Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • It looks to me like portrait is the flattest.

• You mean Portrait at -5 -5 -5 -5 ?

Thanks

• Yes, that works. NR -5 is essential. You can fool with sharpness a bit if your lens is on the soft side. I keep saturation at 0 since I know I will be going high in post but -5 is OK. Contrast should be -5.

• Thanks, i'll try with that specs.

Hope panasonic will bring us something about color profiling, i'm missing cinestyle.

Heard anything about it ?

• We're liking Neutral, -4 -4 -2 -5 for natural colors and a good "negative' for color correcting. But of course there's a lot of room to experiment. The real issue with this camera (and all DSLRs) is to keep away from the in-camera contrast and sharpening that crushes blacks and gives false detail (screams video). I was very pleased shooting that in this ultra high contrast piece, especially as the sun set and the WB shifted blue. I was in deep snow and gloves and using the EVF and AFS. I was easily able to put a nice curve on it in post and warm the colors to match the changing conditions. 50mb .mov is a pretty nice little codec.

• @jimagine

Wow... that was a great looking video. Nice settings for detail... sharp, but still natural. The 60fps 1080p mode looks really really nice...

• @jimagine Those dogs look very happy. :) The settings seem to work for the video. Did you spend a lot of time comparing different settings to get to them, or was it more of a "this seems to work and I'm going to run with it" sort of a situation?

I agree that the sharpness was not an issue in the video.

• This was mostly a way to test the new settings. I got a pair of these specifically to shoot slow motion footage as part of a second and third camera kit. I've just started a two year project, lots of locations and much of it involving trekking. I benefitted from a lot of input from users here and other groups so that when the cameras arrived I had a good starting point for a solid profile.

I shot a few scenes for a commercial last week at -5 -5 -5 -5 to see how flat of a file I could get for grading and matching the two other cameras in the spot.

This particular project involves 17 individual films, with a small team and I'd like to have as solid of a "negative" as possible to start with given the hundreds of hours of editing thats' going to be involved. So far the -4 -4 -2 -5 is looking good but I'll keep testing in the coming weeks.

• Shooting that flat in darker situations is going to cause problems. Shooting in such bright conditions is very different to shooting at night or indoors under natural light.

Running some tests I would say imo that is way to low. Also flatter settings doesn't mean yours looks like film and someone else like video.

Using the saturation that low is very hard to bring it back up if you want a real saturated picture. Also contrast and sharpness that low imo makes the picture look dull if you do not have a lot of lighting.

Personally I like to get the look in camera, if you are going for a neutral look do that there, more saturated as well.

I just edited a recent project shot on GH2 where the look was basically achieved in camera. The Talented "Collin Quinn" shot this and to my understanding posts on these very boards.

New Music video for Sean Paul "Body" Shot on Hacked GH2's

• Put the weather sealing to a test in a snowstorm that ended up dumping 2 feet at the farm. Filmed the horses this time and I was amazed at how useable the little EVF was. Like the Snowshoeing film, no way to pull focus in deep snow and gloves so I actually relied on AFS as well.

• Published on Jan 1, 2013 GH2 vs GH3 Anamorphic Lens Tests

I was in a rush so the anamorphic isn't aligned correctly. This test is mainly for sharpness and color contrast between the GH2 and GH3.

Panasonic GH2 w/ Flow Motion v2.02 Hack, Vivid -2,-2,-2,-2 Panasonic GH3, Vivid -3,-5,-4,-5

Lenses used: Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 45-200mm F4-5.6 Panasonic LA7200 1.33x Anamorphic Sankor 2x Anamorphic

Perspective is different even though I used them on the same tripod. GH2 is 1.86x sensor crop, GH3 is 2x sensor crop.

• Sorry for so many posts but I also had to add that it's not mine but found.

• I have not seen this posted yet, Filmmaker Magazine frontpage on the GH3: http://filmmakermagazine.com/61709-shooting-angels-with-the-panasonic-gh3-in-mexico/

Video from the article:

• An aerial and nocturn shot.

@kellar42, that look good.

• I want to have the posibility of shooting anamorphic (1920/800 if I want 2.4 aspect ratio) directily in camera. It will be the better at the easiest way... No adapters, no more work in post, less pixels to process=more room for codec. I tried with ptool for GH2, but it was only for mjpeg, and the result has not the natural proportions. So, what do you have to say about this guys? Since I posted this on the other GH3 thread and The Great Vitaly asked me to write here and he had nothing to say about this subject, I expect no more answers from you...Maybe it is an utopy... . I am quite sad... Two years ago, I wrote on dvxuser/AF100 about the possibility of zooming trought the size of the sensor, but, the same, no answer. Today, we have this option even on smartphone!!! Some cameras have it too. G5 and GH3 have a zoom roker, but this function not! Not yet! It is EX, but nobody wants zooming?!... Nobody wants to shoot 2.4 directly in camera? SO, tell me if it is utopic, or no use, or dificult to achieve, or imposible...

• Squeezing the data from the sensor to something anamorphic has been done in early HDV already. It will never look like done by a lens. The very specific look of OOF areas and highlights is what everybody is asking for when going anamorphic.

• It is possible to record 4:3 footage with high bitrate and 24p on GH3, in order to get a 2.66:1 aspect with a 2x anamorphic lens?

• the GH3 Test with a little HolyGrain Filmgrain

• Hey guys, I'm a complete noob about the Panasonics, having used a Canon for the last 5 years. I'm getting my GH3 tomorrow and was wondering what are the best settings to use for general narrative work? From what I've read, apparently the All-Intra isn't great?

• Someone share this opinion???

• If someone presents a better U$ 1299 option for video and camera I am all ears ...I would accept any opinion, Hitler´s included ....

• Quick test, graded with Film Convert.