Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • No proper pink model for VK

• I am a little disappointed by the non multi aspect ratio type sensor mostly for the size of the sensor. Before many did not make the move because they thought that M43 was too small while in reality it was more like Canon Apsc 1.6 to Gh2 1.86, which was not that big. Now going to 2.1 is quite big difference.

• I sincerely hope that Panasonic has a lower price than $ 1300 for body only. Looking beyond the m43 fan, I can't see it competing well with 2 new $ 2000 full frame camera from Nikon or Canon and $ 300 more than an Apsc Nikon D7000.

I know that for some here that are for video only the gh3 is well worth it, but for 90% + of the market this is not the case. They Panasonic have to compete against a whole set of camera from very established camera companies that have a whole ecosystem of lens, flash system, etc.

As a Nikon user as a photographer I came to the gh2 because of the price quality ratio and I could adapt my lens. But if this camera cost so much I might better either invest in a d600 (that will come normally) as a backup to my D800 or even think about a BMC. I think a lot of people will be in the same case. Contrary to many here who live only in the m43 video world I think a bit more about the general market for this camera to succeed beyond just a niche market, thereby ensuring the survival of this model/brand.

• Jizzyjones 3:20PM

GH3 will match the AF100 then at 17.8 x 10 in 16:9, yes? as that was also 2.1x crop

I think is 17.3 x 9.7 in 16:9 mode, as for any other G/GF/GX camera

• I rarely follow new kit and specifications as closely as I have for the gh cameras, do camera manufacturers regulally dish out all of this dubious news through rumors.. to then turn around and give some positive news on announcement day?

Thumbs down to.. no muti-aspect sensor? new sensor with less resolution than previous model? Iso range hoping to drop to 100 actually higher than current model at 200? Inceasing size of camera? Increasing cost of camera?

Thumbs up to.. BMCC is good value for money? Already having a gh2..

I am an optimistic kind of guy.. hoping for some good news tomorrow :)

• GH3 will match the AF100 then at 17.8 x 10 in 16:9, yes? as that was also 2.1x crop

• When a 4:3 aspect ratio sensor is switched to 16:9, the angle of view is about 9% narrower. In this case the GH3 crop factor will be around 2.18

• I'm cautiously excited. If they give us similar or better than GH2 video performance in a pro body with a few new bells and whistles in a market where most worthwhile options seem to cost $3,000+ than I think we're cooking with gas.

• I'm bummed out about the lack of multi-aspect ratio, but I welcome the Sony sensor. I'm confident there'll be a big boost in DR in stills mode, but my fingers are still crossed for extra DR in video mode.

They could shave off a couple hundred from the price also.

• 3" OLED screen! It looks like my Varavon Loupe will fit after all. @stonebat But we unforunately still gonna need our ghetto DIY eyecups.

• As far as the sensor being Sony, it would make perfect sense if there is an upgraded AF100 in development with an improved Panasonic sensor. The fact that the GH2, when hacked, looked better than their "Pro" video camera can never have gone down very well at Panasonic.

• I think I got the sensor anxiety. lol. I'll wait until tomorrow, I'm really trying not to draw any negative conclusions based on the unacceptable genesis short.

• Looks to me they made a camera that cater to the prosumer american market (bigger, rugged), in disregard of it's videomaker's favorite niche.

• The holes for the inbuilt mics look tiny, but most folks will be using proper mics anyway.

Looking forward to hear how it fares with the 12-35 lens and also seeing some example JPG's from the GH3.

The weather proofing with wifi and remote control apps will be a good base for some quality time lapses, hopefully a silent electronic shutter option is confirmed tomorrow

Bring on tomorrow for the full specs and early reviews :)

• Theoretically and from the technical point of view, will be the new sensor hackable?

• So I guess it makes sense that it is a Sony sensor since it only goes down to ISO 200. So far all I have heard is bad stuff about the GH3(No ISO 160 or lower, No multi-aspect, Higher Price). Hoping there are actually some good surprises tomorrow.

• @ mpgxsvcd

Specs says: Splash/Dustproof Design

• @Astro I really liked the colour, some of the fleshtones looked fantastic (but was probably a certain look they were going for anyway). Detail wise is still better than most, certainly looks in between FS100/C300 in that department. But the gradiation/low light/DR has clearly improved.

• The Samy's ad specs say that it is NOT weather sealed. That is wrong, right?

• 500€ more for the body only is to much. I expected something around 1000€ for the body. For now the features are not so good to justify the switch. In the 1300 € price range you can take a look around, the great thing about GH line was a cheap camera processed (like the Vespa scooters ;) ). Panasonic bitten off more than you can chew?

• @RRRR Yeah it may have been graded to look kind of muddy green and brown...god knows why tho?

Oh well the release is not far off, hopefully a few of these questions will be answered, I am happy to wait and see.

@Alfi666 Maybe the Sony Sensor will produce better colors...I really hope so, maybe the early production camera had no color profiles or flexibility...we will find out I guess.

All I am saying is the video promo certainly didn't show good colors or detail at all on 1080P...not to my eyes anyway.

• Sony sensor might not be as bad thing... maybe it will produce more "Sony" colors than Panasonic? Sony can be easily matched with Canons color wise... but Panasonic... well they are just off and require quite alot color correcting to get it at least close enough...

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Okay, that might help soften the blow. :)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions