Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • A point of fact from Mr. Bloom: 240GB SSD will hold 35 mins of RAW footage or 3 HOURS of ProRes footage. Choose wisely. :)

• Phil Bloom's BM review is now up.

Think want you want about Mr. Bloom, but he brought it to the point. Beside his review I was impressed about the image quality of the C300 this review were shot with: very nice natural skin tones, sharp and clear image. Unfortunately the C300 is way overpriced.

• Phil Bloom's BM review is now up.

• I must say i love the image. The colours of the BMCC keep amazing me. To me it really feels like going to the movies. And it seems the image could be easily combined with that from a GH2.

• no comments of content quality from my side to these films. German film shows the potential of dynamic range and imho it's very promising. I have no idea what is special from boxing training clip? My first thought that you could do it with a GH2 too.

In general I am not shure in my opion about daily benefit of this camera. I suppose in RAW shooting there will be a lot of follow-up cost to install a smooth RAW workflow especially for us people coming from the GH2. 1sec > 100MB means for 5min almost 40GB... you will have to hande, edit and back up these amounts. Nevertheless I am still impressed about quality

And in ProRes the lack of manual white balance, adjusting WB only in quite rough steps, no detailed ISO setting will, no higher frame rates can become a disadvantage for your daily jobs compared to a cheaper GH2 or higher priced FS 100/700. Mr. Bloom's beach clip is not suitable to jugde whether the ProRes workflow is usefull for shots I mostly do: testimonials, image short clips, technical tutorials etc.

Most attractive is the price and as my location is some hours away from next rental station I ordered one also - in addition to a FS 700 ;-)

• The German film is bad. They took too much noise out. Looks too video now because of it. Bloom's stuff looks great.

• Well just goes to show no matter what kind of gear you have - you can't polish a turd. I wouldn't jump to conclusions because of these lame examples :-)

• Did not like the last two shots at all. The German one was an overuse of camera traveling, motion etc. Felt very video like also. Lighting was not good at all. Too much wide angle shots with typical deformation mostly on the side. The second one was just flat. Never good to work with a white background if you have just a flat lighting and no grade no raw is going to change that. It is good they chose somebody like John brawley to make there first promo, it was miles better.

I see it coming, I see it coming ................................................ 13 stop raw junk, in quantity.

• Yeah, if I could afford it I'd grab a BMC and use it 90% of the time in ProRes mode. I'd save RAW for the tough shots that have lots of contrast, or VFX shots. Alas my bank accounts says 'not at this time.' It is excited to see the developments in this space though. :)

• PBloom is reporting that : The ProRes is beautiful. Sharp, flat as hell (very log-c alexa like) and way easier workflow than raw on the BMD cam. good enough for me.

...sounds great! Still crossing fingers for that ProRes 1080p 60fps option update!

If not though... the GH3/BMCC combo is sounding amazing! ... and both for under the price of a FS100/AF-100 when they were first released. We're getting spoiled!

• We need in-camera custom curve out of the box

• PBloom is reporting that : The ProRes is beautiful. Sharp, flat as hell (very log-c alexa like) and way easier workflow than raw on the BMD cam.

good enough for me.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev - as to the shutter angle, I disagree. The Alexa uses a spinning shutter and for that, I think it renders the best motion. It's shutter is adjustable. IMO, the "real" shutter beats the rolling shutter any day. I don't see them going anywhere.

• Great video. Many interesting points. If the auto-iris button sets the white point to just under the clipping point on the sensor then that could also explain the movement of the curve.

• @johnbrawley I made the graphs in Google Docs but the data comes from a table of values that is contained in each DNG called a linearization table. This lookup table is used in the process of "linearizing" the 12bit LOG RAW values into 16bit values although I don't actually know if Resolve uses this table itself at all. I will do some tests later this week to see what happens when I mess with the table in an image.

Anyway I used exiftool to extract the table of 4096 values from your afterglow sample DNG files but I only found two tables being used. One used for shots 1,2,3 and one used for 4,5.

To answer your question I don't think you can make a judgement about clipping in the raw based on these lookup tables, but your question does draw attention to the differences in the curves.

I was wondering if the difference in curves might come out of a method to avoid color posterisation in the highlights approaching clipping. If one RGB channel is clipping or approaching clipping before the others then you risk colored highlights which seems to be considered a bad thing although in RAW you wonder if it is something to be worried about.

Maybe the RGB channels can get out of whack due to a white balance setting. I am not sure. I have to finish this post by saying I have no idea why/how these curves work in practice; but I would like to know.

It's enough to say I would like to know more about all technical aspects of the camera. I expect the subject to be moving target - I'm sure each firmware update will be like christmas for next few years.

• All three parts:

• @Kristian_Lam Good to see you here. I was wondering if you are getting help from the Teranex eggheads for the debayering stuff? Keep up the great work. Also hope that the marketing guys aren't running the ship and are letting you get it as right as possible.

• @vicx Hi. What did you use to generate that graph ? looks cool.

I presume you're talking about the DNG's ?

From memory, I did set the ISO to 1600, but my production / non-engineering understanding is that it doesn't really change anything with the DNG's themselves.

Seems though maybe you're finding that they are ? Could it just be that the scene content (being duk night) was enough to do that ?

I was pretty confident that there was no clipping in the first three shots and your chart seems to indicate that there is ? There might have been some small point source specular highlights in the sparkles of her dress. Is your chart sensitive enough to pick that up ?

jb

• @rockroadpix

Don't see reason of tragedy. Nothing wrong about not knowing about shutter angle. The sooner this term will go into oblivion - the better.

• @ahbleza - yeah, tv is one thing... There are plenty of eng cams that have fixed shutter angle. I was just surprised that this guy was "chosen".

• Hey guy's great new about the BMC Grant Petty himself is projecting enabling 1080/60p, or 720/60p in camera via software update he didn't specify which one incredible stuff.. here is the video below..

• @johnbrawley Thanks for the clarification.

In your afterglow samples, Shots 1,2,3 had a different linearization table to shots 4,5. Is this due to you setting the ISO differently or did the camera do this automagically?

oimg.png
    971 x 712 - 16K