Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
AVCHD: Extreme settings
  • 278 Replies sorted by
  • @sSTEV A simple matter of doubling or triple the default values. The GH2 seems to handle increments of this nature best, rather than arbitrary increments.
  • @ivan858

Why is the camera in motion? Do you normally film like that?
  • @LPowel I got the same pattern of macroblocking that ivan858 got. I got it with much lower bitrates. Unforunatly I do not have the files saved but my settings where as attatched. 24H, 24L, FSH and FH got the macroblocking. SH and H was unaffected.
    setg.zip
    426B
  • @ivan858 So you are saying that AQ1 gave no macroblocking where AQ3 did. Not that anything wrong with AQ setting itself... but your other settings with AQ3 might have demanded more bandwidth. As @cbrandin said, higher bitrate doesn't necessarily imply higher image quality. As he recommended, finding your working setting with AQ3 might give better image quality at lower overall bitrate.
  • @HenryO - You've cracked it. We just loaded your exact settings, and the noise character of the AVCHD is all but identical to the mjpeg, but with the resolution of AVCHD. AMAZING. I literally cannot believe what I'm seeing from this ridiculously small camera in front of me... keeps getting better.

I'll be honest, I thought there had to be some kind of error with your vimeo post as the bitrate was to high for a 30 second clip. Nope, we're getting the same thing.

One crash so far at 1250iso that required removal of the battery. We're going to keep testing. Thank you!!!
  • @HenryO

I noticed that you mention "Manual Lens" in the comments in your setup file. Is there a problem using the 14-140 lens with auto-focus?

Chris
  • @cbrandin and HenryO - we're using the panny 20mm on manual focus. We've had a couple of crashes at 110, and so went to 88 (the low setting... low!!!), and could shoot the things the 110 was crashing on. I'm a RED owner and am truly amazed at what I'm seeing.
  • Oh, and I was wrong, we're at gop6... otherwise all the same. Grain is great, so I'm hoping we can move away from gop3 for reliability.
  • @Cosimo_bullo Can you attach an .ini of your exact settings? Thanks.
  • Using HenryO settings with 6 GOP seems to be the same quality as 3 GOP due to the large p-frames.
    Stability for me is exactly the same with GOP 6 and GOP 3 - 1080p 30 is unstable as is EX modes. I have about 6 Class 10 cards I'm using for testing.
  • Henry O's setting gave the similar up and down patten at 0 EV. I frame approximately cut in half the size.

The pattern went away at -2 EV.
    110mbps-gop3-aq4.jpg
    1194 x 200 - 90K
  • @Ian_T - Exact same as Henry but with gop6 rather then 3.
  • @cosimo_bullo

"I'm a RED owner and am truly amazed at what I'm seeing."

Quote of the day...
  • No owner of a RED, but I tried. I must say that GH2 is spectacular, if not an expert does not acknowledge disserenza. What do you say?
  • @cosimo_bullo

"I'm a RED owner and am truly amazed at what I'm seeing."

I will trade you my hacked GH2 for your Red. I will even throw in a hacked GF1 for free. The hacked GH2 is unbeatable for the price and size. However, I really would like to get my hands on something that could do good 120 FPS.
  • @mpgxsvcd
    Don't worry... when you get to 120FPS you have to think about so many things... like lighting... and shutter speed etc... Has anyone here seen Peter Jackson's first feature film? No - I am not talking about Heavenly Creatures- I am talking about Bad Taste: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm426286080/tt0092610

I really don't think he used any 120FPS material + he cast himself as (I think) 'hero A & alien A'...

Just goes to show- maybe we don't need to worry about the high end too much... just get something in the can that people want to watch- this is what cinema is about.... and when you 'NEED' 120 frames- thank goodness that there is a camera that can do it.. (Phantom) ;)
  • @alcomposer

I understand what you are saying. However, I am not making feature films here. I just want to capture my gets playing sports in slow motion. Things like BMX freestyle, Skateboarding, and Climbing. I am never going to pay many thousands of dollars for it because the GH2 can do it fairly well.

However, I wouldn’t complain if they found a way to cram it into the GH3 with a global electronic shutter as well.

Here are some samples of the slow motion I would want to shoot @ 120 FPS.

GF1 @ 30 FPS video

• Have been testing with @henryO settings which seemed fine until played back in fcpx, some frames as green screens. Changed GOP to 6 as recommended by @cosimo_bullo but wouldn't play at all in fcpx. Lowered AQ to 2 and works perfect so far. Will keep testing...
  • @alcomposer Don't make fun of Peter Jackson's "Bad Taste." There are plenty of fans out there, myself included, though my favorite early film of his is still "Meet The Feebles." I'd still rather watch either of those over some of his newer work.
  • Have found stable settings using @henryO settings, GOP 3 and AQ3. Seems to work pretty good so far and look good too. Clip is 109mpbs! and even at iso 3200 it looks pretty good. Will continue testing these settings in different types of scenes to see how they go. So far so good.
  • @awaterman - Do you see a big image or bitrate difference between AQ 3 and 4?
  • @cosimo_bullo - Not really, the AQ4 bitrate was around 111mpbs and AQ3 around 109mpbs. Will need to do some better testing tomorrow involving more detailed scenes, so will see how that goes. But like i said, with the AQ4, image wasn't stable at all at GOP 3 or 6, so settled with AQ3 at GOP 3, seems to work best
  • Nice self promotion... :P
    I too am interested in higher quality 60p video :D
  • i might be a bitrate junkie at this point..just for kicks
    154mbs_6gop_autoiso.jpg
    1272 x 681 - 328K
  • @ivan858 - What settings did you use and how did the footage look?