Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Windmotion - upsampling to 4:4:4
  • 263 Replies sorted by
  • I guess if you cant see the difference in the little girls before and after comparison then you probably don't need this software. Anyone else not seeing a difference in the bottom still? I can see the blocking in the top one that is fixed in the second one, but no difference in the side by side. Maybe the jpeg is masking the difference.

• Maybe the jpeg is masking the difference.

I have posted a 24-bit png from a 16-bit 4:4:4 original.

Of course, some users cannot see any difference. Most of users cannot see a difference between Youtube and a HQ video in 4K. Most of them use low quality systems, like a mp3 player for $1 and very happy with it.

Windmotion is not for these users.

• Oops... imgurl recompress the png source :(

Reposted again... PS. Please see in the real 100% resolution. Web browsers scale the source to fit it to a window.

• Hi Rean, I'm using a Nex-5N and I'm reallyinterested in trying your software, but I get a "Avi import filter error" when I do the 04.Check Avisynth and VirtualDub.bat.

Followed the steps carefully, placed Soft in C, run the .reg, installed the three programs.

Running Windows 8 64 bit.

• @rean, I think it's not easy to see a difference, because you are comparing them side by side. It's almost impossible for a human visual system to compare things side-by-side.

A better way would be just links to the original 2 source images and then you can just change tabs in your browser. Also, there is a special website just for comparing two images by mouse hover, but I forgot it's name.

• @jazzroy check reg file values in the registry. I had similar problems on Windows 8 x64. This is a next "super-puper" microsoft feature to not store reg files located not in Program Files. The next release will use installer to store values to registry, so we will have no similar problems.

@zsero ok. Will try to make different files in the future. But, anyway, the difference in very visible in the program.

• @zsero Sorry, but I cannot implement Cineform avi export because I know no way to pass 16 bit/channel video from Avisynth to DirectShow. Also ffmpeg/ffmbc have limited support of 10-bit codecs. Currently only DNxHD 4:2:2 10 bit and H.264 10 bit (all chroma sampling) can be used to export 16-bit video. ProRes support is very strange. I get 8-bit video even from a 16-bit source. So, probably I will code my own c++ code to implement export later, but not in a near future.

A question for GH2/3 owners. What a minimal size in bytes of a first 4GiB MTS file (spanning)? This data is required to implement correct import from your camera.

• @rean the strings for avisynth location weren't written, so I added them, but the .bat test file continues reporting same error.

• @jazzroy not all strings were applied. Install any official avisynth version or wait for Alpha3.

• @rean

It is impossible to use it "inside" and also as a plugin due Avisynth architecture limitations. Also different stages (~20) are used with a special visual control for every stage. Сurrently the program is for prepoduction only.

The alternative would be to build it as an installable codec that would replace the bundled MainConcept H.264 codec in both After Effects and Premiere Pro. This is how GoPro's CineForm codec is integrated into CS5 and CS6, using either AVI or Quicktime as file containers.

• I've keep my eyes on this project, I'm always looking a way to improve the footage I get from the camera.

I've used avisynth in the past a lot. It's incredible flexible and powerful, but not for newbies, you have to know (somehow) what you're doing. For denoising: Neat video beat anything I've used in avisynth, in avisynth I've always suffered for lost of details that NV don't. For film grain, I've used grainfactory a lot, it's amazing (and slow) script, but in the past years I've used match grain in AE.

• @rean Thank you for taking the time to develop this. I was curious if you or other members have suggestions to use Windmotion on an OS X system? Thanks.

• @icp the likely culprit for your loss of detail is, I'm betting, the avisynth solutions do their thing to not just the color information. The luma channel is fully sampled and will have very little to no noise compared to the blue and (sometimes) red channel. You can get the benefit of the noise reduction and restore your lost detail via something like After Effects. Layer your de-noised footage on top of the same clip in un-altered form and change the transfer mode of the de-noised footage to COLOR.

• @icp Corruption of details is not an Avisynth-issue. There are many methods to keep them. Windmotion will hide the Avisynth things knowledge. Just mouse clicks... I believe in it.

Wait a while. Now the program is horrible, I put it to public too early, because I was asked to do it quickly. But soon you will be surprised at how comfortable and elegant will all be working with Avisynth.

@puttydivision no ways to get it in MacOS, sorry. Of course, I can theoretically create it. But it requires 1000+ hours of programming. I do not have the financial ability to take away from my life for 5 years, to make the program what I do want. If I have a chance to invest in it, I can promise that I will also support MacOS.

@BurnetRhoades Windmotion already has beautiful denoiser and a possibility to use masking, working with channels, using motion-compensation and other things.

A restoring of details is not possible at all. It is mathematically correct. Do not look for magic algorithms. All the best that I have personally seen - turns into something like a cartoon image. Better originally nothing to lose and choose exactly what you need to fix and what to leave. Masking is a key.

• @rean I wasn't making any kind of comment on windmotion, but responding to his comment that Neat Video has always looked better than anything he's tried in avisynth, assuming he's not referring to your tool. Most denoisers that I've seen tend to use a lot of blurring and apply it to the luminance of the image as well when this is where the detail of the image is and where the least amount of noise is to be found.

That original detail can be put back intact, and enhanced, while the chroma, where the noise is going to be found, can be aggressively denoised. That's quite possible. That is a fact.

• @BurnetRhoades & @rean: I've not used windmotion, but I´m interested in the tool. I like avisynth and what you can achieve with this free tool. The film script I wrote about it's amazing, but as a mac os x user I've just used match grain in After Effects to avoid one more step in the workflow for similar results.

