Personal View site logo
AVCHD: Extreme settings
  • Topic devoted to extreme settings for AVCHD modes.
  • 278 Replies sorted by
  • These are the most extreme 1080 24P 3 GOP settings I have tested that produce an amazing, filmic image while still managing to playback in cam, computer and ingest into an NLE (still has 10 frame glitch in beginning of clip):

Video Bitrate 24H=65000000
    1080i50 and 1080p24 GOP Size=3
    Video buffer=0x3000000
    Video buffer 24p=0x3600000
    1080p24 High Top Setting=42418
    1080p24 High Bottom Setting=29692
    1080p24 Low Top Setting=31178
    1080p24 Low Bottom Setting=21824

(PAL users wanting to shoot 1080i/50 may need to add the following as the above settings force pal 1080i GOP to 3:
    Video Bitrate FSH/SH=42000000
    Video Bitrate FH/H=35000000
  • Looks good @kae

What was your process to arrive at the chosen high / low, top / bottom settings?

Thanks, will test these.
  • @EOSHD

Luck. I just multiplied the defaults x 2 and kept hiking up the 24H video bitrate until it capped. A 3x multiplier didn't work and a 2.2x didn't change the result so I stopped at 2x. The GOP 3 I've been using for months with 1080 24P Native on the GH1 getting about 48mb/s and very filmic footage. But the GH1 at that setting wasn't stable on death charts, grass or trees. The GH2 is AND at a much higher Mb/s.
  • @Kae
    These settings have a little less "blip" than your old ones. Could it be a setting? I'm getting upwards of 65-70Mbps max with these settings on "the cat of death" who's strange fur patterns will lock up a codec and the camera doesn't choke at all on these settings. Very nice. I'll test more tomorrow if I can.
  • @svart

Thanks. I'm liking them better too. Just really raised the Video Bitrate 24H to 65 mill and dumped all the testers bitrate settings per Vitaliy's guidance. If you want to use other modes besides 24p without lockups I've attached the full (without MPEG) settings here. I think when you're finished with the death cat, real world, handheld, heavy motion footage will impress.

Also, per your post (I think) I decided to turn off b frames and tested the exact same settings so the GOP ended up being an I frame and 2 P frames rather than an I frame and 2 Bs. The Bs seemed to look better. I'll wait for a codec guru to enlighten me as to why.

EDIT: Some testers have had problems in other modes with this. IF you do add in:

Video Bitrate FSH/SH=42000000
    Video Bitrate FH/H=35000000

And set all GOP settings back to default EXCEPT for 1080i/50_24P which should be kept to GOP 3.

Also make sure you use a RELIABLE PROVEN Class 10 card and reformat before trying.
    KAE1080_24P_65M_3GOP.zip
    505B
  • @Kae

now i try to you setting and i think this good settings.. maybe i want to try make movie with your setting..

but when record zoom is cant be play on camera...

i try use 14-40 lens kit lumix
  • have you shot anything with these settings yet? can you send a link/embed?
  • @Mbhuyko

"but when record zoom is cant be play on camera..."

I just did two minutes with the 65Mb/s 1080 24P settings on my US version cam zooming a lot with the 14-140mm, image stabilization on and continuous autofocus plus autoshutter which really strains the chipset and the clip played back fine in camera and on desktop. Are you suing a reliable Class 10 newly formatted card to test? If not, you must.
  • @ALL

TESTERS ONLY - KAE - 65M Extreme 1080 24P 3 GOP Settings with all other MODES STOCK

Since many have been having problems with some of my settings in modes OTHER than 24P I've decided to post just the unchanged 65M 1080 24P 3 GOP settings with all other modes set to stock (except 1080i/50 as the GOP is locked to the 24P GOP).

This will allow all of you to test just the 1080 24p mode knowing that all other modes will be stock and unaffected. You can then modify the other mode settings at will. The 65M extreme settings are targeted at the digital filmmaker who is looking for the best performance and highest quality out of the GH2 in 24P. It IS NOT targeted at the event shooter who needs to do hour long takes, etc.

For some reason in 1080 24P I can only write a 4 gig file, it will not span. This will give you roughly 7min 13 secs on the death chart and probably 10 minute takes on normal shots (similar to film). More than enough for a filmmaker but lousy for an event shooter. So be forewarned.

The 7 minute death chart clips will probably not play back in your cameras but most NORMAL footage in this mode will. The death chart clips will play back on the desktop and ingest into an NLE.

I'm going to stop testing anything other than the 24P mode as that's all I use, so I look forward to others testing those modes and coming up with high bitrate stable settings.

I would like to be able to post these 65M 1080 24P settings in the stable thread after you guys can prove that they are stable.

The 1080p will do a max of 65Mb/s average bit rate at 3 GOP with bursts up to 93 Mb/s and I don't know if the GH2 will ever do better, but Vitaliy surprises all the time.

Please start with a freshly formatted Class 10 card. I have shot the death chart 4 times for 7 minutes straight without issues so I think most of you will not have any probs with these 1080 24p settings.

To get JUST the 65M 1080 24P 3 GOP in your INIs all you need to change are these settings:

Video Bitrate 24L=35000000

If you want GOP 6 or 12 just change '1080i50 and 1080p24 GOP Size=' (GOP of 2, 4 and 5 will not work in 24P).
    KAE65M24P3GOPOtherModesSTOCK.zip
    385B
  • @kae I know you mean this for film mainly but.. lets say i use the same download file but lower the bitrate a little. For Narrative film it will not bother me to have a ten min limit, that's fine but i'm trying to figure out if i can use same settings but only change bit rate to slightly lower say 58mbs. This way i can still walk around and look for a scene documentary style, but say with 15min limit instead of 10min, seems more manageable. im not saying 58mbs is right the value to get a 15min file to equal 4gigs but that's what i'm aiming at.

I suspect it stops recording at 4 gigs due to the card's file format, 4gigs is the limit for a lot of formats used in flash card etc. I think 15 min is perfectly manageable in both situations. Ideally because i go from narrative/scripted stuff to pay the bills, to personal stuff constantly and i want to avoid updating firmware every single day or even a couple times a day. I don't imagine you know off hand if lowering it to 58mbs would work with the rest of your settings but figured i would ask just in case.

Edit: Actually for now i'm going to try setting 24H to 65mbs but then 24L to 48mbs like i was already using based on vitaly's suggestion for 24H and i already like very much. The rest of your file i am leaving untouched.This should fix everything i was concerned about its just before i never touched the other stuff you changed so i hope 48mbs is still going to work the same in 24L as it did in 24H but now with your other parameters (testers stuff) for both of these... i hope that wasn't confusing.
  • @OSGondar, I'm in a similar boat -- keep us posted on your experiments. I'm going to play around with this this weekend and see what the best quality I can get in the 20 minute range is -- should be able to get it up there though, cuz at GH2s factory settings I once shot a 2 hour, 15 minute interview without a problem (either shooting or getting it into AVID). I still have that file actually -- should check if it was 4 gigs or less to see if that is the limit (good hypothesis though).

Long term I probably plan to just have two 1 gig SD cards with different firmwares on them so I can switch up in the field if need be. I do really enjoy Kae's settings -- was just panning to follow cars coming off the freeway last night, and shooting some static stuff hand held, and the movement was so much better while the handheld static stuff had no jello wiggle at all, which I was getting with the non gop3 settings. @kae Thanks again!
  • @JDN having to carry firmware around on extra cards does not seem like an ideal situation in any term =)

For now i downloaded his file and all i did was change the 24L setting to 48mbs and kept his 24H at 65mbs and all other patches left as he set them. This way i still have a bitrate i know and like in the 24L slot (48mbs) while i test the 65mbs. So we know that it dies at around ten minutes / 4 gigs. I will basically test out different mbs in my 24H slot until i get files cutting at around 15 to 20min. I am leaning towards a 15min run time for "death chart high quality situations" so it will never be shorter than 15 if anything longer if not as much detail in the scene.. For anything i need much longer times for ill just jump down to 48mbs which imo since i did a few color graded tests, looks fantastic graded and very pro already at that rate but much longer file time so i think that's a keeper for my 24L.. And no need for firmware swapping! save your money!

I feel spoiled, my Low setting is film maker worthy as it is, here i am testing my 24H anyway hehe.
  • @OSGondar

I think this is a great solution and I never really played with any of the lower quality settings. The ideal for this cam for me would be the 1080 24P hi-rez 65M (especially if we could figure out how to get it to span) a lower rez 1080 24P like you guys are talking about, same for 1080i and 720p modes, lpowell's extreme MPEG mode and then a high performance WVGA mode that would give us high bitrate 16:9 SD 30P capability. Then all modes are covered in one $900 machine except 25P :-(
  • @kae
    why so final - we are just beginning - in six months we'll see
    there are other settings - I'm sure
    too much dust in the air . . .
  • @Butt Who said it had to be final today? For myself and the other poster its because the camera isnt a toy that's gonna sit there while we figure out the hack. Its a tool we use for work nearly every single day. I'm not in a RUSH for perfect settings but i do have to have "THE" setting i can use or safely default to while i play with something in development. The same is probably true for anyone using the GH2 professionally. You cant just carry around only experimental settings into your next gig... you need something secure / dependable on you. And ideally that setting is the best you can out of the hardware at the moment, The last thing i want to do is stress out during a gig about whether or not its gonna crash or if the footage will be usable or if i'm going to ruin the job, not get paid, not pay this or that bill etc etc.

