Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 2: Sedna A, B, C
  • 1030 Replies sorted by
  • @jhero Is my cheap monitor or the last shot is exhibiting some banding in the face? -Love the lighting-

• @jhero that last shot is really nice!

• @Moviedet IMHO, that's "Dark Matter".

• Hello, please what is the best hack for lowlight-situations? THX for answers Det.

• @kavadni Not really. You have FB2/Frame Buffer 2 and FL/Frame Limit. Standard @driftwood uses 751.000 as FB2 and if you multiply that by 8 you get 6008000 as a frame limit. I use 730000 now as FB2 and 5840000 as FL. But you have to experiment with that. This is because of the throughput of each setting, they differ. You also have to take into account that EX TELE and 80% mode can change throughput. If you want to be really safe settle for 5080000 as FL and 640000 as FB2.

FB2 * 8 = FL

FL / 8 = FB2

• Hello, please what is the best hack for lowlight-situations? THX for answers Det.

• Tried Sedna b (Q20) with HBR (p25) and 720p50. Lumix 25/14. ISO 800/1600. Smooth 4 x -2.

Makes quite small files (40/60Mbps) in HBR and around 50/60Mbps in p50. No problems with the cards (SanDisk 32Gb/30MB). Have a look by your self to some 720p pictures;

Time to try Orion. So far I love Rocket.

• @sohus "If you are using Transcend class 10 cards, you can prevent this by slightly lowering the frame limits and buffers. I do this with 720p normally to ensure that it works on my fast and slower cards."

Is there a recommended percentage to reduce by

• Shot a music video yesterday using one GH2 with Sedna for 30p and another GH2 with Orion4b for 60p

Here's a shot of Sedna AQ1 B HBR Prores transcoded (1st one), the second shot I believe was Orion but I may be wrong :(

I did have write issues with 60p on Sedna (Sandisk extreme 16gb)… but overall both cameras were sturdy on their strengths (Sedna for 30p, Orion for 60p). I bumped the ISO up to 3200 and noise wasn't really an issue. I forget now exactly which ISO settings the grabs were at but it was def. either 1600/3200

Both of these shots were on the voigt 25mm 0.95, OH, and we used std -2 -1 -2 -2 for both

Edit: Last shot was Cinema/Sedna/50mm FD/HBR

Screen shot 2012-03-18 at 11.54.09 AM.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Screen shot 2012-03-18 at 10.22.31 AM.png
    734 x 414 - 494K
    Screen shot 2012-03-18 at 12.07.26 PM.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • @sohus I think that indeed Nick Driftwood will solve small problems that still exist. So it will be an incredible patch after Orion.

• @Braamokiev Sedna needs serious testing. It has more problems than earlier Driftwood settings. It does look amazing but if you have all kind of oddities and small glitches, it isn't ready for production yet. I am sure Nick will refine it after which it will be the best patch. But some patches are almost perfect, like you mentioned, SeAQuake and Orion. I will stick with the latter for now, so Nick can further work out Sedna or a new patch. With his development speed, I will become a test dummy and I want to shoot some real world footage the coming months. Orion 4b has a very filmic look and so far works flawlessly on all my cards, which is a big achievement. I only trimmed 720p60.

One thing I thought of: looking at PTool, I think you can have separate matrixes for 720p, 1080i/HBR and 1080p/24H which can come in handy. Looking forward to Allan Tepper's PsF work. I think the best strategy for me would be to tailor HBR for good quality long duration work while keeping H maxed out for maximum quality.

I am also curious to find out what problems you guys find with the 24L setting? On my test charts it has good cadence but that's probably because it is maxed out all the time. I will try it outdoors next time to see how it is behaving in real life situations. I have been sick for the last 5 days so not much real world shooting.

• Hi everybody. Nick Driftwood says: "Allan Tepper (PsF expert) has been asked to resolve the best use of HBR on the GH2. More news soon."

Great new for PAL user Nick. Orion(b) improved for HBR mode, my dream!!!

• Here is a short clip I made from a last week's wedding in Pittsburgh. Driftwood Orion patch was used along with Nikon and Tamron lenses. A Magic Bullet Looks effect was applied.

• the sedna q20 B in hbr mode gave some weird bugs in the bottom part of the image, something i only got with sedna q20C when in etc mode just before crashing.

• :D yes indeed, he is a busy man :D I have now orion V4b on my gh2. I think it is a little darker than sedna.

• @rsquires @conscius: Hard to say which I like better, as I haven't done any scientific side-by-side comparison tests with the same material. The prolific Mr. Driftwood just keeps bringing these things out faster than I can get around to testing them. I honestly doubt the man sleeps.

• 3 best patchs (Seaquake, Orion, Sedna)

The best patch of all time is; SEDNA A AQ1 b y Nick Driftwood. (for me)

• @conscius Its 4b for me, YMMV.

• @stray, you tried orion v4b, c and d? which one do you prefer?

• @conscius I've shot a lot with Orion in the last couple of weeks and I prefer it. Admittedly I've not used Sedna much, just a few shots with A,B and C (the Q20 versions). Also as i've been working a lot with Orion I've become used to/attached to the way it looks. Probably if I use Sedna more then I'll change my mind. @driftwood Quick question, when you release the settings with the new deblocking matrix how tied in to the scaling matrix are they ? What I mean is, could we use the deblocking matrices on earlier scaling matrices from previous settings, how crucial is the balance between them ?

@Rafa I've shot many hours worth of 24p Orion on a 30mb card, many different types of shots, (detail/motion) and haven't had a single write error, nor any oddities.

• @KeithLommel i like it. Maybe i'm going to try orion to. Saw a lot video's with orion, really looking good. It is different than sedna. Sedna looks cleaner. But orion is more my thing i think. Gonne test it.

• @7pc not , because my first interest is 25p @punc thanks for comparison, a lot of work to do on 25p...

• @KeithLommel Great pictures man. I guess you used Sandisk 64Gb/95MB cards. did you? Edit: Sorry. I'm reading you used 32Gb/30MB.

• @KeithLommel It is hard to believe that your shots are video. Fantastic. The latitude seems incredible. Out of Sedna and Orion which do you like the best? I have to say I have Sedna AQ1 setting C and it is very nice indeed. Not done any serious stuff with it but the few shots I have done have been incredibly promising.

• Gop3zilla Sedna matrix. comparing 25P &24P

24.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 434K
    25.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 389K
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions