Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Windmotion - upsampling to 4:4:4
  • 263 Replies sorted by
  • @rean

I am incapable of exporting to H264, I always get an error message (screenshot attached)

I have downloaded the files from the recommended site but there is no info whatsoever anywhere about where these files are supposed to be placed, if they need to be renamed (all files download as X264.exe even though there are supposedly 4 different encoders and WM is asking for X264-10bit.exe)

Some simple instructions on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

WM H264 error ScrnSht.PNG
    666 x 338 - 36K
  • Download x264 10 bit ..rename X264.exe in X264-10bit.exe

put in C:\Soft\Video\Windmotion\x64\

Sorry for my poor English..

• @kurt10

Thank you kindly for the info, much appreciated!

• Hello Gh2 hack Flow 2.02-Windmotion 0.4.0.Alpha7-Summilux 25 dg

Original (Extract to TIFF) http://www.mediafire.com/view/?drl1wfbbcnr4t8c

Utvideo 444 (Extract to TIFF) http://www.mediafire.com/view/?4uyscbcq3hfvz4f

Download the files..

• @kurt10

Kurt, where do you get Utvideo 444 from? I am on PC and do not see that option.

• Make avi utvideo ds silent rgb.bat

:)

• Thanks, Kurt, will try tommorow.

Cheers

• @kurt10

In both examples you posted we can clearly see that more details have been extracted from the original clip when we zoom in to the converted image. However, I am not finding any increase in detail when I examine the files I've upsampled.

Are you applying sharpening to your files? If not, would you mind explaining the steps you are taking from stock file > final output. I must be doing something wrong and have no clue how to proceed outside the limited instructions in the read me file.

TIA

• @rean Work looks good! Are you looking to add 444 prores as an output option or is it not viable? Or could Cineform be a potential addition? Either of these would be useful for a non-PC based workflow.. (and some NLEs)

F.i. avi is particularly difficult to convert (well) on a mac. MKV, I guess, can be quite easily re-wrapped but having any of the above would make one processing step obsolete.

• @RRRR Strange. Prores 4:4:4 is implemented with two export versions: over ffmpeg or ffmbc. Also there is a mkv and avi export with utcodec - currently the fastest possible free lossless codec for Windows.

Cineform export probably may be implemented, but in 8 bit over avi, if there is a free DirectShow encoder available. 10 bit or more is not possible, because it requires c++ coding but I don't want to code it. I have no time and finances for this. Use H.264 if you really need in 10 bit.

You can also manually create any export you like over DirectShow (8 bit only) or ffmpeg (up to 16bit) using existing export scripts as an example. Also you can change a resulted container for any other, not only avi, mkv or mov.

• @rean, AVS2YUV supports 16-bit AVI. Isn't it a solution for 10-bit Cineform?

• @zsero, Yes, but it is not avs2avi that can use system API to encode video. Avs2yuv passes raw console output to unix-like command line tools. Has cineform command-line tools those understand this method?

• Version 0.5.0.Alpha8, 2013-03-13

• We moved from ffdshow to LAV Filters. Please uninstall ffdshow first.
    • New feature: ViewYUV script and function.
    • New feature: ScreenABC.
    • New feature: Amplify added to Convert.
    • New feature: AddNoise, PassEdge16, PassFlat16 added to Pro.
    • Intense, To16bit, Color16bit values optimized.
    • PlayEdit memory use optimized.
    • Color16bit sharp with all channels.
    • Span size decreased for Sony cameras (some 2026 MiB files spanned incorrectly).
    • Bugfix: DiffAB instead of SrcDiffAB in Color16bit and Final16bit.
    • Bugfix: Incorrect names: DirectShowVideo, WindmotionDisplayH.
    • Bugfix: UtCodec crash workaround (crash PlayEdit on avi with sound). But crash on regular scripts don't fixed.
    • Bugfix: Histograms corrected to use small clips.
    • Bugfix: Distributor call is not necessary.
    • Avisynth MT updated to 9-mar-2013 version.
    • DirectShowSource.dll updated to IanB latest build.
    • Masktools MT updated to 9-mar-2013 version (06_taro build).
    • FFmpeg updated to 20130306.
    • x264 updated to 2273.
    • Minor corrections.

This build is still not stable. I have crashes on very large MTS sources (25 minutes, 1080p50, >70000 frames) on default 4 threads. These issues will be fixed later. It is too hard to test stability - crash can happen after one hour of processing. Also some optimizations are still required to faster decoding of H.264. The first step is to move to LAV Filters and enable hardware decode, but processing is anyway slow. I know a way, but it will be published later.

• Oops. I have bad news, guys.

I made ​​a mistake on a development stage, thinking that using 4:4:4 instead of 4:2:0 will not take too much space and will increase the processing time quite a bit. But in reality it turned out it's different. I have usage results on a real big video project (one hour of 50p video 1920x1080).

The current script set is too slow for one hour video (two weeks of processing) and it eats around 3-4 TiB memory space. It is too big and slow for regular use (I have smaller HDD size and cannot render this project).

I have also big problems in stability of Avisynth for these big files. These problems can be fixed, but in cost of processing time. Also a realtime processing will not be possible in this case.

