Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Personal View Feature Film Collaborative project
  • 536 Replies sorted by
  • @B3Guy

>Keep pushing through, and please if you're at all on the fence, just get your hands dirty and cram out some script ideas. If we get the right kind of script together, everyone will be so excited about it that I highly suspect it will practically shoot itself.

Amen brother!

• Okay, Iv'e read through most of this thread, so I apologize in advance if anything I am about to say has been said.

As for story, I agree with B3guy about the person in an insane asylum. Think "Identity". If you haven't seen the movie you might not want to read further. Spoiler alert! You have one central character who has split personalities. Each character in the the different videos is a personality of the main character. We can have each group's film represent a different portion of his life, from childhood through adulthood.

I also agree that we should have a deadline, and I believe Christmas would be a good dead line for a finished script. I think we should allow users to collaborate into groups and create their own script. have set number of groups, then at the end, we have everyone who is involved vote on which script we would like to pursue. Each script should have at least 15-20 different parts so that we can have 15-20 different groups work together to create the final film. Based on how many there are, that will determine the time limit for each section.

If there are any other personal-view members in Orange County, Ca, I would be more than happy to meet up and work together. For that matter, I would be happy to work with anyone in So Cal, though the closer the better :p. So anyone in the area feel free to PM me, would be great to get to know other personal-view members in the area.

If there is anything else I can help with, I am willing to try my best. I should be free starting the new year, and since the script deadline is Christmas, should be no problem.

Lets keep this up everyone.

EDIT:
    Assets
    *Footage
    *Crew, can get a couple other members
    *Live in Orange county, Ca USA.
    -Beach and City environment
    -Can work with anyone in So Cal
    -Visit Las Vegas often, so can film in the desert or the strip
  • This has turned...ambitious. ;)

Suggestion: in the interim between the collaboration being discussed in this thread, how about we collectively do another hack showcase, but scaled way down like the first one?

One idea is we all could use an object to link the different clips together, something as simple as a red balloon for example. 5 second clips each. Thoughts?
  • @sanzadez glad you are participating, please post up your story idea to http://www.personal-view.com/our_movies/movie_01:01general:05_storylines

We have a general discussion page on the wiki, and most everything involving this project is happening there. Please go on there and scope it out a bit more. I've made a request for opinions on script development process, but the wiki has been fairly quiet lately.

If we don't get a decent consensus by this weekend on how we should develop a script I'm going to just lay out a plan, and we can decide on deadline dates. I say this because we need to get going to the next step (whatever that may be) before too long.

Concerning a "final script date", that's getting ahead of everything. We don't know who (one person or multiple even) is going to write the script, and we sure as heck don't want to short ourselves on time. One split I've been noticing in the script concepts is that some involve narrative and plot, whereas others are just ideas for a "unifying concept". We're going to hit a point where we go one direction or the other. This may be a can of worms I'm opening, but I think we should start discussing this now, so everyone has time to think about it. A narrative plot-driven script is clearly going to require more time than we have between now and the ned of December, whereas a simple unifying theme could almost do without all the complex stages of brainstorming and just go to a simple vote.

I'm not super comfortable posting all this here, but the wiki seems to have gone awful quiet.
  • Please, by all means, discuss this on the wiki's general discussion page. I'm just trying to rope a few more in from here ;)
  • Maybe take a vote on the script: all scriptors to submit a 1 page treatment for the story by next week? Of course its easier to communicate the basic elements here and attracting other or new interest. Your much more out on the streets here pitching interest; the wiki is the register of personnel and very much the HQ/resource centre. :-)
  • I haven't commented on the wiki in the past couple days but I have been busy writing to and talking to writers hoping to engage them in this challenge. I assume others are doing the same. I think once more writers connect the loglines and potential stories will come rolling in. To have a completed script by the end of December isn't very realistic... December is not the most productive month to get anything done.
  • Unless someone has a script done already, there's no way that we'd get a quality script by the end of December (at least not with the writer having anything resembling a good holiday season).

The previously suggested timetable was to start voting on December 20th. My own writing is on pace for that, and there's no way I could get a decent treatment in a week from now.

Anyway, I don't mean to slow everyone down, so if somebody has something well-developed already, I'd be happy to vote for it instead of my own. I just want to make sure we get something classy. :)
  • Nah, I'm not rushing the process . . . I'm pushing for us to firm up an OFFICIAL PROCESS. There's a poll on it, if you haven't noticed. I'll close the poll this weekend, publish the results for y'all, and hopefully it will give some semblance of a consensus for an official process. Then I'll work up an official process based on the results, and we can poll on that, or even just do an "aye" and "nay". then we'll poll on dates for the various elements within that official process.

Its really not that big of a deal. The poll thing is just an experiment. it may or may not be a good way for us to come to consensus, but I figured it was worth a try. If it doesn't seem to be a good fit, I may just take the initiative and lay out some official roadmaps if there are no serious objections.
  • Yes, let's all take advantage of the poll. Thanks for setting that up @B3Guy - I know how much time stuff like that takes.
  • @B3Guy the process of the script absolutely depends of the story choosen, if you read every stoyline you will notice that every storyline defines in a general way what process path will be taken to write it down, you cannot follow the same process to "pattient zero", or to the documentary idea, or to my "We" idea, so to me it looks that we should be placing 2 weeks to define that process on the gantt chartt (is at the deadlines 6 goals page) before the first poll to choose the storyline takes place,
  • Here's my idea for the 'connector' and one that I used in my 'Last Teardrop' film recently. Each section starts with a closeup of a mouth or eyes, someone is retelling the same story in there own way - but in a chinese whisper kinda way...The mouth/eyes fades into the new version of the story.
  • I think a good process should work for any one of those ideas, but absolutely the deadlines fore each would look very different. I believe that regardless, we mustn't just pick something and go. we should take at least a couple different stages to hear out other people's variations on a script concept. but that's just me, maybe others are ready to just run with something.
  • Ok, restock time. SurveyMonkey is absolute crap. after seeing what it is giving me with several responses, it is clear that I'm not quite using it correctly. I think that with a basic account it really will only be handy for more basic y/n or multi choice questions.

