Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
95MB/s Sandisk Extreme Pro cards
  • There has been various reports from P-V users that the new 95mb/s Sandisk Extreme Pro SD cards are fast enough for previously un-span-able PTool settings to now span.

@Jspatz reported earlier today that he was able to achieve spanning with @driftwoods SeAQuake on a 64GIG Sandisk Extreme Pro 95Mb/s. This is HUGE news!

UPDATE:
    @SAGE
    >Only the 64gb will work.

>Ed Lee confirmed that his 32gb 95MB/s failed to span. Its safe to assume that the 16 and 8 will perform likewise.
    >Only the 64gb is labeled as 'SDXC'.

UPDATE 2nd Dec 2011:
    @itimjim
    >I can confirm that the card (95MB/s 64gig) spans with SeAQuake

WHOOHO!

824136.jpg
    500 x 500 - 195K
    824139.jpg
    500 x 500 - 196K
    824140.jpg
    500 x 500 - 156K
    824149.jpg
    500 x 500 - 199K
  • 242 Replies sorted by
  • No problem. Not sure if that means they aren't knock offs or anything. I haven't sent my newest one through the ringers yet though. They do look a lot cheaper though.

• Thanks Vic, it didn't stop up on me yet, but I was still nervous. I appreciate the clarity.

• @daisuke I have three of these cards and two are the same as your second one, including my newest one. They all seem to work fine for me though.

• So I ordered a second 64gb card through amazon's main site. Not a vendor one, and this version seems have a different back from my previous one. The front is the same, however the back does not have the "Sandisk" engraved on the back. It still has made in china and the serial number in the same spot however. Has anybody else seen this difference with the latest model?

• Which is the fastest write card for a GH-2? Mainly for fast stills photography.

• @tinbeo The GH1 does not support SDXC cards like that, only SDHC cards.

• My http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/1f/91d1f54ba57421a86528c2d34b6138.jpg showed " Memory Card Error - Memory Card Parameter Error " in GH1

Same Card work perfect in GH2

• Did some ""extreme..." testing with 2 new sandisk extreme pro 95mb/sec SD cards. One is the 64GB SDXC 95mb/sec The other the 32GB SDHC 95mb/sec

Tested with atto and blackmagic speed test, different methods of writing/reading and formatting ended up the following numbers:

64GB model: 39mb/sec write speed - 61mb/sec read speed (both in FAT and exFAT, same results) 32GB model: 62mb/sec write speed - 83mb/sec read speed (FAT)

Test was performed with a mac mini 2011 model which has the card reader connected straight to the sata bus (so no firewire/usb limitations).

Yes, i was a bit amazed about the large difference as well, and the fact that the 32GB was so much faster (around 50% faster writing and 33% faster reading) according to sandisk is was within spec and both cards were valid sandisk products, throughout the tests with different partitioning and ways of writing/reading data results were very consistant, never being being more off than a margin of 5mb/sec off the above mentioned average results, i formatted cards in the mac and also did tests after formatting them on the GH2.

So,..."95mb/sec".... i don't believe any of these cards sold reach that speed, maybe some but only when you're lucky enough the get a "good card" and only on reading performance, just wanna state again.. my card reader is not the limiting factor here.

Still 39mb/sec writing speed on the 64GB is still around 400mbit, way better than my old sandisk cards, because the 30mb/sec and 45/mb/sec ones from sandisk rarely got me more than around 20mb/sec writing speed, just enough for the really heavy codecs but id rather have the headroom of the extreme pro 95mb/sec in case of the rare speed drops on the card, something which might impact spanning as well.

Havent done any spanning test yet but will try to make some running driftwood's Boom V1 first.

• Was the card reader a USB 3.0 device plugged into a USB 3.0 port? Is your computer fast? Only ways you'll get the high transfer speed. If you checked off those boxes and it's still slow then maybe you received a bum card.

• I bought my 32GB 95mb/s Sandisk from B&H months ago when they had the deal, and the latest transfer I did this past week from card to PC was around 21mb/s....is that a bit slow for this card? I can't imagine that B&H would be selling knockoffs unknowingly...

• @david_d SanDisk 64GB 95MB/s performs the best for spanning.

• hello everyone,

I wanna try FlowMotion v2 or Apocalypse Now. What kind of cards I have to buy ?

SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s SDSDXPA-064G-X46 http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-UHS-1-Memory-SDSDXPA-064G-X46/dp/B005LFT3UW/

or SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s SDSDXPA-032G-X46 http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Class-Memory-SDSDXPA-032G-X46/dp/B005LFT3QG/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

I need to record long interviews (+ 1 hour) and outdoor shootings. 1080/24

Actually, I'm lost. I really don't know what to choose. The 64-GB card is supposed to be faster, but some says it suffers of the "file limit exceeded" error message.

How many minutes can I shoot with a 32 GB and with 64 GB ?

Also, I'm planning to try the GH3...

Thank you so much.

• @thepalalias Ok well switched to NTSC and I have had no faults as of yet! It seems the no adverse settings were tested in NTSC so PAL is a bit unknown to the maker I think and it did seem that was the problem but I have no tested extensively just pretty well now so off I go :D ...thanks

• @thepalalias Hmmm well I did a 3 pass erase of the sd card for the hell of it with cccleaner - dont know if thats helped and also I went and put no adverse effects back on and it seems alot more stable but only alot - as it froze again but only on like the 15th video so it was alot better - but this still does not fill me with joy as this setting is not supposed to go wrong on any setting surely?! I was on iso 12800 in black and white with 500 shutter speed - it possibly was trying to do face recognition but I am unsure anyway. One final idea I had was to maybe just do the reset - as in uncheck everything like you would with going back to original firmware but then just check the extra things like 30 mins plus and the iso ntsc pal menu - as a last choice ? For now I will carry on trying - its possible I need to try NTSC as I am PAL at the mo...ok well I am on NTSC now I shall see how far I get...I assume the hack only alters video settings - nothing in the still shots is touched yer?

Edit: just noticed one more thing no adverse effects says V1.0e in the info in ptool when I hover over the settings letter (next to camera icon) were as sanity V5 says v1.11 not sure why this is - anyway just noticed.

• @vtablix Best of luck - I remember that feeling when I started with the GH2 hacks last year. :)

The trick in giving advice to people that are starting out is trying to remember the things that weren't intuitive that you start to take for granted after using the hacked settings for a while.

• @thepalalias Ah ok I was thinking that sanity V5 was a low level and therefore really easily under the specs of this fast pro SD card. Thanks for that its a big help - I was getting problems with the no adverse before hopefully somethings changed - will do that next. To be honest I doubt I would use the 128000 iso with color much - it is a bit awful but I was just testing the boundaries. And yes I got a 14 - 140mm HD mega iso lens I was trying all the settings too so no wonder I found some errors - its all becoming clearer now - hard when your new to see all thing kind of stuff - thanks! Need to get experimenting tmrw...

• @vtablix Most of the settings have notes in the descriptions about what will and will not work well. I am afraid that with Sanity 5, combining auto shutter with such a high ISO can cause problems. If you want to use that combination, you may still be able to use "No Adverse Effects", which was designed to run with just about anything but is similar in bitrate to Sanity 5.

So my advice would be to either try No Adverse Effects or retry Sanity 5 after ensuring you are not exceeding the reccommneded settings.

Sorry that you seem to inadvertently be running into most of the potential problems - I had not anticipated that specific usage.

Btw, what shooting mode are you using? HBR is generally one of the least stable and 24H or24L are the most stable (depending on the author). If you are shooting 24H with manual shutter, you should be able to get stable performance with Sedna Q20 C spanning on that card, even at ISO 3,200 (and likely ISO 12,800 as well.)

Here is a list of things that make it harder for the camera to keep up, so you know what to look for in the setting notes.

• Auto ISO, IA and IR
    • Auto Focus
    • Electronic lenses take more processing power than manual onens
    • Some settings only work well to a specific ISO (e.g. 3200 or 5000 etc.)
    • Some settings have trouble with extremely detailed content.
    • Some settings have trouble with anything other than 24H or 24L.
    • Most of the Driftwood settings from late last year to the middle of this one were almost entirely optimized for 24H.
  • @thepalalias Yep just tried fresh version of all software - ptools and sanity V5 settings and on second video again it said recording stopped due to card not being fast enough - fek! I was in 12800 iso color when it froze and auto shutter I think. I hava no idea why :( ...am I just being a noob and not knowing about a fact like some settings will crash the camera how ever fast the sd card or something?