So we need to cut most of features, i.e. disable 4:4:4 processing or decrease the resulted quality and usability. Also a release time will be shifted to the far future.

Sorry for all who wait for a release.

• Anyone who has got this to work could kindly provide a basic work flow? do you just go into every folder in the vm directory and double click every single bat file in there? is there a specific order of execution? some of the files are numbered some don't have numbers. The folder structure is clearly numbered as to where to start. If you make a mistake how do you clear and start a fresh? I am following the instructions in the read me file, they are a bit vague. For example if instructions could say start in folder 1, double click bat files numbered 1 - 10 (do not double click and of the files which do not have numbers?

• Windmotion is back... I found a way to get it faster, easier and more stable with only a very small quality loss. Also I use this version in a real commercial video project now. So, a final version (with a documentation) will be ready soon.

Version 0.6.0.Alpha9, 2013-06-18

This is a fully rewritten version.
    Support of 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 is added for fast processing.
    Support of multiple project resolution and color mode profiles.
    Script architecture is changed for speed and usability.
    Memory use optimizations: new 4:4:4 file format, less temp file usage.
    Speed optimizations: fast algorithms, Y8 code, file format changes.
    Simple Windmotion directory structure.
    Export optimizations (H.264 by default with ffmpeg, params).
    Better 8-16-8 bit conversion.
    Better 601/709 color conversion.
    Better lossless H.264 files support (fastdecode, keyint 4).
    Better multichannel audio support (L,R channels in PlayEdit).
    Better NEX-7 color shift profiles (Pro).
    Film and audio project support is improved (Pro).
    Fast preview avi (720p 4:2:0) for film scripts (Pro).
    Full set of film functions is added (Pro).
    Audio compression (mp3 and flac) is added (Pro).
    Sony HX20 optimized profile is added.
    Support of different camera models are temporary disabled.
    Internal 16-bit masktools functions. Dither.avsi is removed.
    Most components are updated to the latest version.
    Some components are removed, new components are added.
    Bugfix: dehalo and sharp code is corrected.
    Bugfix: Crash on long files is fixed on i7 (2 or 4 threads).
    Bugfix: avs2yuv is used instead of avs2avi because crashes with Avisynth MT.
    Many other small improvements.

• Nice one! Thanks for sharing.

• Can someone please provide some more video samples? I don't know why this isn't generating a lot more buzz. This stuff is great.

• @Ian_T it is because the program is a complicated for understanding now, because there is no documentation yet. So many users do not understand how to work with it. The documentation will be available later, so more buzz is coming soon :)

• Probably this is the latest alpha. Beta versions are coming soon.

Version 0.7.0.Alpha10, 2013-06-25

EncodeFilm360.bat is added.
    EncodeFilm H.264 presets are speed+quality optimized now.
    Denoise functions quality optimizations.
    A possibility to change fps after denoise.
    Sharp quality optimizations (Pro).
    New denoise functions, including GPU-based (Pro).
    Encode film in mp4, aac, flac is added (Pro).
    Optimized film encode presets (Pro).
    Automatic film clip names generation (Pro).
    New function MotionBlur8 (Pro).
    Optimized Sony HX20 Avsi (Pro).
    x264, ffmpeg, flac, LAVFilters, MatroskaSplitter are updated to the latest versions.
    Bugfix: Stability of Edit scripts improved (crash on denoise).
    Bugfix: PlayEdit clipboard paste command Ctrl-V works correctly now.
    Scripts refactoring and optimizations.
    Range of camera support added.
    TODO: Documentation in progress.

• I hope you plan to make this a one-click simple solution. If you need help creating a GUI, maybe I can help :) - feel free to send a PM.

• Windmotion 4K Technology Preview Sample.

This is a ProRes video sample in 4K (4096x1714, 4:2:2, 406 Mbps). It is created from a Panasonic GH2 footage (1920x1080, 4:2:0, 140 Mbps) using Windmotion 0.8.0 Beta 1 Pro Edition. Processing: crop, YUV denoising, upsacale, special detail sharp, film grain noise and dithering. All processing made in Windmotion only.

Video is updated, see page 7 for examples

Footage copyrighted by Space Ludwig.

The beta version will be available to download soon. This version will be final development version before version 1.0. This version is currently tested on real Full HD video projects.

• This is terribly exciting! I'm very interested from a post-production point of view if this tool can help control blue and red channel noise? would make for much better grading and especially chroma-key if one is required to use a blue screen. Obviously it would improve grading as well in terms of trying to get a bit of dynamic range lift in the shadows with some control over noise.

• @virgilr, there are 4 denoise types available now to use (but one in a community edition). Any processing is per channel independent. Probably it may help in keying, but I have no test results yet. GH2 has poor U and V channels even on 140 Mbps. Also any other H.264-based encoding cameras have the same thing.

• I must say that the before and after is like night and day when it comes to detail (also detail in the blown highlights come back to life). I'm still trying to wrap my head around how it does this. In any case it is cool to be able to push the saturation all of the way and see absolutely no artifacts. I'm just having a problem with it in Sony Vegas. It runs fine for about a minute before I see a complete red screen and no video.