I'm thinking maybe we should just keep things a tad more informal, maybe "aye" and "nay" on the wiki or in the polls. Survey Monkey doesn't seem cut out to really give good graphed results, unless I'm somehow using it wrong.

EDIT: sorry gang, I've looked again and realized that I used the wrong question type. Many thanks to those who took the poll, it helped me see what I messed up. I'll scrap that one and make essentially the same thing, but using CORRECT question type. (I was using a simple 2-axis and putting in my own numbers. I should've used their numbered one, which gives each number a n actual weight. MUCH better.)

@driftwood glad you've got an idea, throw it up on the wiki page!
  • @B3Guy

I just suggest to check existing plugins for DocuWiki on local computer, tell me one that work and good for you and I'll install it.
  • @driftwood
    I like your idea, simple and open.
  • I'll check, @Vitaliy_Kiselev

In the mean time, there's a NEW survey! This one should work much better, Please bear with me here and give it a try. Go to the poll bags of the wiki for more details.
  • OK, guys. no disrespect, but I gotta open a worm can here. Some of these scripts are not scripts, just saying. I was hoping we could do something that avoided being what I see as the "ever-growing mush pile" of plot-lacking "short films" on vimeo, etc. As good of eye candy as some of these are, there are so many, names like "love" or "a day in the woods" that ultimately don't have much lasting value, IMO. It is EASY for almost anyone to think up a quick little "theme" to tack on their test footage or the stuff they shot on vacation. I'd rather not call something a "film" when it is really just a compilation of plotless vignettes, all having the same "theme". I feel like I could go on vimeo, plug something into the search box, grab the first ten relevant results, edit them together and have a "film" by those standards. I in no way am trying to control the direction of this project, I just want to get my sentiments out there for you guys to think over. If the majority want to do a compilation vignette film, so be it, that's fine. But I probably won't be as excited or invest nearly as much time or effort as I have been.
  • @B3Guy

I think it makes sense to distinguish between scripts (which are as such - some already developed to a decent extent) and concepts for unifying factors f.i. Or even concepts for scripts (ideas for scripts, yet to be developed).

If we start by polling about concepts and concepts for scripts then the more elaborate scripts (or even more elaborate ideas) can move on to the next round, when we start to distinguish between actual scripts and ideas for alternate storylines within the same scripts.

As of now, I think there can be some confusion in regards to the intent with the actual concepts and if concepts entail no script or scripts to come (be developed from them).
  • Yes. Perhaps it is critical that I point out here that there is a separate section on the storyline page for general concepts as opposed to full scripts. We can certainly poll on those as well and do our darndest incorporate them into the script.

Thanks for pointing that out. Those with stuff in the "storyline" section of the page should maybe consider wether some of their ideas can be included also (or moved) to the "free concepts" section. This will save confusion of intentions later on.
  • Just made the poll. I'm working hard in these days but tomorrow or friday i think i'll be able to propose something. Good job guys!
  • @b3Guy I mean, a lot can happen with ideas if they are worked upon, but they will remain as such if there is no feedback, no development of them. I don't think they necessarily have to be incorporated into each and every script but it would make sense to see if there is something people find interesting.. I think a poll could be food for thought in that way.

A lot of good work has been done already, but it's hard to get a grasp of anticipation and excitement about particular suggestions other than the most vocal and obvious stuff. :)
    Maybe a comment field would be good as well, when it comes to a concept poll - it would give the opportunity to voice ideas for how the implementation of the concept is envisioned for instance.
  • Perhaps we should rephrase those two sections as "Main Concepts" (those ideas that dictate an approach towards the whole)

and "Elements" (those ideas for incorporation into the main concept)

For example, @lolo's idea (via askel) to all shoot our own version of the same script seems to dictate an approach towards the whole, and would be a main concept. Alternatively, the idea to choose a unifying word could easily be an "element". (but having "no script" and using a unifying word is definitely dictating an approach towards the whole again.)

I'm not discrediting any specific ideas, just showing how some really are "Main Concepts" because they're not going to work along with any other idea or story. Others could fit in with anything, and these are more "elements".

Does this make sense?

EDIT: @Elenion great minds think alike! (so do crazy ones)
  • @B3Guy
    Yes, you are absolutely right.. good call. If the suggestion is unclear wether it's a main concept or an element then I guess it could be a choice in both sections.
  • Yup. Exactly. This changes the game a bit, but I think what I will do with the survey results is we will do two separate things: somehow choose or rate the ELEMENTS, and somehow choose or rate MAIN CONCEPTS, (aka "scripts as a whole" on the poll)

EDIT: the results of the current poll can still easily be used to determine the process for doing each of these., so I'll leave it up.