Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
The Big Thing
  • 437 Replies sorted by
  • Okay guys, I finally get it. You're all ganging up and goofing on me, pretending you really believe that Panasonic has hired VK to come work on their cameras. No way you guys could seriously keep making such over the top insane requests in earnest.

I admit it. You guys totally had me going. I really believed the rest of you posters were criminally naive, fatally optimistic, or batshit insane, or all three. Ha! Color me HAD.

• Muahahahaha, i Love the 1 April. it is more realistic that vitali get busted by Panasonic.

• I so hate this, please Vitaliy say this is true. If not, we might as well collectively watch soap operas for the next 3 years.

• @johnnym

He already stated that it isn't a joke. It is up to you whether to believe it or not.

• What I feel from what VK said, is that Panasonic is going to come with a big bang at NAB. So something like 60 fps, log profile and even 10 bit could be on the low end of the upcoming Panasonic camera releases. So these type of spec which seems surprising today could be just average to low in two week. The very very strong rumor of the NEX-FS700 (4k for $ 8000) is another indication that the manufacturers (japanese) are coming with all gun blazing. Who would have thought that Sony would bring 4k at this price point.

It seems that the Japanese manufacturers have decided to wake up and charge along. One thing is that perhaps they feel uncertainty in the market and they are perhaps afraid that someone is going to draw first something radical that would sway the market in their favor, so they don't want to take any chance. The second thing is that the dslr revolution has shown that there was a huge untap market in the large sensor camera look. That it would be better to sell in the hundred of thousand than in the thousand unit. A bit like the photo market.

About Pana and this group is that already you start with a dedicated user group, or better word community. It takes time to build such a group, a bit like reduser for RED. A vocal and dedicated group that are enthusiast and developing content already. I admit that reduser is a bit of an extreme and I hope we will never go as low.

• Does this mean the Easter bunny is true. I gonna get me a new basket for next weekend. Either gonna fill it with eggs or have egg on my face.

• Good job and well done, I look forward to seeing the cameras you work on for Panasonic in an official capacity with your team, I also look forward to seeing your work appear here for the cameras Panasonic don't need/want your help with, Features: One feature I have not seen mentioned is an external sync, this would be fantastic as we could then have a dual camera 3D system. Is this possible over the USB camera to camera or will it have to be a hardware update i.e. GH3???

So you can add this to the dream list.

Enjoy NAB if you are going with Panasonic now, and I look forward to the NAB coverage, it has been an exciting time for cameras this year, and this announcement has just fuelled the fire and will have some other manufactures in a flap.

• @Macalincag That's excellent! If he says he is serious, i know it is serious. Pretty amazing. But then maybe Panasonic can use every extra penny now they reported 10 billion of annual loss.

• @danyyyel You said: The very very strong rumor of the NEX-FS700 (4k for $ 8000) is another indication that the manufacturers (japanese) are coming with all gun blazing. Who would have thought that Sony would bring 4k at this price point.

Well...we already know that the GH-2 can shoot 4k in a 40fps burst mode ...so imagine......

....NAHHH!!! FUGEDABOUDIT!!!

This thread is over the top. lol

• Stay tuned for 9:00 Tokyo time

• Yeah, but for me a flat/log profile and 10 bit would be just fantastic, until we see a gh3.

• Fuck yeah, no "Happy April Fools Day everyone"-comment from Vitaly?

• Making my feature request more clear and complete, or so do I hope.

• Option to have encoder Frame Rate (FR) automatically married to Shutter Speed (SS) when 1/SS < maximum Frame Rate. Ex: if SS is set to 1/5s then FR should be automatically set to 5fps. No point in faster FR and wasted frames.

• Option to have audio recording disabled.

• Focus peaking.

• Option to define focus pull speed.

• Human guided focus pull through hinting the focus direction by gesture. You could touch AF a subject and then drag your finger up/down to tell the camera to focus pull farther/closer until it locks on the touched subject)

• Option to have photo/video recording initiated/stopped as a response to (un)detected motion in footage. Think surveillance, lightning photography, fast action/motion photography.

• Option to have photo/video recording initiated/stopped as a response to (un)detected sound level. Same as before plus self video/photography. And it doesn't require additional hardware to do wireless video/photography. As long as we can speak we could voice activate the shutter.

• Full bracketing flexibility. I'd like to tell the camera to take just 2 pictures 4EVs apart and as close in time as possible.

• This might not be FW related but an Electronic First Shutter Curtain is pretty much needed on a camera system that doesn't have a stabilized very long tele lens. You just try a 400mm lens @ anything under 1/200s and your jaw will drop when you change to the 40fps JPEG mode and it comes out with much better photos than RAW (not shaken) even when you used the timer release on RAW and your finger on 40fps.

I really could come up with a hundred feature requests, but I believe some of these ones could be more or less simple to implement and at the same time be a major boon for workflow.

• ...I guess that Vitaliy know what we want, thanks Vitaliy!

• Please, watch carefully specially made video above before QA.

Thanks in advance.

• @duartix, You forgot to suggest a price point. PS. I agree with all your feature request and i have some of my own starting with :

• a " clean and true 1080P HDMI out from the imager before any compression ". Please !
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev Video is private. (edit) Forget about it, it's no problem. I can see it embedded here...

• Video is working for me. Amazing.

• Congratulations VK and your team. Personally, I think this is good news for all the community, except for those outside the "inner circle" of advanced developers, who no longer will be able to tinker with S/W "updates" that get issued/. However, I suspect the GH2 S/W will remain open, as it is now, for anyone to play with.

The "Big Thing" will probably be aimed at the GH2 successor (GH3) and other selected models, where VK and the inner circle will take inputs from the whole Personal-View community and work their magic on Panasonic's S/W. Any new S/W releases will encompass the more desired community requests, but not be open for further tweaking once released by Panasonic.

Panasonic gains and so does the video dslr community at large. (compare to the releases of FCPX and the new 5DMkIII - with less or no community input). Hopefully the price of new hardware (or S/W releases?) will keep the Panasonic cameras highly competitive with the competition.

In terms of the P-V "outer circle" - general members...just keep an eye on the barometer of financial support for VK's efforts. I hope he's still able to accept our support towards these BT projects. There's a better chance that things won't change too much, I think.

I could be out to lunch, but time will tell.

Now to find out what time it is in Tokyo...

• Looking forward now!

• Cencored by Panasonic Corporation due to NDA

• It works for Safari, not Firefox, for me at least.