country. On the gh2 so far I could not get 25p look as good as 24p, or I am missing something..

• @manstok Cluster X 'Moon' is what youre missing. Its certainly a great setting.

• I recently rented an EM5 and GH3 to see if either would work well for digiscoping (camera mounted on a spotting scope). I was comparing IQ in general using the Pany 20/1.7 on both cameras, and for this test wanted to see what 800 ISO looked like out of each camera. I did my standard light noise reduction on the bird and more on the background, just to make sure I could get it down to an acceptable level, and then light sharpening. Both were shot in raw. The big shock was how much better the IQ was out of the GH3. I didn't even take the EM5 out in the field to test it, and bought a GH3. Here are two shots taken under the same conditions, using a tripod and remote shutter release. I must have had the aspect ratio set differently on the EM5. I'm taking forum members at their word that they want hi-res photos for comparison :-). The first photo is from the GH3, and both photos were taken with the camera mounted on a Swarovski STX95 scope.

P1010525 2013-01-22 13.30 STX95 TEST GH3 800 1500H.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    P1220005 2013-01-22 17.41 STX95 TEST EM5 800 ISO 1500H.jpg
    2667 x 1500 - 2M
  • @mankus71, thank you very much for posting the comparison betwen GH2 and GH3.

best regards...

• New Music Video shot using GH3 and Hacked GH2

Viewer Discretion Advised!

• @FilmingArt

I think you are much better to just post videos to Showcase. As it is not review videos, not comparison, etc.

• I shot this with my Panasonic GH3 12-35mm Kit. YouTube decreases the quality. It looks amazing directly from my computer.

• BTW did I mention my menu is in Japanese HEHE :0 Loving the camera. I wish it had focus peaking like my Nex5n. Hard to nail focus quick with my style of shooting.

• Here's a test I did filming with both the 50 and 72 modes on the GH3. Clearly more noise in the 72 mode, but still plenty in the 50 mode. No Color Correcting was done so kind of surprised about the amount of macroblocking on the wall just because I was trying to create a mood and not just film it very lit.

• I received my GH3 along with 35-100mm Lumix lens today. All I can say is that I'm really, really pissed off. I was sold on the Ex. Tele Conv. feature that I planned on using for video. Lo and behold, the Ex Tele Conv feature is unavailable while shooting 1920x1080/60p and/or using the slowed frame rates.

I wish they would have stated this somewhere obvious so I didn't have to spend $3,000, spend another hour wondering why it wasn't working, then finally find the disclaimer in the "Advanced" user manual located on the disc the body comes with. F*** you Panasonic, seriously.