Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • Put the weather sealing to a test in a snowstorm that ended up dumping 2 feet at the farm. Filmed the horses this time and I was amazed at how useable the little EVF was. Like the Snowshoeing film, no way to pull focus in deep snow and gloves so I actually relied on AFS as well.

• Shooting that flat in darker situations is going to cause problems. Shooting in such bright conditions is very different to shooting at night or indoors under natural light.

Running some tests I would say imo that is way to low. Also flatter settings doesn't mean yours looks like film and someone else like video.

Using the saturation that low is very hard to bring it back up if you want a real saturated picture. Also contrast and sharpness that low imo makes the picture look dull if you do not have a lot of lighting.

Personally I like to get the look in camera, if you are going for a neutral look do that there, more saturated as well.

I just edited a recent project shot on GH2 where the look was basically achieved in camera. The Talented "Collin Quinn" shot this and to my understanding posts on these very boards.

New Music video for Sean Paul "Body" Shot on Hacked GH2's

• This was mostly a way to test the new settings. I got a pair of these specifically to shoot slow motion footage as part of a second and third camera kit. I've just started a two year project, lots of locations and much of it involving trekking. I benefitted from a lot of input from users here and other groups so that when the cameras arrived I had a good starting point for a solid profile.

I shot a few scenes for a commercial last week at -5 -5 -5 -5 to see how flat of a file I could get for grading and matching the two other cameras in the spot.

This particular project involves 17 individual films, with a small team and I'd like to have as solid of a "negative" as possible to start with given the hundreds of hours of editing thats' going to be involved. So far the -4 -4 -2 -5 is looking good but I'll keep testing in the coming weeks.

• @jimagine Those dogs look very happy. :) The settings seem to work for the video. Did you spend a lot of time comparing different settings to get to them, or was it more of a "this seems to work and I'm going to run with it" sort of a situation?

I agree that the sharpness was not an issue in the video.

• @jimagine

Wow... that was a great looking video. Nice settings for detail... sharp, but still natural. The 60fps 1080p mode looks really really nice...

• We're liking Neutral, -4 -4 -2 -5 for natural colors and a good "negative' for color correcting. But of course there's a lot of room to experiment. The real issue with this camera (and all DSLRs) is to keep away from the in-camera contrast and sharpening that crushes blacks and gives false detail (screams video). I was very pleased shooting that in this ultra high contrast piece, especially as the sun set and the WB shifted blue. I was in deep snow and gloves and using the EVF and AFS. I was easily able to put a nice curve on it in post and warm the colors to match the changing conditions. 50mb .mov is a pretty nice little codec.

• Thanks, i'll try with that specs.

Hope panasonic will bring us something about color profiling, i'm missing cinestyle.

Heard anything about it ?

• Yes, that works. NR -5 is essential. You can fool with sharpness a bit if your lens is on the soft side. I keep saturation at 0 since I know I will be going high in post but -5 is OK. Contrast should be -5.

• You mean Portrait at -5 -5 -5 -5 ?

Thanks

• It looks to me like portrait is the flattest.

• Hi, I'm looking for some color profile tests, what's the best one ?

I'm actually at -5 everywhere.

Thanks !

(i mean the flattest one, like cinestyle)

• @shian just wondering when we might find out your views on your recent GH3 tests? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, thanks :)

• Exposure is all over the place in that FB comparison, really tough to measure the benefits of one camera over another. The viewing bitrate is also horrible. That being said, the GH3 does show respectable DR and shadow detail, noticeably better than the FS700 costing 6X more. I'd like to see a more scientific test like this one performed, maybe we'll see it in the next Zacuto shootout.

• From the thread of Shian on vimeo:

Sittipong Kongtong wrote:

I just shot test 6 cameras yesterday, December 25, 2012, with Alexa+Gemini 444 to record Arri Raw, Red Epic, Red One MX, Sony F3+Gemini 444 to record Uncompress S-log, Sony FS700 and GH3 with same lens, UltraPrime 24 and 85 mm on the same place. It was clearly that the Alexa Raw the winner, but for the GH3, not the last. It performed much much better than some of those expensive cameras in term of dynamic range and details. You could find out from this link;

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.572843496074971.154243.100000479769338&type=3

The video from the comparative, currently only has it on facebook, but can see in HD,

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=573093326049988&set=vb.100000479769338&type=3

• another one in slow motion:

• aahhhh - sorry @Vitaliy

• @Butt

Video is present on last page :-)

• @all No fuss, please - I assess new GH3, in my view - still reminds me of the mud watched ungehackte GH1, despite the better DR For example (mud!!!), in this video -

I think the "Hack" of Vitaliy will improve this mud

• @ldbonilla

Do not turn topic into chat. Use Edit.

• Thanks George, I didn't know that. I'll try the other ones. ;_; Here's the video just for future reference. ;_;