Personal View site logo
18-35mm F1.8 Sigma DC zoom lens
  • 335 Replies sorted by
  • Shot my first project with this lens tonight... fan-flippin-tastic. I got the custom gears from Sean on eBay as well. Great stuff. Shooting a wedding on Saturday as well. Can't wait to use it for that. Super sharp, great look. I really do hope they make another lens similar to this in a longer focal length range, but faster than the f4 on the 24-105. I'd love to have this quality in a 24-70 or similar.

• Mine will be here today. What is "custom gears from Sean"?

• Does the Sigma USB Dock do anything if you are only using the Sigma 18-35 lens fully manually with an adapter (on GH2)? Is it just for improving auto-focus operation?

• A seamless follow focus gear that slides onto the focus ring.

• Hi guys, I have this sigma lens. I recently went to my local camera store to try it out on the nikon d750. The lens does not focus in liveview mode but it focuses through the viewfinder just fine. I check if there's a firmware update for the lens but I didn't see anything. Anyone come across the problem before?

• @matt_gh2:

It´s only for the AF correction ^^.
    (So not necessary with only MF operation.)

@HillTop1:

Well - The D750 is brand new. Maybe the 18-35mm needs an upgrade.
    (It was the same with the D5300 for example.
    And it took just a few days until the update came out. So stay tuned ^^.)

LG

• @Tscheckoff Thanks - good info.

• Morning all, I have the voigtlander 25mm f.095 lens and was wondering on peoples thoughts on the value of me getting the sigma when I already have the voigtlander?. Obviously the sigma covers a wide focal range whereas the voigt only is at 25mm, but thats the focal length I tend to go to on the gh4 so I dont know if I would see much advantage having a bit more focal leg room either side of the 25mm?

• @lmackreath

You will definitely start to use the other focal lengths. The sigma shines most when you also have a speedbooster since it becomes a 13-35mm/f1.3-1.8. All focal lengths VERY sharp, even wide open.

It is a more clinical look compared to the voigt. Less character. Having said that, it is a pleasing look with great colors and I really love the close focus. You can do macro-ish closeups at 13mm with shallow depth of field and smooth bokeh. That is an entire category of shooting that is a totally different look than what the voigt offers at 25mm.

BTW, I have the slr magic 25mm f0.95. I didn't get rid of it after getting the sigma, but use it way less often. The SLR has more character which can be nice on the GH sensors, and it is sharp wide open which is nice in available low light. The voigt is not so great wide open in comparison, but takes over after stopping down a bit.

Lastly, whenever I use the SLR Magic handheld, I am relieved by the smaller footprint. The Sigma is a tank, especially with a speedbooster.

For pro work on sticks, the sigma is simply a much more versatile lens than the voigt. As many have said, it is multiple primes in one lens.

O

• Another question, any comparisons between getting this sigma and the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM with the speedbooster xl which would give a better focal range than the 18-35 and also offer stabilisation on the gh4?

• Wouldn't the focal range on the sigma 18-35 with speed booster actually be around 12-22 not 13-35?

• I have the original speedbooster, thus: .74 x 18= 13.3, but yes, the newer one is .64 x 18= 11.52

You also need a regular nikon G to m43 or Ef to m43 adapter so that you get the full long end as well. You want both, speedboosted and regular. The non-boosted are not nearly as expensive, although not cheap on the EF side.

Image stab is great and highly recommended, but sigma's is not great. Nothing like Canon's IS which is great. Also, the Art series of lenses are in a very different class than previous sigma zooms. The whole "mutliple primes in one zoom lens" thing does not apply to older sigma zooms. They are fine, but not amazing.

• I did have the sigma 18-35 with speedbooster about 3 years ago with my old bmpcc but it was a tank and again still no image stabilisation. I do a lot of run and gun stuff so like travel light and have stabilisation. I have the Lumix 14-140 lens too but it's very slow, maybe get the LUMIX 12-35 but the image front the Lumix lenses is a bit too sharp and clinical for my likings..

• In that case, here is what I recommend:

• I am planning on buying this lens but I am not sure which mount version I should get for my GH2. Can someone confirm my understandings from below.

Using Sigma 18-35mm Canon EF mount with Metabones Speedbooster/Adapter you can't change aperture electronically nor physical?

Using Sigma 18-35mm Nikon G mount with Metabones Speedbooster/Adapter you can change aperture physically on the adapter?

• sorry for upping the thread but need an answer to sigma mount with speed booster on gh2

• Not sure myself, but maybe try calling Metabones customer service 800 number

• @testering

Yes, manual control with Nikon G. Electronic control with Canon Ef.

I own the Nikon G version. I like having the smooth control. Having said that, the image stab on Canon L glass is amazing, and works really well with the Ef version of the adaptor. Can't have both worlds!

• thanks for your replies.

@_OZ, yes manual control with Nikon G and electronic control with Canon Ef mount. But am I able to electronically control Sigma 18-35 Canon Ef mount with Canon Ef to MFT Metabones Speedbooster on my Panasonic GH2? Everyone somehow recommends the Nikon version, I couldn't realize why yet.

• There is at least one model that explicitly is mentioned here as compatible:

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/mb_spef-m43-bm2

You should contact MB directly to ask about the other models, Ultra, etc.

The reason people suggest Nikon is because of the manual aperture control. That's more video friendly.

• According to Metabones support, Canon EF to MFT XL 0.64 speedbooster works on GH2, but only in video mode. So picture mode doesn't work. How would that apply to this Sigma 18-35mm lens if combined with the Metabones Speedboster XL 0.64 and GH2. Would there be more vignetting on the edges since this Speedbooster makes the lens wider than the Ultra model 0.71. Did anyone try this combination or seen it before?

• Definitely search this site because someone did that test and they talked about the results (might have been .71, but I'd do search)

• Sony a6500 + Sigma 18-35