Personal View site logo
Apple making their own swamp with new MacOS
  • 83 Replies sorted by
  • According to a new research note from analyst Ming-chi Kuo, Apple is planning to release “several” ARM-based Macs in 2021 in both laptop and desktop form factors.

Kuo believes that switching to ARM will allow Apple to reduce its processor costs by 40 to 60 percent while gaining more flexibility over its hardware lineup.

• New update - present rumors that we'll see 1-2 models in 2020 already.

I think this exact leak is a bluff from Apple side, as situation with smartphone and tablets is very bad.

• Well, that is true. I'm an old idiot - too locked in to the UI.

• @rockroadpix

Well, we just need smart guys to do next FCP X :-)

All else is not so valuable.

Plus for now Hackintoshes are still options.

• Looks like I am stuck with my current model until I die then...

• Small addition from my own source.

New MacOS aka "iOS notebook edition" will fully shut down 3rd party application install outside the Apple app store. So notebooks will match their smartphones and tablets.

Also, my source told that all major chips will be even better protected and will have flashed unique crypto identifiers so you won't be able to repair anything or replace any big chip.

Screen, battery and other parts will be also crypto protected and replicable only in authorized center.

New Apple notebooks design are made to specially fully prevent any replacements or repair.

• Rumors of an ARM-based Mac or MacBook have surfaced in a while, with the general theme of Apple moving away from its reliance on Intel Core processors in favor of its own silicon. According to TF Securities' Ming-Chi Kuo, this could happen sooner than people may think.

In a note to investors seen by AppleInsider, Kuo forecasts that Apple will be using a 5-nanometer process at the core of its new products 12 to 18 months' time. As part of this, Kuo believes there will be a "new 1H21 Mac equipped with the own-design processor."

Intel is done.

• Richard thinks Apple (AAPL) could switch to an internally designed PC processor for notebooks in the second half.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/intel-stock-has-rocketed-heres-why-it-might-be-time-to-sell-51580149283

Rumors start to spread that Apple is being ripped apart, as engineers demand move to Ryzen mobile chips (Apple has special group working on this), and all top managers and old guys insist on keeping original plan moving to proprietary ARM (that is consumer oriented can't compete with Ryzens). Going the way of their own CPU allows Apple to get $200-300 more from each notebook as mobile chips are extremely profitable for both Intel and AMD.