We want to take advantage of the hardware on the shoot we have tomorrow or the day after not 6 months from now... Ideally all of this chit chat gets us there faster than 6 months down the road.THAT's WHY. If you can wait 6 months to use its potential then fine chill out, never mind us working on it until then. But certainly don't say something like "why the rush" that's ridiculous. Even if you're just a hobbyist.. 6 months? That's an incredible amount of work ill have gotten done and didn't use better settings for if i had your attitude. Comments like yours kind of baffle me.
  • I not wait - I'm working on the Settings
    just too much confusion brings us no closer
    also are more likely to avoid extreme at the present time - precisely because of the stability
  • @Butt i sort of get your opinion but I am finding 65mbs in 24H to be stable already and i really like it, i just want slightly longer run time. My 48mbs setting in 24L is so far so good and everyone already agrees 48mbs is a great run time for the quality setting. Figuring out my particular combination for having both will be perfect for a lot of people and everyone on board with this idea is far from confused. I don't see why it would be confusing to add this to the stable settings especially since this idea has potential to be the new standard for a good portion of us. Its not that far from being done either considering @Kae got it right with the 65mbs so far. I am tweaking already good settings.

Many people will really need / love this combination! its not like we are just pushing things for the sake of testing, this is with clear practical use in mind, ie my next job this week!, and its 80% or more of the way there.
  • OK!
    65MBit: incam-Play is not possible!!!
    60MBit: incam-Play is possible!!!

There is no difference in image quality between 60 and 65MBit: Why should we use unstable 65MBit?

• @Butt um... The file untouched at 65mbs records and played back perfect for me before i started tweaking. So i dunno why you think they don't play. THEY DO, perfectly. The only thing that has not played back for me is higher bit rate in audio but 65mbs for me is ok.

Edit: you are probably right about little to no difference however, But for me both play back in camera.

Edit 2: Maybe its your card? what are you using? I am on a SanDisk Extereme 30MB/s read write 32gig class 10
  • @OSGondar

can you post a *. zip from the setting, which you use? Thanks!
  • @Butt

@Kae Posted his file below look for where it says this:

"To get JUST the 65M 1080 24P 3 GOP in your INIs all you need to change are these settings:

1080p24 Low Bottom Setting=21824"

The file is directly below this. Its the Ninth or tenth in this thread and his last post on here.

For me above settings plays back fine in camera even with peaking closer to 70mbs when reviwed in stream paser. I used those settings but right now i have tweaked the 24L to 48000000 instead of 35mbs and testing other stuff.
  • @OSGondar

In camera playback functions possible????
  • @Butt for me, his settings play back just fine in camera. Yes. By the way i like your settings for 60mbs as well from before its just that i am also interested in how much we can push the camera.
  • i'm using kae's 65mbps gop3 patch. on the topic of automatic file spanning, i did some tests today with 24H mode and with the first attempt the recording stopped after hitting the 4gb limit and would not span. second attempt with no changes to settings, the recording spanned up until the end of the 3rd 4gb file and then stopped, so i got 22-23 minutes of continuous footage. clearly not reliable, but hope that info helps someone.

card is transcend 32gb class 10
    14-140 lens
    pointed the camera at my tv with heavy action scenes playing. avg bitrate was low 60mbps with peaks up to high 80mbps.

besides that i have tried many things to make it crash and the only thing i have found so far to be a problem is ex-tele mode.

edit: i just tried same test as above with SH mode at 42mbps and it spanned after the first 4GB file but stopped 17.8MB into the 2nd file.
  • @Butt
    '65MBit: incam-Play is not possible!!!'

Butt, this is simply not true. The true statement may be 'playback not possible for me'. I use these settings daily and with the only exception being the death chart, the 65mb/s playback in cam fine. But I only test with these settings for the 65MB/s:

If you have other settings loaded and checked it may screw up playback or your card may not be a great card. I don't think it's helpful at all to make BLANKET statements on ANYBODY's settings. I think it's only fair to make statements about what is occurring for you with those settings.

also --

"There is no difference in image quality between 60 and 65MBit: Why should we use unstable 65MBit?"

Prove this for me please, I am open. What are you basing this on, your own eyes or some kind of test?