About Neat Video, I'm not talking anything technical here (that's what makes NV attractive, just find an area with the grain, sample it, check after/before and if you're happy: render), I just saw that in windmotion plus the improvements to the image (something that can compete with 5dtoRGB afaik) there's going to be a the denoising option. A lot of folks like me use this: 5DtoRGB to convert to Prores and apply a full range, and then denoise with Neat Video, then you go and edit & finally apply color correction. As a final user (filmmaker&editor), I just want to avoid steps. If windmotion can deliver similar results to this combination, then I'll make use of it in my workflow for sure.

• Windmotion 0.1.0 Alpha3 is here. http://snovidenie.com/windmotion/download/

What's new:

Beta versions renamed to alpha. Huge feature update coming soon.

• New feature: Full screen video player with an integrated editor.
    • New feature: Camera-specific avsi generation.
    • New feature: DVD VOB, general video and more cameras support (40+ camera models).
    • New feature: Faster edit with a cropped version.
    • New feature: Crop and Resize.
    • New feature: Change Fps and Delay Audio.
    • New feature: Deblocking using SmoothD2.
    • New feature: Advanced masking functions.
    • New feature: Little histogram modes. Support of small video sizes.
    • New feature: Play with sound.
    • New feature: Restarting viewer when memory is full or viewer crashed.
    • New feature: More general Trim support. Final Trim to remove non-denoised frames.
    • New feature: Advanced logging. Tee added.
    • New feature: Play lsb frame for 16-bit video.
    • New feature: One AB function for all processing functions.
    • New feature: Automatic detecting of fps and resolution. Info2Bat added.
    • New feature: A/B YUV channel viewers.
    • New feature: Fix vertical flip for some MJPEG videos.
    • New feature: Fix fake interlaced clips using BlendTwoFrames.
    • New feature: Color matrix is used to convert RGB-YUV.
    • New feature: DNxHD, ProRes 8/10bit via ffmpeg or ffmbc.
    • New feature: Combined output format: 8 or 16 bit for all commands.
    • New feature: Software Installer.
    • New feature: AvisynthHere to move Windmotion to another folder.
    • Project files (*.bat) updated to more general use.
    • Simplier and faster generated avsi code with comments.
    • Updated project directory structure.
    • Faster Deinterlace processing.
    • Deshaker included in all editions.
    • Deshaker uses color matrix to convert YUV-RGB
    • Deshaker code optimization
    • Vignetting and Sony NEX-7 color shift profiles with all frame sizes.
    • Format conversion improvement.
    • Export advanced export options including bitrate, CPU cores and quality.
    • Support of space chars in file names.
    • Support of general video files with the same created time.
    • Backup and undo code are totally rewritten.
    • VirtualDub and Notepad++ are removed.
    • Windmotion settings in separated avsi.
    • Source code refactoring with more comments. Some functions changed.
    • Stability improved.
    • UtVideo updated to 12.0.1
    • x264 updated to 2245 (JEEB)
  • Will this run through Wine if you're on Mac OS X?

• @rean, can you provide some guide/screenshots to the codecs/tools installation?

@Hallvalla, I think this is a super integrated windows tool with lots of codecs and helper tools, it'd be super hard to make all pieces software ported to Mac. Like imagine porting Quartz Composer to Windows.

On the other hand, it should work fine in virtual machines.

• @Hallvalla I don't know. Program installs 3 DirectShow codecs and itself. Also DirectX 9 is internally used to play Video. Here are lots of batch files used, those require Windows CMD.exe to handle them. If Wine allows to use *.bat files, DirectX and DirectShow, probably it will work.

@zsero I will try to make it soon with a simple instruction how to use it. Currently installing is simple. Just click to "Next" for all installer steps.

• Some tricks to working with a video window:

• Click and drag - move a video
    • Double click to video - change a resolution to full screen and to back to 1:1 view.
    • Click and scroll - change video view zoom.

Some tricks to working with a frame position viewer:

• Click - direct change a frame position
    • Click and scroll - move frame position by one frame.
    • Click and drag - move a frame position.
    • Right click - play/pause.

Commands:

• Ctrl-S - save current state and reload video. Not requires if you close the window - it saves all changes automatically.
  • It seems there's still some issues for me to get it working. I finally succeded in having Avisytnh correctly registered, but next problem is that while importing audio is not converted giving error.

Just a note: Instructions are a bit misleading about MTS position, it would be better to write: create a folder and put inside it your MTS file and the "wm" folder (at first I put the MTS inside the "wm" folder!) Just switch point 02 with point 03.

• @jazzroy

while importing audio is not converted giving error.

What error do you mean?

• This one. It doesn't produce the WAV file and so nothing of the next steps can work.

error.jpg
    635 x 303 - 118K
  • @jazzroyjazzroy you use an old version. Download the new version. It is absolutely different and works correctly with 40 cameras currently supported.

But, anyway, if you use Sony-NEX, the same as my camera (I have NEX-5 and NEX-7), the conversion should work correctly. It seems you have no codecs installed, so the program cannot play a sound. These codecs are located on the subdirectory "Install", if you use Alpha2. The new version installs all required stuff automatically. Note: wm directory is absolutely different. Also avsi files in current Alpha4 are not compatible with Aplha2 projects. Restore your original MTS files before using Alpha4. There are "undo" files in the directory "src" to do it (or in "temp\src", sorry I have not remember the right place). Alpha4 works with undo in different way. You always can get your original MTS from any camera in any project stage.