Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 2: Sedna A, B, C
  • 1030 Replies sorted by
  • Orion v4b also worked well last week in 24H with 25/1.4 and 14-140. Same Sandisk 32gb 30MB/sec card. Bit rates of 140-145Mbps. Very happy with the shadow rendering. Standard profile 0,0,0,0.

vlcsnap-2012-03-18-19h15m29s116.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    vlcsnap-2012-03-18-19h17m27s31.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @Kihlian When You did Your upgrade to "GOP3Sedna", did You consider leaving the other settings untouched and just modifying the 25p HBR related ones?

• Tested Sedna B Q20 today on 24H mode with 14-140 lens. No problems at all with Sandisk 32gb 30MB/sec card. Forgot my ND filters and had to stop down to f/22 at ISO 160... so diffraction is probably softening this up a bit. Details still look good to me, though, and I was getting nice high bitrates (avg 115mbps and 146mbps respectively for the two clips shown here). Standard profile 0,0,0,0.

vlcsnap-2012-03-18-18h38m21s66.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    vlcsnap-2012-03-18-18h40m12s239.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • @sohus: I´ve already mentioned earlier in this thread, that I´m using a Sandisk 64GB 95mb/s card. I´ve done a small test just this minute, to compare 24p and 25p. OMG! The difference is huge! 25p looks unpleasant by comparison. I´m using Sedna A AQ1.

• @sir_danish Which patch? Sedna seems to have more problems then Orion/Dark Matter before it. I think it is taxing the GH2 pretty heavily. It also matters if you use the A, B or C version of the matrix.

I also see that you guys never say which card you are using.

If you are using Transcend class 10 cards, you can prevent this by slightly lowering the frame limits and buffers. I do this with 720p normally to ensure that it works on my fast and slower cards.

Orion is a pretty safe patch so I would stick with that one if you are new to this whole hacking thing.

• @sohus: So maybe the latest freezes during my shootings were related to the fact, that the patch is actually customized for 24p, not for 25p and thus not 100% stable in HBR mode?

• @sohus, thank you for the answer. I will probable only use 24p for my future projects then. (and 720p50 for slo mo)

• @conscius 25p doesn't come close to 24p. That's a fact. This is because it is connected to the 50i/60i settings and therefore cannot be pushed as hard as 24p.

• http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg402/scaled.php?server=402&filename=24p.png&res=medium http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg109/scaled.php?server=109&filename=25p.png&res=medium

first one is 24p

Bitrate in 24p is higher, the sharpness is so much higher. Maybe i do something wrong with the 25p version (50i to 25p, maybe there is something.. i dont know) This is with the Sedna Gop3zilla settings

• i only tested it in 24P. And i didn't do enough test to be 100% sure. But for now, i going with the Gop3zilla version.

I stil don't know the best way for 25p. On this moment i do it like this: footage in 1080. (so 50i) Then i import this in fcp as proress, my settings in 1080p25 and field on none. And that't it. I don't use any external programs to embedded the 25p out of the 50i. I hope this is the good way?

• @Kihlian @conscius So I am unclear, are you guys saying that the Gop3zilla with sedna matrix actually looks better than pure sedna in all frame rates or just at 25p?

• @kihlian, thank you. It is because of you that i tested it :D. And i'm very happy with the settings! @JeffGibbsTC @onionbrain Nice video!

• @conscius Nice footage.

• Here is my Sedna patch test today, AQ1, no grading, just the beach and trees and a few people in a bit of random order. I am stunned by the clarity and colors--just found some banding, and issues with slow pans across trees with bare branches. If I had this patch with no sky banding I would be very happy.

• @onionbrain very nice footage. Enjoying Sedna, hopefully posting something soon. Looks great.

• Sedna A Q20 test footage from earlier today. The main significance here is that I threw all the major color correction (and/or "grading") settings at it in Premiere Pro, including the current Magic Bullet Looks, and it handled it all well.

• @johnnym, thanks! I've still got the GH1, I'd rather keep it around for B-cam or what have you than sell it for a few hundred bucks (if that!) considering I paid more than full retail to get one when they were still hard to find. But I have a hard time selling cameras in general, sentimental value and all that. I still have my DVX100!

• @Oedipax superb photography there. (Hey did you end up selling your GH1 or did you keep it for the pretty images you made with it?)

• @uzland Holy moly, that looks like one crazy ass wedding.

Very interested to see how Sedna matrix works with Gop3zilla settings. Would love some clarification on which Gop3zilla setting is recommended and whether quantizers should be on/off. Right now Sedna, in all its forms, is unstable for me at 25p. Unstable in that I cannot acheive recording times longer than 12 minutes. Using the best bits of Gop3zilla with a Sedna matrix sounds like perfect sense right now.

• @feha Looking good on iso2500! Very interesting because of the low bitrate (ok, 38 is not that low, but in comparison with others hacks, it is!)

• Here is image taken of video used with Cluster v1 a @driftwood settings. Very Low light HBR 25p (pal) Film mode :Vibrant , ISO2500 . Lens: Canon FD 50mm f/1.2 (wide open) I suggest the Cluster setting for all of you who want a very stable footage at the average 38 mbps ...

Note: If my TV is ON (in the same room as shooting this) there is a low iso banding but TV OFF there is no banding, shutter 1/50 does not help, this have nothing to do with "Cluster" settings ...

cluster.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 252K
  • High ISO (6400) test Quantum X sedna A1Q with Gop3zilla settings Without color correction Without denoise filter

• @thepalalias. A sentient GH2, now that's what I call a hack!

• This is from last week's wedding

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions