Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 user reviews and opinions
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • I don't regret that i bought GH3, it is great camera, i just pointed out that it has moire, so if possible you can choose other objects and avoid this kind of shots :-) Moire is present even on much more hi end DSLR cameras ... Below are some other shots that make me love GH3

• People obsessed with moire are missing out on one hell of a good camera. There have already been resolution charts shot on both cameras that show the increase in moire is very slight over the GH2. If that is not good enough, perhaps you should just go shoot something on your hacked GH2 rather than live a life of anxiety about a camera you have never even touched.

• @robbin for me, the test clips are very educational. Just saying that there are moire effects does not convey the severity of the situation, and if my future scenes are composed from moire-prone backgrounds, after seeing clips like the one presented by feha I would be very hesitant to buy the GH3 until I investigate and compare the issue with other hardware.

• @danyyyell > .... Are people afraid of the result? < - Yes!!!

• Gh3 have moire in certain shoots. Thats a fact. No need to do a test for that.

• @feha Thanks for posting, sad news, thanks anyway, I wish they (Panasonic) fix this somehow

• @feha I think it that moire/aliasing is a pure hardware thing at least in the case of dslr with much higher resolution sensor that output lower than 2k. So it is a bit wishful thinking to think that a firmware update could cure it. Another thing that bothers me is that no one who have the gh2 and gh3 are willing to do just a simple test that everybody has been clamoring for. Use a manual non panasonic lens with both camera if posible side by side or one after the other on a tripod and do some panning/motion on different subject matter that typically exibit moire like your above example. Are people afraid of the result?

• My little moire GH3 test ...

Hope they can fix this with firmware ...

• @jfilmmaker 14-140mm was used. Shutter 1/50 and 1/100 for the sharper closeup ... ISO 640

• @jfilmmaker Raw stills converted to DNGs in Lightroom. Imported sequence into After Effects for manipulation such as highlight recovery and digital zoom. Exported in DNxHD 175 10 bit for use on NLE timeline.

• @Alex what lenses and what shutter speeds were you shooting in 24p and 60p respectively for your video? Thx!

• @Tron How'd you pull off the zoom in time lapse? Was that done digitally from stills in post? Thx!

• shot in 1080p24 50IPB.

A rough water surface is pretty tough for h264 encoding. The GH3 dose a good job in MOV 1920x1080,24p 50Mbps.

• Quick street test for dynamic range in 50mbps IPB @ 40% playback speed. Also some timelapse acquired in Raw w/electronic shutter. Download the source file for better compression and smooth playback.

• did some work-flow tests with the all-Intra modes including the overcranked 40% frame rate setting. found that they all come into Avid MC6 and play great via AMA link. the long GOP 50mbit mode does not play smoothly even with a quad-core i7 and GPU acceleration. had limited success using eyeon connection for grading. recording seems very stable using the all-intra 72mbps modes using Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB SDXC card.

• Oh then you understand my standards in noise. :) A little difficult to find something similar to D4. I had the D4 and the three f2.8 lenses. Nikon D800, in my opinion, is a lot back from D4 in noise. But for sure is a very good camera. As for buying it, I do not want to buy again DSLR, I want to go to a mirrorless system now. The reasons are many, one of them is the size, one other is the high cost of the good lenses of Nikon and Canon. I am already in love with the idea of Voigtlander f0.95 lenses with a m43 camera. Thanks for the idea. :)

• zapatas, if you like D4 with full frame, the best bet would be to get D800e and have Mosaic filter installed, (to get rid of moire), I am still waiting for it from BH, will share the results as soon as I get it, have both D4 and D800e. GH3 and GH2 both great considering the weight and size, and the Nokton fast lenses, you do not really need iso 1600, if your F stop it 0.95 or 1.2)

1. BMC - fine grained noise. some color noise. least contrast.
    2. GH3 - fine grained noise. least color noise. more red skin tone.
    3. GH2 - good old noise. sharp image. more green tone.
  • After having the Nikon D4 for 5 months and then sell it, all cameras looks like "zero" to me because of the noise. Now I am looking to buy a new camera. I know I cannot find a similar camera with minimum noise in low light. I am thinking of the GH3 even if the noise is a lot (for only 1600 ISO in this video is a lot). But I am not sure yet if it is worth it. I do not see anything competitive to GH3 on this price range but I am not sure. The last video is nice home made and I prefer videos like this (not pro) to understand better some things about the camera.

@feha I am waiting for more of your videos and thank you. :)

• I got my GH3, here is my short low light test video:

Later on coming more test videos ... I need a GH3 hack to remove a time limit for EU models :-)

• @kholi I agree the blacks were crushed to approximate the blacks of the GH2. The first cam has to be the BMCC as the highlights have the smoothest rolloff. The last is the GH2 as you can see the skin highlights are getting close to the limit and the GH3 is no.2 based on reports that the GH3 has a little more DR than the GH2.

If that's not the order then I figure we are being deceived by the grading.

• @jrd -- Nah, it's not impossible to know. They'd have to do all sorts of voodoo to get the Blackmagic footage to look like the other two. The "Grade" on all three are crushed, not a fan but I think that you're right in that they're using that to try and even the field.

The first is absolutely Blackmagic, the other two look hyper similar and if they were examples I had to use to choose GH2 or GH3, I wouldn't know which one to get. They both look the same lol.

I guess that's a good thing.

• Gave bragg creek a quick coloring pass for fun: