Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
DaVinci Resolve 9
  • 179 Replies sorted by
  • Timeline V3 seems to show Text edit...

• Hey...

Sounds better than assumed a month ago http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/114699#Comment_114699

... more and more NLE like with OpenFX plug-ins ...

@Vitaliy_Kiselev doesn't sound like "low developer resources" more like "new investors"

scr-edit.jpg
    909 x 348 - 76K
  • DaVinci Resolve 10

Before I get to other Ultra HD products, we have a major update to DaVinci Resolve this year with the new DaVinci Resolve 10. Of course DaVinci Resolve already handles 4K and Ultra HD resolutions!

We have new on set tools for sound sync, as well as Resolve Live which lets you grade from your camera in real time. There are new editing features, support for OpenFX plug-ins and new delivery tools that let you render in Resolve direct to a Digital Cinema Package file for digital cinemas when purchasing a license from EasyDCP. This means you can online to a cinema file direct from the camera RAW files all in one pass for amazing quality!

The new Resolve Live feature lets you grade live from the video input of your system so you can grade live from the camera. It’s the same as how a DaVinci 2K grading system works!

Resolve Live lets you grade live from the camera and then save those grades and relink them to the media files from the camera at the end of the shoot. You can even grade from the Thunderbolt connection of the Blackmagic Cinema Camera. Resolve Live lets you add as many nodes and color corrections as you like.

There are also new editing features in DaVinci Resolve 10 including full multi track editing with 16 channels of audio per clip and unlimited video and audio tracks in the timeline.

Audio can be synced or trimmed and dragged independently to the timeline. Other new editing features include extensive ripple, roll, slide and slip clip trimming support which display dynamically on the timeline and viewer. The viewer also allows split screen display to show in and out points of adjacent clips.

Editing in DaVinci Resolve 10 also includes a built in title tool with static, lower third, scroll and crawl titles with multiple fonts, size, drop shadow and XY positioning. Timelines in DaVinci Resolve 10 also include the support of compound clips with multiple elements including multiple video and audio tracks.

DaVinci Resolve 10 can edit stereoscopic 3D projects with full support for left and right eye clips in the media pool and the edit timeline. Using timecode and reel name, DaVinci Resolve 10 will automatically associate the left and right eye of the stereoscopic clips.

Of course color correction has been upgraded and includes new OpenFX plug-ins as well as unlimited windows in a node, recursive noise reduction and lots of other new features.

DaVinci Resolve 10 will be available as a free update to all DaVinci Resolve customers in Q3. DaVinci Resolve Lite will also include these new on set, editing enhancements, plug in support and color correction updates. It’s an exciting update!

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/dvres/

Very interesting, sounds like Resolve is getting more NLE-like features and the Lite version gets the same real-time grading workflow.

• @tinyrobot - My problem was two fold.

1. My RED One footage had some retiming effects applied in Premiere that DaVinci would crash on (I don't think this is a Premiere problem)

2. All of the clips would be a frame or 3 out of sync. After some googling, it seems that Premiere can't assign framerates properly at XML export.

• @artiswar Not sure I understand. Are you saying when the clips are messed with speed, the XML out of PPro will have issues?

• For warning @tinyrobot In my experience, PPro royaly bones framerate when exporting XML.

• if you're on a PC then DNxHD is your best option.

• @shian even if I have some effects applied to it like Twixtor?

My previous question begs another question. I'm editing on the original MXF files in PPro. 1. Before exporting an XML, I thought of rendering the whole sequence as an DNxHD file. 2. Export an XML for Davinci so it will have all the video transitions. 3. Finish in Davinci with another DNxHD export. Does this sound reasonable?

I was thinking in step #1, I can render the whole sequence in an uncompressed codec instead of DNxHD since I would have to again export another DNxHD format when finishing. I want the highest quality possible as it will be screened at film festivals.

• you can export an XML from AE

• I got a question about DaVinci and uncompressed codecs. I have a few After Effects projects that I use dynamic link with PPro. DaVinci won't be able to understand the dynamic links. So, I guess I have to render them out and drop them as new clips in the sequence and then export an XML from PPro. I know I can render it out as DNxHD, but is there an uncompressed codec anyone can recommend as I will have to finish in DNxHD in Resolve? These clips are very short so I am not worried about storage size.

• If you want to use Sony Vegas Pro in combination with DaVinci Resolve this might help:

This workflow is very effective as you only use the length of the clip and you have the option to trim head and tail automatically.

• I have been experimenting with using a Logitech G13 game controller as a way to speed up interacting with resolve and photoshop and I think it may end up being a big improvement over mouse only. It supports a lot of customization, including a script api. Someone on creative cow had written a resolve script but I have had no luck contacting them. If someone would suggest the most important functions, I will give a try writing one myself and sharing it if it works out.

• Colorista is a great colour plugin, and if the power window/masks could be linked to a tracker, then it would provide most of the features I need, save an effect requiring AE or other compositing app of preference. I agree @Vitaliy, a few more features into the edit suite and would make it a lot easier. CS6 bringing the stabiliser into Premiere has added one more useful feature for editors. A tracker in Premiere would be great, link to power windows you can create using the title tool (ellipse and feather blur) and a Track Matte Key. That said, I just installed Resolve Lite and will give it a go.

• In general I'm wondering why Blackmagic did release DaVinci Resolve Lite for free. They could have made money with it. In my opinion there must be a bigger plan behind that decision . Soon there will be more and more people knowing about DaVinci but of course everybody will see that the decapsulation of editing is not modern.

I think here it is all simple - they have low developer resources. And color grading software sales are dropping. hence they use Lite version to promote their paid solutions and their hardware.

What would you say if they would offer DaVinci ColorEdit for 500$. Including nice handling of camera codex, a swiss knive editor with title etc., time envelopes like twixor, a nice audio integration etc. They are already capable of denoising, de-shaking and of course Power Windows...

If you ask me, it is simpler to make proper color grading plugin with tracker for exiting editors.

• In general I'm wondering why Blackmagic did release DaVinci Resolve Lite for free. They could have made money with it. In my opinion there must be a bigger plan behind that decision . Soon there will be more and more people knowing about DaVinci but of course everybody will see that the decapsulation of editing is not modern.

If I would be a strategic manager at Blackmagic I would have planned not to re-new DaVinci as a nice plugin for an NLE. DaVinci could be better placed to integrate a capable editor and be an NLE.

What would you say if they would offer DaVinci ColorEdit for 500$. Including nice handling of camera codex, a swiss knive editor with title etc., time envelopes like twixor, a nice audio integration etc. They are already capable of denoising, de-shaking and of course Power Windows...

They would stir up at least the prosumer market.

• That looks like Mac only. Still trying to figure out if I should consider a control surface and which one. Also, any idea why my XML import into PP would not bring in the sound I know is in the clips?

• not entirely true. There's this - http://www.tangentdevices.co.uk/products_vwave.asp

BUT every time I try to download the installers... nothing happens. SO if anybody does successfully download them, please mirror the zip along with the manual.

• There is some talk about iPad but none actually exist yet.

• Thanks for the tip re batch rendering - will look at this in the morning.

@Japatz have you investigated ipad control surfaces for resolve? I've used similar for audio mixing where you need to control more than one thing at once. Dunno if it would help with Resolve though

• I don't know where I heard it, maybe a ColorGhear video, that Resolve will change your life, and I am beginning to agree. I am stuck on importing XML back into Premiere. Even though the exported clips have audio, they don't come into Premiere that way. Can anyone help. Also, is it worth getting a control surface and which one? I have tried touchpads, tablets, etc. and mouse is still best. Thanks

• I'm no expert in that regard. Get into ColorGHear Pro (http://www.colorghear.com/). I think Shian covers a topic about it.

• @ Stonebat Would you share your PP-Resolve work flow on Mac. I export Final Cut XML with mts files on PP time line, but found no way to import xml to Resove.

• @shian My MBP has GeForce GT 330M with 256 MB. I know it's dump slow GPU. I hate Apple.

• I wrapped mts files to mp4 using this http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4775/-winrewrap-batch-rewrap-mts-to-mp4mov-./p1 and Resolve didn't crash when I was tracking them.

• 8 GB RAM is OK (for HDTV), but you need the right GPU. Resolve is all about GPU, and with the right one it screams!