Personal View site logo
GH3 user reviews and opinions
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @Mimirsan battery life shows a marked improvement. You can comfortably film a 90 minute gig (constant) like I did last night with half battery spare.

@jjj_ri_usa And you can lock down tracking as in (below)

Tracking.png
    999 x 797 - 302K
  • @Mimirsan Thanks, got that. I know that the Panasonic Managers don't know everything, but I was not expecting explicid wrong things, for I have asked exactly about 29:59 and got that answer. Anyway, let us hope for Vitaliy.

• @Driftwood How is the battery life? The GH2's was weak im hoping this has been improved!

• @AKED looks like VK is saying Its the EU Camcorder tax thing..if the GH3 had unlimited record times then the tax for the camera would be higher (considered a video cam). So thats the saving money aspect. This is widely known and old news. Its no different than any other DSLR in th EU. They all have the restriction. Dont want the restriction? Import a NTSC model...or wait for a hack.

Not sure why you expected otherwise...Panasonic Managers dont know everything and its all about selling cameras. Like this bullshit about peaking "may" be in future firmware. They got your money.

• @Vitaliy I do not quite understand what you ment. Who seems to be fixed to save some $?

In the interview with Panasonic sales Manager Matthias Matthes, he said, that the GH3 woud stop recording, drop one frame and then continue to record. But maybe this is with the 4 GB limit, when the camera continues to write the video in a new file, once reached the 4GB limit. Not with thw 29:59 recording time limit.

• @AKED

I do not see why you expected it to behave differently, as this guys seems to be really fixed to save few $ :-)

• Yep that a confirm on the > 30 min PAL problem.

• 29:59 recording limit in the EU: The topic is NOT solved by Panasonic. The camera stops after 29.59 and does NOT continue to record automatically.

So besides PAL-NTSC, another reason for the hack.

• I quite like some of the Creative Control modes.

• @vitaliy sorry I understand.. but those prices ARE both for body only! I was just expressing my opinion about GH3, Panasonic are charging too much here in the UK! :)

• I've only had the GH3 for about 36 hours. So far I am very happy. However, it is true that the EVF has issues. I've used a GH1 for 3 years. It's EVF is decent, and I never noticed anything 'unusual' with it.

The EVF on my GH3 will have out of focus areas on the edges, if you are not viewing perfectly straight in, and, that does often happen. But, in my limited experience, this has only happened when viewing MENUs. I've yet to notice this effect when framing shots using the viewfinder. I know that seems strange, but...

Still, for a $1299 camera, it seems like it should have a had a better optical design to the EVF. It is annoying when navigating the menus, but it is not a deal breaker for me.

I've almost NEVER used the LCD screen on my GH1. I'll probably start using the OLED screen on the GH3 for navigating menus.

Perhaps this is a QC issue, and some people have EVFs that are worse than others? But, for me, when viewing menus, it is annoying, but not terribly bad. And, so far, I've never noticed this effect when framing a shot.

PS: Yes, I've adjusted the diopter to get best results for my eyes, but, I still seeing the annoying out of focus fringes on the far edges of the EVF, but, only when viewing menus.

• @matthere

It is not topic about how you like or not the price ( despite the fact that you seems to compare kit to body)

Check first post, it is only for user reviews and opinions, for ones who have cameras.

• I'm sure it will need an app update as the app was out before the GH3 was a twinkle in an engineers eye.

If everyone who buys a GH3 hits them with email requests they might expedite. If they still have staff left.

I'm hoping for a 6mnth firmware update with focus peaking. I'll miss my varavon loupe on the GH3 for focussing.

• Im still unable to use the iphone wifi link with my GH3-seems the iphone once connected with the wifi code given from the GH3 simply cannot connect to the camera....I hope this get sorted as it is one of the main reasons I bought.

• I do like the look of some of the GH3's features, but I am struggling to come to terms with the pricing for the UK consumer.. (a typical example)

Current price for GH3 body only on Amazon uk = £1610.41 or $2578.00 Current price for GH3 body only on Amazon us = $1299.00 or £811.23

Isn't anybody else concerned about price trends?

It would be nice to find out the best uk/eu prices or I may need to wait to see if it can be hacked to make the ntsc/pal switchable.

• @LongJohnSilver

No choice between NTSC and PAL worlds ...

• @driftwood, as a gentle and begging reminder, you know that a lot of people here is waiting for your test (the chicken photos comparing gh3 vs gh2) in 1080p !!

• @gib no it doesnt. :-( Batteries are showing unavailable till next week at most warehouses.

@SuperSet The Advanced User Manual is the one on the green cdrom. Its much more insightful (and in colour) than the basic printed manual which comes with it. It was written and finished on 20th October and was obviously done by someone who was in a rush- its not too bad - but one or two settings aren't clearly explained.

• Got my GH3 this morning, it just feels a lot more solid than I was expecting, even the shutter sounds a bit more pro. I am giving the battery a full charge before I head out with it into the cold December sunshine

I have ordered the battery grip, but does anyone know if it comes with an extra battery ?

• For you lucky dudes that now have the camera, how is the manual? I ask because I found the GH2 manual quite abysmal and often had to search out the answer in an online forum.

• moved....

• @jules @driftwood

Move to proper topic about Loupe.

• @jules I'd assume that the Varavon would work with it - the 'larger' body of the GH3 isn't that much larger (without battery grip) and the display dimensions are roughly the same - you have the GH2/GH1 version?

• Hardware 'review' question.. Anyone with a new GH3 also own a Varavon Loup EX? Am assuming with larger body, these Loupes won't work on the GH3.. Can someone confirm?