Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Personal View Feature Film Collaborative project
  • 536 Replies sorted by
  • IMOPRTANT: THE LATEST POLL IS APPROVED AS OFFICIAL BY VOTE. I WILL CLOSE IT TOMORROW. it is looking like we will be Rating (scale of 1-10) the script "elements", and approving (for use in the next stage) the top ranked 40-50%. We NEED someone to duplicate the "story lines and concepts" page, with the content reorganized in categories of "elements" and "main concepts". Seriously, can someone step up and tackle this?

@Elenion, in the future ALL voting will be nominal. I simply did not want to start this stage of polling all over a third time just to include that. If you wish to look at the results, there are instructions on how to do so on the Poll page of the wiki. @thepalalias in a public polling situation, I would certainly use y/n questions, under your same logic. But this is a small group of people who I'd hope are more concerned with detailed feedback than how fast they can get thru the poll. If you were looking at the first poll, that was a bad first attempt. The way things are, the majority want to use a 1-10 rating system, so that's what we will go with.

To be democratic, I think I will whip up another poll concerning what to do with the main script concepts. It may be that we will not deal with them until the next stage, but there may be ways to handle them in some capacity at this time as well. Any suggestions for me to put on a pole on this subject?
  • @b3guy
    I would too the 1-10 ranking!
    In my opinion, obtained the main scripts, there must be a screenwriting team that mix the elements in various ways, that have to be subjected to a new poll.
  • yes, there will be a poll on how to handle each stage. this last one is just a poll for getting us to the next stage. We need need ideas for

a) what to do (if anything) in this round about main concepts
    b) what to do in stage 2
    c) how to poll and move to stage three
  • @B3Guy
    >We NEED someone to duplicate the "story lines and concepts" page, with the content reorganized in categories of "elements" and "main concepts". Seriously, can someone step up and tackle this?

I can take care of this if you give me some days. I would strip the storylines in elements and main concepts as you said and then PM the authors to see if they have suggestions, complaints, etc. When I have the OK of every author I'll post it in the new wiki page. When do you think I will have to have this ready?
  • @atticusd A couple days would be fine, I think. If you do it live on a new wiki page, several people could chip in and work on it, and the authors would also be able to make changes on their own of need be. Many hands make light work, but someone needs to take the wheel. Thanks for stepping up.
  • Ok guys, I'm working in the "Elements and Main Concepts" page. I'll have it ready for tomorrow's evening (GMT) or Tuesday's afternoon tops. The authors will be able to change whatever they like and all of you can collaborate in any way you see fit.
  • @atticusd thanks for working on this. Has anyone looked into polling plugins for direct wiki use?
  • I installed this one, appears to be working fine:
    http://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:multipoll
  • Awesome. Thank you @Vitaliy_Kiselev

IF someone else could learn how this plugin works, that would be fabulous. I have no time this week.
  • Installed plugin to embed video from all major hosting services (vimeo, youtube, etc).
    http://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:vshare
  • The "Elements and Main Concepts" page is almost ready. I'll have it online tomorrow. Thanks for the patience.
  • The "Elements and Main Concepts" page is now live here: http://www.personal-view.com/our_movies/movie_01:01general:08_elements_and_main_concepts
    Everyone involve in the project should take a look to see if they want to add/suggest anything.

Special message to the authors ( @thepalalias, @andres, @lolo, @RRRR, @Imaginate, @L1N3ARX, @B3Guy, @Reckless, @Elenion, @RRRR, @Aksel): I've tried to remain as faithful to the original source as possible (a mere copy & paste in some cases) but nonetheless please check if everything is accurate and true to what you wanted to say in the first place.
  • Great start, @atticusd! I think you've got the right idea, but take it farther. simplify the "elements" even more. make them short and generic, very adaptable. Some of the ones you lay out contain multiple elements, and could possibly be separated, but for the most part, spot on! Just go thru and try and remove any heavy suggestions for "plot" from the elements. Here is an example of how I would brake down my own idea:

Elements:

1. Multiple characters connected by having the same name
    2. Main character has flashbacks in which they are “other people”
    3. Painful medical experiments
    4. Main character hunted by secret task forces
    5. Sympathetic scientist character
    6. Traveling consciousness character
    7. A trusted friend becomes enemy
    8. Given an new identity in the end
    9. Set free in the end

These should be generic snippets only, reformed and easy to implement with any plot or story. They must contain no specific plot or story stipulations. See how I have pulled “elements” out of my script, and successfully separated them from specific plot concepts? They must be very nearly, if not completely universal. This will make it easier to fit together the elements that we all like the most, once we get to the next stage.

Main concepts:

1. Peter Smith learns that he has been jumping from body to body, and that he is being hunted, etc. (Lay out the plot.)
    2. (Main Concepts are story LINES, plots, overarching guidelines that are not universally compatible with other story lines or plots. For example, meshing mine with the “occupy Wallstreet” one would be very difficult if not impossible. We will not I think deal with these until AFTER we have surveyed on the “elements”.)
  • thanks @aticcusd for your effort :)
  • yeah, again . . . thanks. I've been tempted several times today while in the depths of writing my exegesis paper to take a brake and check in here, but I pushed thru for a good 7 hours. Like i've said, no real time in the world for me for another week here. But then I'm on Christmas break, and I'll push us thru this and likely the next round (then its off to LA in January . . . so excited!)
  • @atticusd
    Thanks for the effort! I think you misunderstood a little my concept but it's ok i corrected it!

@B3guy
    Ok then i think that atticusd inverted elements and main concepts, mmm
  • @atticusd Everything you did with my section seemed to be on track. Thanks.
  • does my explanation of making the elements extremely "generic" make sense?
  • Good work guys! I'll try to get up to speed tonight!
  • @all
    Sorry for the terrible delay. Being unemployed since last Friday and even though one would think I would have more free time than before it's been the other way around till today.

@B3Guy @thepalalias @Elenion
    You're welcome guys. THANK YOU for the kind words.

@B3Guy
    Your explanation makes all the sense in the world. That way it would be far easier for a writer to pick up those elements and make them his own. Only problem I see it’s that by making them extremely generic the original voice of every author goes literally to hell. So I don’t feel comfortable doing that without the express permission of the authors. On the other hand I always thought that the elements are the individual parts of the story (1. Johnny goes out and gets hit by a bus; 2. Johnny is taken to the hospital where he falls in love with a nurse, etc) while the main concepts would be the more generic stuff like theme, tone, etc. I could be wrong though. In any case, it’s just a matter of semantics. No biggie.
    Above all I don’t want to be the picky asshole here. It was your idea after all so if you want me to change all that I can have it ready in a few days. I just want to see this movie made so badly. I’m willing to do everything in my power to accomplish that, including writing the whole thing myself.

Cheers!
  • stuff like "johnny gets hit by a bus" is not really an element, though. that type of thing won't fit with just any story, that's the issue. I think it is better at this point to get to the underlying concepts of stuff like "johnny hit by a bus" and make it something like "an unexpected accident". This could be many things, rather than just getting hit by a bus . . . but it still completely includes getting hit by a bus as one possible concrete option under the larger general concept. (maybe its just semantic that is confusing us, IDK.)

and this isn't even touching on "1. johnny hit by bus. 2. johnny taken to hospital" - sorry, but this is a main concept, not different elements. separate, they could be elements. but together, they are a VERY specific storyline that certainly is not going to fit with certain other story-lines. we have to stay away from such concrete things in the beginning to allow for collaborative creativity. Just to be clear, we are NOT at this stage at all interested in original author voice. Don't take that the wrong way . . . we'll bring all these more concrete ideas and voices in at a later stage. Right now I'd like to get a bunch of really loose elements together and poll to condense them down to a smaller number of the ones folks are most attracted to . . . the stronger ones. AFTER THAT, we can each reconstitute some of the more concrete ideas, working of course with our generic elements. They'll be there to get the creative juices flowing, etc.

Do not worry about this not getting of the ground. @atticusd and myself share the same sentiment. I too will see this to completion even if I have to write it myself. But doing this together is more fun (even if a bit slower and more messy), and I think we will end up with a better script by working together.

oh, and @atticusd don't even talk about unemployed people not being busy. If you are looking for work, it is a full-time job. hope you find good employment soon, I know how not having work can mess things up real fast.

EDIT:
    Ok, let us redefine our two categories:

1. PLOT/STORY LINES (anything dictating a concrete plot or scenario)
    2. Generic Conceptual Elements (NO scenarios, NO plot points or progressions. Everything else. These can be parts of storyline/plots, but ONLY ones that have been extracted and generalized to the point where specific plot and storyline are no longer present.)
  • @B3Guy

Thanks for the words of support. They mean a lot, really.

Just to check that we are on the same page, would you be okay with this kind of distribution?

----------------

**2) “Stowaway” (original by @atticusd)**

**""Specific Plot Elements""**

* A man who calls himself Peter but doesn’t remember his real name or the tiniest detail of his own past.

* Peter can jump from one human host to another. He doesn’t know why he has this ability. He doesn’t stay for long in one host or else he screws this person’s life for good.

* The jumps take him all around the globe. He doesn’t control the destination.

* At first it’s not clear whether he’s the victim or the villain of the story.

**""Generic Conceptual Elements""**
    * A person in a perpetual search for himself/herself.

* A man dealing with ordinary conflicts with extraordinary circumstances in the background.

* A person with the ability to jump from one human host to another at will.

--------------------

The Generic Conceptual Elements would be used for the next poll and the Specific Plot Elements could come in handy (or not) in a later stage.

• May be I do not understand anything in collaboration processes in filmmaking :-)

But I think that it must be pretty similar to normal filmmaking.
    I mean less democracy, more order and results.

From my poor view you need some order.
    Don't want to interfere, of course. Just some thought.
  • @atticusd: EXACTLY. you nailed it on the "generic conceptuals".
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev
    Thanks for your input Vitaliy! You certainly got a point there. Only problem I see is that in these initial stages and taking into account that we're using online forums as the main form of communication, if you start giving orders without trying to get a consensus, even if you have the best intentions in mind, you're likely to come up as a dictatorial douche bag. Right now we need some democracy to choose the base ingredients of the project, then the main roles will be assigned and everything will go much more smoothly (I hope). And by the way, you have every right to interfere and are very welcome to do so.

@B3Guy
    Ok, then. I’ll start working on it. Let’s build this motherfucker up!