Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
The Big Thing
  • 437 Replies sorted by
  • VK and others have given the GH series of cameras the long tail desired by technology companies. The fact that this long tail is populated by early adapters is an exceptional achievement as they are usually the first to move onto pastures new. I can see VK EITHER prolonging the tail OR working on new things BUT NOT BOTH.

• I've checked with Panasonic HQ in Osaka. Ichiro Kitao is their janitor, Michiharu Uematsu, their delivery man and Yukio Ito sells sushi at a corner shop near Panasonic HQ.

• Congratulations VK I would never have bought GH2 if it was not for your work. the whole thing sounds great but smells fishy. we all wait and see. sick of monopoly and duality but love to shoot hey

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev One thing you should ask them is to get a batch for lets say the next gh3 or other camera you will work upon for Personal-view users. From past experience from the gh1 and gh2 launch to wait more than 9 month to get hold of one is very frustrating. I am not saying that we have a birth right in any way, but I think this community can show and promote such a camera much better than some consumer filming his cat and putting in on you-tube with the worst compression.

• Not buying it. Not for an instant. Put me on the april 1 side. - it's too coincidental in the timing - pan would never be that smart - v. with his blunt wit and directness would never survive any corporate politics.

• whats about fair traiding, hunger, capitalism, etc...?????

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev 1- that is good news, and big news 2- partnership... good and OK. I think Panasonic wants their cameras to be hacked. For many reasons they DO want to be able to sell cameras without 30min limitations or with clean hdmi output, or even raw video, but they cannot. These things are "taxed" in many ways, so they would not able to sell these features in consumer products. They could have seen, after initial upsetting, that since someone saw the inside of their box, they could turn the thing to their favour. I thinlk this can be turned to our benefit, if they want Vitaliy not to be hired from other companies AND to be able to work "for" them in the way thei are no mpre responsable for their products, they must have a good compromise deal. Easier to ride the wave than go against! 2- Maybe they will agree for a "partially user customizable" firmware tha let us do the same things CHDK does!??

Cheers, and a big hug to Vitaliy!!!

• :P

pigs-might-fly.jpg
    400 x 291 - 5K
  • Big congrats dude.

I don't need any ultimate h264 camera. I need a workflow compatible camera that I can run at a profit. I need workflow to make a profit. If we can just get a quality HD-SDI output for monitoring and recording in workflow compatible codecs, there are now plenty of compatible displays and recorders that make quality workflow seamless today. - I don't need 4k first. - I don't need 120fps first. I need to be able to shoot/edit/color/deliver/bill a project... all before lunch! And then shoot another project that afternoon. Not dick around with overnight h-264 re-compressions and conversions from consumer storage cards...

I hope they also equally recognize the trend toward compatibility with direct DNxHD recording to editing optimized disk media storage. (SSD or disk) Cameras are just one part of an infrastructure of media production. Little incompatible islands are sooooo 2009. I hope you can help them keep their eye on, and truly prioritize the real world business challenges we face everyday, i.e. keeping our clients happy and confident, both on set and after.

Za Vas!

• April fools jokes dont tend to be announced a few days before hand, and it would only piss off every1 on this site. But it is a bit dodgy that it was announced April1st and that the 'proof' is the Q&A on monday (when April fools is officially over)...but either way my glass is still half-full ;)

• Happy 1st April. I see that the announcement was made at 31st March on my computer. But where the hack stays Vitaly.....

• WIKI: In Japan the government's financial year runs from April 1 to March 31. The fiscal year is represented by the calendar year in which the period begins followed by the word nendo (年度); for example the fiscal year from April 1, 2010 to March 31, 2011 is called 2010-nendo. Japan's income tax year runs from January 1 to December 31, but corporate tax is charged according to the corporation's own one-year period.

If real- super super! All becomes real tomorrow!

• April fools?

• Congrats, VK and team. Now we wait for BT 1.1 for the stuff we can use in the field.

• @TheNewDeal Not being confrontational but I think you are mistaking camera and use. In fact I feel most here want the best picture quality first and foremost even if it entrails some workaround in the workflow. DSLR will never be the good tool if you want to shoot and edit very fast because they are not meant to be... video camera primarily. You will always have to find workaround for form factor and functionality because it is also a camera to take photos. For doing fast videography better think about a proper video camera with things like ND and SDI even power zoom, etc. I dough that you will find those things in a photo camera even a hybrid one like the gh line anytime soon.

• Congratulation VK, i'm very happy for you. This patnership mean that for the first time a real hacker and users community can talk directly with tool's creators. VK in Panasonic patnership mean that he can talk about real needings of users, and people that develop can work on real features requested not from video nerds but from people that really what to work with their poor but good tools to produce movie. great News.

• Funny how people fall for April fools....

• Announcement should be valid for 47h 59min 59sec....

• Wow is the only word that comes to me!

Can't wait for NAB... sounds too good to be true, kudos to Panasonic and congrats to V if true!

• Sorry, guys... But i don't understand... what is the announcement? What could we wait?

Thank you ,-)

• Vitaliy, can you post a copy of the NDA you signed?
    Or is there an NDA of the NDA?

...from a recent(Feb 2012) Ichiro Kitao Interview:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/panasonic_plans_highend_csc_to_fend_off_canon_threat_news_311439.html

" Panasonic is not interested in expanding its range of camera products at the moment, but wants to concentrate on improving quality within the areas it operates. 'We want to become known as a high-quality camera brand, and this will be our concentration this year. We will aim for a high-end camera to demonstrate that mirrorless cameras can be alternatives to DSLR cameras, not just a step-up from compact cameras. "

Other thoughts:

After a $10 Billion loss last year (asian floods and japanese earthquake,) one would think Panasonic would be more forward looking and push for new products to drive profits.

Perhaps the supply chain has not recovered sufficiently. Maximizing the current stable of products for another cycle may help with the recovery.

In any event, Ichiro Kitao seems young and contemporary(at least as far as jp management is concerned) and may be able to bring a welcome openness to the Panasonic brand.

• Sorry for not answering some questions. I am busy with personal things.

I'll return with Yukio Ito monday morning and we try to answer all that had been left.
    Also hope that people from sensor team and camera design team will be checking topic from time to time, while they are not allowed to participate by managment, they could collect all suggestions.

So, please, be patient.

• I went to check the PTool's site https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/ptool-software It's UP

I went to check the PTool's download that allows users to modify the firmware of a number of Panasonic cameras hhttps://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/ptool-software

It's available

I read that the creator of such a tool and owner of that site was hired by Panasonic. If this were true in the real world, do you know what would happen right away to the download link and site itself?