Personal View site logo
GH3 user reviews and opinions
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • Side-by-side comparison of GH2 & GH3. Full 1080p download available on Vimeo.

• Not interested at all in contributing my work for such comparisons. Too much work, no payoff. A user on Vimeo (here too) by the handle of Shian already went through great lengths to post the kind of files you are asking for (dont watch those on Vimeo, download the big source files). Watch them on a big plasma or, better yet, do the test for yourself in scenarios that represent your look, choice of lighting, in-camera settings, post work, representative output file for whatever your typical mode of delivery is, etc. If you don't see the differences, it doesn't matter:-/ My stuff is optimized for Christie m series. pure subjectivity led me to a decision that my eyes are quite pleased with. i also know what i need.. doubtful you"ll figure anything meaningful out by web comparisons or screen grabs

• Hey guys, I've shot the following with the Voigtlander 25mm at .95 at night. ISO was 1600. I noticed around lights there's a blue fringe on just about every light (see the reflection on the car window). I've uploaded a 100% crop of the issue. Is this the GH3 processing the image, the color temperature, or chromatic aberration on the Voigtlander. I set the white balance to 4500, then tried again at 5600. Is this normal? Thx

EDITED: I figured out the blue issue, I need to have focal point set to a closer physical distance than light source in frame.

BTW - Apologies on photosizes, I realized after they need to be scaled down. If anyone know the standards for the site so I don't break etiquette, please let me know.

bluestuffnightshooting.jpg
    2804 x 1894 - 6M
    5600blueissue.jpg
    1425 x 964 - 441K
  • @whitney Could you please upload 2 short clips (not necessarily of the same scene, although this would be nice) showing the "filmic" look of the GH2 vs. the "artificial" look of the GH3? This might serve as a reference for future tests with the GH3.

• Not sure the sensor attributes I am addressing may be fixed with lensing...but to answer I use only the manual focus kind in three variants via metabones adapters: Zeiss ZE, Leica R and old AI Nikkor.

• @vitaliy_kiselev

why should the paris video go in showcase, yet the 2 videos above this one weren't even shot on a gh3?

• @whitney With what lenses did you make this determination? thx

• Having both for commercial work, much prefer the no hack or hacked GH2 look to the stock GH3 50IPB settings. GH2 in 24p (at 1/40, 1/50 and 1/60) handles movement better, and, though not sure how to quantify, texture "feels" more filmic than the flat artificial look I am getting on the GH3. But both cameras are very good for dslr, and body features and increased DR is very good on new model...just wishing for a less Sony-like digi-look. But glad to have access to both for sub $2k. I'm doubtful a hack will get rid of the video look of the GH3, but maybe I still have some hopes. Trying BMC next week!

• Hey guys, I finally got my GH3... Is there any way to figure out what the scene profiles actually and specifically do in terms of the image (.I.e. vidid, standard vs. Normal, portrait, etc.)? Any recommendations for photos? Any distinction about values for sharpness, contrast, saturation. noise reduction for photos as opposed to video?

Second, does GH3 need a UV filter for day? I was using a Hoya evo smc uv filter at night, and was having major issues with lights on voigt 25mm. Thx!

• I'm late to this party as I haven't been paying much attention to the GH3 (though I'm eager to find out whether it can be hacked). Just wanted to give @shian props on his four-way camera shootout videos, particularly the creative lighting he used to highlight the subtleties of the cameras' dynamics and color rendition. Rather than trying to guess which camera was which, I followed his on-screen instructions and ranked the cameras according to my own personal tastes. My results confirmed one important thing to me: I know what I like!

Here are my picks, best to worst:

Camera 3: Rich texture, pleasing colors --- hacked GH2

Camera 4: Almost as rich as Cam 3, but less consistent --- GH3

Camera 2: Nice colors but dull textures --- 5Dmk3

Camera 1: Waxy and flat --- sorry BMCC fans, it's just not my cup of tea!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Sorry, I thought that was small. : ) Won't do it again.

• @gpcreative

No need to upload full size photos, proper services for this exist :-)

• Here's a photo I took with the GH3.

Remy-003-GH3.jpg
    4608 x 3072 - 1M
  • @chenopup SDHC I cards are problematic.

• @driftwood - Thanks for the heads up - I'm picking up a 95Mbps but I'll dig out the 30's as well and test those - Something with the card or write speed at 45MB/s?

• @chenopup Sandisk Extreme Pro 45MB/s cards are not brilliantly reliable. Use 95Mbps cards or HD Video Extreme 30Mbps 8/16/32 cards.

• @From_Paris Started to watch the film only for the GH3 image quality - but almost at once became fully involved in the stories being told. Had to watch until the end! Very nice narration, too. Great job!

• @From_Paris

It is best to post this in Showcase, not here.

• @ehmeddie Picked up my GH3 body today. Pal version. My EVF is not as good an the GH2. I think it is fine to compose your shots if you have time. But when I do some live documentation of theater I think I will find it harder. It is a big shame re the EVF. I have kept my GH2's and if it is a problem I will use the GH2 for live work. But I am sure the camera has other positive attributes.

• French TV documentary that I made with the GH3 :

• I want to buy a body lumix gh3 but I need to know if you have solved the problem of the EVF is definiately a problem?

• @SuperSet - I may chime in on the Pany twitter feed and see if they've heard of it.

• @chenopup I've also run across this a few times, using the same codec and SD cards. I don't know what's causing it.

• I've had my GH3 for about a week now - LOVING IT! - However I've stumbled on to a particular issue where I can't figure what may be causing it - Shooting 50Mbps - Sandisk Extreme Pro 45MB/s card - I've had 5 instances where I push start record and it stops after exactly one sec. No rhyme or reason - have had it do it 1/3 way through a card, halfway through a card and just now at the beginning of a newly formatted card - haven't tested another card yet but have had zero issues with this one to date -

thoughts?

• @Frame

I understand. My opinion though of the GH2 was/is a very nice camera with the Hack and you can achieve great professional results as I have done. GH3 imo is like GH2 Hack but more reliable as you do not have to worry about anything going wrong.

To me as I always upgrade my gear ( Gear Head) it was only natural. For someone maybe looking for a specific tests that shows GH2 vs GH3 in many scenarios and why one is better than the other might never find one. I spend my time shooting and editing, not really doing such specific tests as I know there are many more professional technicians in that field. I'm more into creating Art....

I will say though the GH3 is a great camera and I really like it a lot. I still use my GH2 but not as much.

** Off topic post. I have worked with F3, Red, Canon, etc. A camera is not really that 100% important all of the time. If you have 10-15k for a budget you need to make the decision where your money goes. Spend 3k+ on a red then more time in post? Or spend 1k on more lighting, 1k in art department and another 1k and shoot the project on 2 rigged out GH2's/3's with some nice glass in the front.......

Peace