Personal View site logo
Sony A6300 4K 100mbit 14 stops DR little monster, official topic
  • 507 Replies sorted by
  • the handheld "test" with that long lens is just useless. If you know that RS is an issue you have to avoid stirring like a bowl of a cake mixture.

• I assume it is the rolling shutter, but I find the last video to have so much jello as to be almost sickness inducing. It looks like you would never want to pan using the A6300? I'm assuming the weird warping is due to the rolling shutter issue with this camera?

• AF tests

• a6300 under a drone, that's what I want also. Not too bad

• @Vitaliy "May be he is very good at measurement but does not know a thing about image processing and AA filters? Especially at the time when image processing and AA filters can be main reason for performance difference?"

I once saw a paper from him regarding the Sony F3 and thought his comment that there is no AA filter at all was irony. Maybe it wasn't …

And Aria is right that he is very video metric – after all the BBC is his employer.

• I heard rumors about a a6400 with active cooling

• At NAB Sony will show third party mini cage with cooling for A6300 that completely solves overheating issues.

• He just does his testing from a purely Video centric point of view as if these were true video cameras and not dual purpose hybrids. So it comes across as idiotic to a reader that does realize why these DSLR/DSLM cameras don't have AA filters designed for video. For his very strict technical purposes tho that is immaterial.

First part is not related to photo side at all.

And AA stuff must be written completely opposite, not regarding any photo or video, but just from technical side.

• thanks for the info @Manu4Vendetta !

I used the kitlens 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS, iso 2000, f5, shutter 1/50. And jpeg fine compression. (normal I would use raw and a better lens, but I was on a holiday and had only this little lens with me. Very handy)

tower.jpg
    6000 x 4000 - 1M
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev, I could be wrong but from my reading of his reviews in the past he seems to take a very technical VIDEO centric approach to reviewing every camera, including photo cameras that happen to have video capability. So it seems to me that he doesn't take into account the intent of the camera being Photo first and video second.

He just does his testing from a purely Video centric point of view as if these were true video cameras and not dual purpose hybrids. So it comes across as idiotic to a reader that does realize why these DSLR/DSLM cameras don't have AA filters designed for video. For his very strict technical purposes tho that is immaterial.

• here's his white papers from bbc

This one I know. I just do not get statement I talked above.

May be he is very good at measurement but does not know a thing about image processing and AA filters? Especially at the time when image processing and AA filters can be main reason for performance difference?

• Alan Roberts is really tests guru?

here's his white papers from bbc -

https://tech.ebu.ch/camtest/CamTestReports01

• Alan Roberts is really tests guru?

I mean that statement like "simple algorithm, probably linear or cubic interpolation". First, for images only bilinear or bicubic algorithms are used (as they are not one dimensional). Bicubic algorithm is among best for downsizing, bilinear also is quite good if done properly. Most of issues he observe comes definitely from much simpler approach. Make big doubt about qualification.

then discovered that there is no 4K optimised optical low pass filter in front of the sensor

And he expected what exactly? For photo camera having AA filter killing actual resolutions to 4K? Seriously?

• newshooter test in EBU lab: Surprising results ‘not suitable for use in general broadcasting’

He suspected that “the down-scaling from 3840×2160 to HD has used a simple algorithm, probably linear or cubic interpolation.” Simply put, the HD images from the camera are not really suitable for broadcast.

Next, Alan examined the UHD 4K record mode. Here things started a little better. He noted that “the camera is resolving detail all the way up to the limits (of UHD resolution)”, but then discovered that there is no 4K optimised optical low pass filter in front of the sensor and as a result aliasing occurs. He said: “Detail at higher frequencies is reaching the sensor and causing more out-of-band aliasing.”

http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/03/31/newsshooter-sony-a6300-ebu-lab-test-by-alan-roberts-surprising-results-not-suitable-for-use-in-general-broadcasting/

• @conscius; The description of video says:

'Color corrected and graded footage captured with the Sony α6300 in S-Log2 and S-Log3 at 1920x1080 with 50Mbps. Graded in DaVinci Resolve. We used EF lenses with a Metabones adapter: Canon 24-105mm F/4 and Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 DG HSM II. We only had the Alpha 6300 for a couple of hours so we can't say much about the camera yet.'

• Those two videos made me realize how great this little camera is.. @ 8bit it's still an amazing camera an produces amazing imagery.