Edit: adding a stream parser file of a black and white movie at 128000 iso with sanity V5 High bit rate. I dont know how to use this program but do you see any thing that might help? Obviously that one didn't crash - all the crashed ones are 0k and unable to use.

stream parser test footage.jpg
    1287 x 669 - 220K
  • @thepalalias Sound the trumpets - it was the USB 2 slowing it down! I did not realise USB 2 ran at 23MBps sometimes! Wow that is awful! Its got a theoretical speed of 60MBps but I read online it supposed to be going at at least 40MBps :( .

Ok so I got this as my true readings of my extreme pro 95MBps with USB 3 (see attachment) I am no expert but that feels like all is fine yes? I never expected 95 and after learning about ratings 76MBps is good enough for now for any of the low level hacks I am trying by far surely?!

So I am assuming something is wrong with my software or hardware on the camera - I have not heard of anything that could cause this in hardware terms so its the software then I guess?

I did buy it second hand so I have no idea what the previous owner did but it was on 1.1 original firmware when I got it. I am back on the original firmware via ptools with no settings clicked - so I hope its reset something. I will now try a hack again from fresh and see what happens...thanks...

extreme pro crystalmark.jpg
    415 x 391 - 75K
  • @vtablix I normally test settings/cards by grabbing the fastest manual focus lens I can and shooting at controlled test subject with controlled light (so either a dark room with artificial light or at night with artificial light) at f/4 or f/5.6. Painting are especially useful if you can focus in on the canvas texture.

But a really helpful control (in your case) would be if there were anybody in you area that had used a similar card with good results. If you could borrow their card and test both using whatever testbed you mentioned earlier, then you could get a reference for how a properly functioning one should perform and see if this one performend noticeably lower.

Remember that the bitrate for most demanding settings right now is somewhere in the vicinity of 150 mbps (some a bit more, some a bit less) so a datarate of 160mbps (20MB/s) could be enough depending on how much worse the card gets in worst case scenarios (and how big the spikes can get).

In other words, the card (as tested) seems like it could potentially exceed your needs. Also remember that UHS-I support is required to fully exploit the highest speeds these cards can offer. The GH2 does not have thta but the GH3 promises to in the official specs. In other words, on the GH2 the minimum performance will prove more important than the average performance.

Good luck, and yes I agree: nothing tends to be as simple as one might hope. :)

• @thepalalias Siigh nothings ever simple or works at the stated levels eh! I guess the only way to be sure is to grab a USB 3 PCI-e card tmrw up town and make sure I know this SD cards proper speed :( ...

• @vtablix My exact wording was "not neceassarily proof of fake". I spent a lot of time beta testing and debugging for tech companies and small businesses and one thing I learned is that there are more ways for things to go wrong or for data to end up skewed than you can shake a stick at. :)

All I am saying is, the sutained data transfer rate is only one indicator of performance (though a helpful one) and if you are using the cards primarily for taking videos with the GH2, then the only way to completely avoid skewed data is by testing with that very application.

For example, we have had different results from two cards verified from the same manufacturer and with same specs safe for capacity. Both perform differently. You can see that in the table I mentioned earlier.

Anyway, if you have poor luck with the GH2 (as in not getting the same results as others shooting with the same settings and the same card in the same mode) then I would think it is a fake. Based on what you told me, there just is not enough data and we would have to spend a lot of time ruling out other variables to be sure. :)

• @thepalalias Hmmm it is weird that 23MBps is the speed of the sandisk extreme see here: http://jalada.co.uk/2012/06/25/transcend-16gb-vs-sandisk-extreme-32gb-sdhc-card.html

I am stunned you say a 95MBps card doing 23MBps is normal :O ! Its 2 MB faster than my cheapo crap card - what was the point in me buying this?! I am almost certain they have taken a cheap sandisk card and put a extreme pro label on it surely?! Unless you can tell me what why it would be doing this slow speed? Your thinking its the USB 2? Not tried more demanding settings but I kind of think I know what will happen :S ...Thanks!

• @janders312 Some hacked settings work better with those modes than others. The best card to use for all the hacks is the SanDisk 64GB 95MB/s. Not at all hacked settings require it, but it has the lowest risk of having any problems.

Look through Driftwood's newer thread for better settings that might work. It mentions what shooting modes work well in the description.

@vtablix Not necessarily proof of fake. Have you tried doing shooting tests with the more demanding settings and comparing your experiences to those in the Driftwood thread?

• Ive got a san disk extreme pro 95 MBps and its showing 23MBps on crystal mark and other software for speed testing - I am using USB 2 on my PC and and new USB 3 card reader - is this proof of a fake? Or possibly a label was swapped between a pro and a non pro to make mine look better? Thanks!