Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 4
  • 586 Replies sorted by
  • @Raysito22 It seems like the camera understands the sdxc cards as FAT32 even though they are exFAT. Most likely there is something more in play than the file system only, but I don't know enough to say what that would be.

Mind, I did a complete erase in disk utility / mac to change my sandisk 16gb into exFAT.

• @jfro, @RRRR, @balazer, changing sdhc cards to exFat using windows utility is useless. And the SD tool doesn't do it neither. But, as far as my knowledge goes, the biggest difference between those 2 cards, is the file system. What's strange too, is that, while GH2 is compatible with SDXC cards, which are all exFat (it's part of the specification), it doesn't record bigger than 4gig files (which is kind of the things exFat is made for).

I guess we should be talking about this in the Extreme Pro post. Anyway, I might be wrong, it was my guess as this has been the first reliable, fast SDXC card. So if it's not the X what's making the difference, I truely don't know. Vitaly or DW might tell us something to understand better what's up with these cards.

Cheers.

• V5 is ok but 720/60p sometimes dons't work about card speed limit , today i want to solve it with V7 , come another problem ...

• this is my first post ~ (my english is bad)

I use Quantum v7 on my GH2 , it's work , but after shot any video (all type) , i can't playback any video on my gh2

but when i restart off/on the power , i can play it ! Anybady can help me to solve ? Thanks!

sdcard is sandisk extrame pro 95mb/s

• oops my bad... spanning does work in 24L. i had the mistake of loading the the files individually in clipwrap, i should have dropped the entire avchd folder. :) but another thing, it stops recording after 10 minutes.

• Regarding V7, I'm using a Transcend 32Gb Class 10 card and I would like to report that spanning does not work even for 24L setting.

• @balazer - exFAT doesn't seem to be the reason.. at least not the sole reason. I did a test today, formatting a 16gb 30mb/s sandisk to exFAT - had to reformat it in the camera and after it was read as a FAT32.. I did a spanning test with it aswell and there was no success. (just like jfro's experience).

I did not expect it to work, because then there would have been no need for spanning at all on the 95mb/s cards. (exFAT has no file size limit) Had to try it out, anyway! :)

• I had issues with V7 on my Sandisk 32g 10 cards. I'm sure it may have been posted somewhere and I missed it, but I couldn't get further than 10 minutes clips.

• @sohus, Seaquake has been stable on my 32gb transcend class 10. It spanned on H setting the other night on fireworks ISO 2500, but the average bitrate there was 80 mbit as it was mostly black. But its perfectly stable on mine even in the most complex of scenes with max bitrate.

Tried out new Quantum V7, it's perfectly fine on my card.

• @Raysito22, I don't think anyone can say with certainty that the exFAT filesystem is the reason the 64-GB 95 MB/sec SanDisk card spans at the highest recording bit rates. It might just be a faster card.

• Shot some with quantum 7 today.. Spanning did not work in L on a sandisk 16Gb 30mb/s at first, after an in-camera format I tried again (low intensity scene) and then It kept going.. (I didn't let it record the whole card). I wouldn't hold my breath for it to span in a scene that pushes it, though. It seems like it's it's just on the edge of what the card is capable of.

• Mission Impossible 4 Spoof made with Quantum V6

• @Raysito22 I'd be interested to know if you take a exFat 64GB Extreme Pro card, stick it in a GH2 if it read/writes to the card. If not and you have to format the card in the GH2, take the card and check and see if it's still exFat or now a Fat32 format.

I just tried formatting an old card into exFat and when I put it into the GH2 it made me format it and then it was back to fat32, so I'm just curious if there's something I don't understand about formatting storage.

• @Zaven13 Thanks for the report mate. I need to look a little bit further into what is making the span fail between seaquake and Quantum. Give me a few days.

• @koli, appart from what WhiteRabbit said, I can confirm 32GB 95MB/s will not span, as it's my main card. Though it has no trouble with Driftwood's latest Quantum v7, obviously up to 4 mins. For short films, it's perfect and very reliable to use with actual and future hack patches. It's as reliable as the 64 GB for everthing, but if you look for spanning, look no other than the 64 GB version.

It uses exFat instead of Fat32 which is the main reason for it being capable of spanning. Read on Spanish distributor's page. All other versions still are Fat32.

Hope it helps.

• @driftwood It seems that it cannot be easily applied like AQ4 in AQ2 although I applied your bit rate settings to my "megaMAQ2" patch in response to your request. Even if it compares in the current halfway state, since frame size is completely different, it is meaningless. I need the time for trying many things. :-)

megaMAQ2_BRS_TEST_ISO12800_sp.JPG
    1296 x 634 - 192K
    megaMAQ2_room_ISO800_BRS_TEST.jpg
    1349 x 847 - 226K
  • This is an ISO3200 sample of my latest "megaMAQ2".

megaMAQ2_night_3200_sp.JPG
    1295 x 633 - 186K
    megaMAQ2_night_3200_i_ey.JPG
    1266 x 967 - 333K
  • @Driftwood In my opinion, Quantum V7 is the best Driftwood's patch in 24 H mode. This is that I'm guess, after some tests that I did last weekend in real world.

• @Zaven13 file number exceed error happens when there is something in the file system that is off. It is usually helped by a format / flash and it does happen to other than sdxc cards.

• @driftwood OK, I will do. :-) However, since I think that 24L does not not much have a meaning compared since it is ignored until now with my patches, comparison of 24H becomes main.

• @driftwood tested 24L, seemed to work, but no playback! that's a must.

• @driftwood Here are some results of my testing with SeaQuake and Quantum V7. I had reported in earlier tests using Seaquake that I was able to span both with 24H at 160/166 mb/s and 24L which I had changed to 100mbs successfully on a Transcend 64GB SDXC class 10 card but span failed on Sandisk 32GB Extreme HD 30mb/s. During this test Seaquake was at AQ3. later I changed Seaquake to AQ4 and did some additional test on Saturday. Spanning failed on both cards. Important to note that I never experienced the "CANNOT RECORD. FILE NUMBER EXCEED LIMIT" error. Yesterday, I loaded Quantum 7 and did some testing. Spanning failed on both cards. QV7 is at AQ4. I also experienced the file number exceed limit message above for the first time on my 64GB SDXC card but not the sandisk 32GB extreme. Then I came home and I changed the AQ of QV7 from 4 to 3. I did some additional testing by setting the camera on a tripod and zooming on the 55" TV screen. This time 24H at 147mb/s spanned but stopped after 2 spans on my 64GB SDXC card. However, the file number exceed error message happened again. So just to isolate whether this is Quantum related problem or not, I reloaded the SeaQuake AQ3 patch and formatted my Transcend 64GB SDXC card. After further testing, both 24H and 24L spanned 5 times with no problem before I stopped them. By the way, the file number exceed limit error above did NOT happen again. It appears to me that the file number exceed error only occurs with 64GB SDXC file formats. Note: I only use driftwood GOP1 Intra patches for 24p. I use longer GOPs for 1080i and 720p60. I hope this helps.

• i'll test...any chance you can combine your v3 with v7? i really liked the 24p from the v3

• @bkmcwd Hmmm... that's an interesting result. Can you upload a few GOP3 tests for H and L setting using the Quantum settings and two of your current own settings? Thanks mate

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions