Personal View site logo
DaVinci Resolve 9
  • 179 Replies sorted by
  • It is actually a 670 and the problem was the codec. H264 does not seem to use the gpu but dnxhd does. It rendered at over 50fps. Resolve is amazing.

• @Jspatz I see the same phenomenon. If it's a H264 file it renders out at approx 10fps with DNxHD I achieve average 45fps with GTX570/2600k.

Not only rendering. In general DaVinci behaves fast with DNxHD and lazy with H264...

@shian does it make sense to think about a graphic tablet to work with. I know a full control panel would be best but that's an investment...

• I've had a lot of fun with resolve - just exploring. I've tried importing mts's directly by rewrapping them as mov files and while it works, Resolve crashes when trying to track on my win 7 6-core. I notice that if I edit in Vegas 12 and export as mp4 then those clips work fine in Resolve - it never crashes when working like this and the tracking is much quicker. A more sensible workflow too, of course, as you don't want to be grading stuff you might not use! But hey - I'm still playing around at the moment. I love the tracking masks as often the footage I have to work with cannot be gathered with additional lighting and it's quite useful as a way of rescuing that to make it look a bit better.

I find your stuff inspiring, @shian, since you play around with colours the way I do with sound - it's an education for me to start noticing stuff I've never seen before in images. I'm even seeing stuff around the room and adjusting colours in my head! How weird is that?

• @Mark_the_Harp If you play around, maybe its worth to look at batch rendering of regions within Sony Vegas. You can do it with mp4 or DNxHD .mov. Just drop all your .mts files into one timeline and render each seperately by discribed scripts.

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/114196#Comment_114196

• 8 GB RAM is OK (for HDTV), but you need the right GPU. Resolve is all about GPU, and with the right one it screams!

• I wrapped mts files to mp4 using this http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4775/-winrewrap-batch-rewrap-mts-to-mp4mov-./p1 and Resolve didn't crash when I was tracking them.

• @shian My MBP has GeForce GT 330M with 256 MB. I know it's dump slow GPU. I hate Apple.

• @ Stonebat Would you share your PP-Resolve work flow on Mac. I export Final Cut XML with mts files on PP time line, but found no way to import xml to Resove.

• I'm no expert in that regard. Get into ColorGHear Pro (http://www.colorghear.com/). I think Shian covers a topic about it.

• I don't know where I heard it, maybe a ColorGhear video, that Resolve will change your life, and I am beginning to agree. I am stuck on importing XML back into Premiere. Even though the exported clips have audio, they don't come into Premiere that way. Can anyone help. Also, is it worth getting a control surface and which one? I have tried touchpads, tablets, etc. and mouse is still best. Thanks

• Thanks for the tip re batch rendering - will look at this in the morning.

@Japatz have you investigated ipad control surfaces for resolve? I've used similar for audio mixing where you need to control more than one thing at once. Dunno if it would help with Resolve though

• There is some talk about iPad but none actually exist yet.

• not entirely true. There's this - http://www.tangentdevices.co.uk/products_vwave.asp

BUT every time I try to download the installers... nothing happens. SO if anybody does successfully download them, please mirror the zip along with the manual.

• That looks like Mac only. Still trying to figure out if I should consider a control surface and which one. Also, any idea why my XML import into PP would not bring in the sound I know is in the clips?

• In general I'm wondering why Blackmagic did release DaVinci Resolve Lite for free. They could have made money with it. In my opinion there must be a bigger plan behind that decision . Soon there will be more and more people knowing about DaVinci but of course everybody will see that the decapsulation of editing is not modern.

If I would be a strategic manager at Blackmagic I would have planned not to re-new DaVinci as a nice plugin for an NLE. DaVinci could be better placed to integrate a capable editor and be an NLE.

What would you say if they would offer DaVinci ColorEdit for 500$. Including nice handling of camera codex, a swiss knive editor with title etc., time envelopes like twixor, a nice audio integration etc. They are already capable of denoising, de-shaking and of course Power Windows...

They would stir up at least the prosumer market.

• In general I'm wondering why Blackmagic did release DaVinci Resolve Lite for free. They could have made money with it. In my opinion there must be a bigger plan behind that decision . Soon there will be more and more people knowing about DaVinci but of course everybody will see that the decapsulation of editing is not modern.

I think here it is all simple - they have low developer resources. And color grading software sales are dropping. hence they use Lite version to promote their paid solutions and their hardware.

What would you say if they would offer DaVinci ColorEdit for 500$. Including nice handling of camera codex, a swiss knive editor with title etc., time envelopes like twixor, a nice audio integration etc. They are already capable of denoising, de-shaking and of course Power Windows...

If you ask me, it is simpler to make proper color grading plugin with tracker for exiting editors.

• Colorista is a great colour plugin, and if the power window/masks could be linked to a tracker, then it would provide most of the features I need, save an effect requiring AE or other compositing app of preference. I agree @Vitaliy, a few more features into the edit suite and would make it a lot easier. CS6 bringing the stabiliser into Premiere has added one more useful feature for editors. A tracker in Premiere would be great, link to power windows you can create using the title tool (ellipse and feather blur) and a Track Matte Key. That said, I just installed Resolve Lite and will give it a go.

• I have been experimenting with using a Logitech G13 game controller as a way to speed up interacting with resolve and photoshop and I think it may end up being a big improvement over mouse only. It supports a lot of customization, including a script api. Someone on creative cow had written a resolve script but I have had no luck contacting them. If someone would suggest the most important functions, I will give a try writing one myself and sharing it if it works out.

• If you want to use Sony Vegas Pro in combination with DaVinci Resolve this might help:

This workflow is very effective as you only use the length of the clip and you have the option to trim head and tail automatically.

• I got a question about DaVinci and uncompressed codecs. I have a few After Effects projects that I use dynamic link with PPro. DaVinci won't be able to understand the dynamic links. So, I guess I have to render them out and drop them as new clips in the sequence and then export an XML from PPro. I know I can render it out as DNxHD, but is there an uncompressed codec anyone can recommend as I will have to finish in DNxHD in Resolve? These clips are very short so I am not worried about storage size.

• you can export an XML from AE

• @shian even if I have some effects applied to it like Twixtor?

My previous question begs another question. I'm editing on the original MXF files in PPro. 1. Before exporting an XML, I thought of rendering the whole sequence as an DNxHD file. 2. Export an XML for Davinci so it will have all the video transitions. 3. Finish in Davinci with another DNxHD export. Does this sound reasonable?

I was thinking in step #1, I can render the whole sequence in an uncompressed codec instead of DNxHD since I would have to again export another DNxHD format when finishing. I want the highest quality possible as it will be screened at film festivals.

• if you're on a PC then DNxHD is your best option.

• For warning @tinyrobot In my experience, PPro royaly bones framerate when exporting XML.

• @artiswar Not sure I understand. Are you saying when the clips are messed with speed, the XML out of PPro will have issues?