Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • Maybe it´s not so bad if the gh3 has a similar sensor as Om-d. For stills quality it should be great and the handling should be a lot better (than om-d). The question-marks remain on the video side. Moreover, panasonic will have to go to some lengths for the future to get in touch with their own sensors. Multi aspect is not so interesting for me personally; I don´t mind the gh3 being close to the bmd cam in terms of framing on similar focal lengths.

Price seems on the high end (for now) but I expect it to drop rapidly. 2k for cam + 12-35 kit would be reasonable.

• @tinyrobot

Nope, 16mp is used only in 4:3 mode, as it is in all non multi-aspect sensors. Other modes are just croppings, hence less sensor is used.

Bad thing here is wide lenses will be less, well, wide.

• Ahh...so longer focal multiplier.

• Multi aspect is not so interesting for me personally; I don´t mind the gh3 being close to the bmd cam in terms of framing on similar focal lengths.

Personally I think that it is time to make circular oversized sensors. Really. At least some simple innovation.

• I bought Gh2 for 630 last year if Gh3 will cost 1300-that is double price for "PRO" in target name. Cant see any reason in this specs. Splash resistant and bigger size makes this camera PRO ? lol

• It is bad since the active sensor area is smaller, and you need to multiply your lenses by 2 on GH3 instead of 1.86 on GH2. Especially those who prefer to shoot wide will hate that.

edit: That what i call an active tread..

• Hmm I guess maybe tomorrow Philip could answer why the colors on that promo are so green and brownish, and all the indoor shots of the guy are so blunt and not very detailed. I mean the video was great in that it induced excitement, and style and lots of variety and was very well done...so kudos to Philip on that.

But the colors were dull and flat (camera fault, and a good deal of the shots were soft..(Camera Fault)

Maybe it was because it was a pre production model...I hope so.

Also the non multi aspect sensor from Sony (if that is true) is a big deal to me, if that is true its a dealbreaker for me, so many people like the Multi Aspect sensor...why ditch it? and instead use a Sony?

• Vitaliy circular oversized sensors is of no practicall aproach since the yield in silicon waffer should not be recomended for mass production, too much silicon wasted :D But it shure sounds good size wise

• A circular oversized sensor on a gyroscope would be so cool! Just imagine.

• Regarding price (and all these are in USD for U.S. market):

GH1 - June 2009 MSRP (with 14-140mm) $1499/1500

Later on the lens sold for $850 alone but too much time passed before a body only configuration was available to give useful data.

GH2 - At Photokina 2010

MSRP (with 14-140mm) $1499.95 (With 14-42mm) $999.95 Body only $899.95

So a circa 44% increase in launch MSRP for a body only configuration from the GH2 to the GH3, with no increase in launch price from the GH1 to the GH2.

• @thepalalias

May be 14-140mm will drop to $200 a piece inside kit :-) ?

• Well if the Sony non multi aspect sensor is true, and the camera produces video that looks as soft as that promo vid.

Then the Gh2 will be a well sought after beast!!

Its like in the early days when Fender sold to CBS and they started building guitars that didn't expand on the tradition that people liked, like solid metal blocks, nitro finish etc...so eventually people started going back to the earlier models in their droves (and there was no internet and blogs then!!). I realize that this is different than hi tech cameras...but what companies see as a forward move, isn't always forward, its often a step in the wrong direction...(and word spreads quickly...5d Mk3 as an example) But we will see soon enough I guess.

• @Astro; that vid may well have been softened in post or shot with some sort of diffuser to soften them up. Bloom wrote they used native m43 + 43 lenses, out of which many are good at creating overly sharp images = not very cinematic.

You also talk about the colors being the camera fault - well, we can only assume it has been graded so you can´t say much about the camera there either.

Bottomline is, not much can be said about the video capabilities so far, except for what we know in the specs.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Okay, that might help soften the blow. :)

• Sony sensor might not be as bad thing... maybe it will produce more "Sony" colors than Panasonic? Sony can be easily matched with Canons color wise... but Panasonic... well they are just off and require quite alot color correcting to get it at least close enough...

• @RRRR Yeah it may have been graded to look kind of muddy green and brown...god knows why tho?

Oh well the release is not far off, hopefully a few of these questions will be answered, I am happy to wait and see.

@Alfi666 Maybe the Sony Sensor will produce better colors...I really hope so, maybe the early production camera had no color profiles or flexibility...we will find out I guess.

All I am saying is the video promo certainly didn't show good colors or detail at all on 1080P...not to my eyes anyway.

• 500€ more for the body only is to much. I expected something around 1000€ for the body. For now the features are not so good to justify the switch. In the 1300 € price range you can take a look around, the great thing about GH line was a cheap camera processed (like the Vespa scooters ;) ). Panasonic bitten off more than you can chew?

• The Samy's ad specs say that it is NOT weather sealed. That is wrong, right?

• @Astro I really liked the colour, some of the fleshtones looked fantastic (but was probably a certain look they were going for anyway). Detail wise is still better than most, certainly looks in between FS100/C300 in that department. But the gradiation/low light/DR has clearly improved.

• @ mpgxsvcd

Specs says: Splash/Dustproof Design

• So I guess it makes sense that it is a Sony sensor since it only goes down to ISO 200. So far all I have heard is bad stuff about the GH3(No ISO 160 or lower, No multi-aspect, Higher Price). Hoping there are actually some good surprises tomorrow.

• Theoretically and from the technical point of view, will be the new sensor hackable?

• The holes for the inbuilt mics look tiny, but most folks will be using proper mics anyway.

Looking forward to hear how it fares with the 12-35 lens and also seeing some example JPG's from the GH3.

The weather proofing with wifi and remote control apps will be a good base for some quality time lapses, hopefully a silent electronic shutter option is confirmed tomorrow

Bring on tomorrow for the full specs and early reviews :)

• Looks to me they made a camera that cater to the prosumer american market (bigger, rugged), in disregard of it's videomaker's favorite niche.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions