Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
18-35mm F1.8 Sigma DC zoom lens
  • 335 Replies sorted by
  • @PhilMyself it looks huge ))

P1370909.jpg
    1000 x 638 - 164K
    P1370913.jpg
    1000 x 644 - 165K
  • Just nab one of these, super exited specially as I have a gig coming up next weekend. Next, get the speedbooster when it comes back to stock. Maybe someone has mentioned before but what lens will you match this with?

• ala_img thank you very much for the pictures ! Sure, it's looks big. My concerns are that the SB hold the lens well and that manual focusing, zooming operation doesn't make it move.

• @PhilMyself It holds very tight. Better than other adapters i used before. Of Course it has some moving, but you need to rotate lens body to feel it, not focusing ring, and use some force.

• Thanks again for your comment and your movies. Really helpful !

• Very keen on this sigma speedbooster combo for my bmpcc.. Anyone think it's size on the bmpcc will be an issue when mounting on a manfrotto monopod in regards to weight distribution?

As for comparative results from the Popular Photography tests, it’s difficult to find glass to contrast it with, since there’s no other zoom this fast. Of all recently tested zooms, the Pentax offers our sole point of comparison. Both lenses produced Excellent-range SQF numbers indicating outstanding sharpness and contrast. The Sigma is slightly sharper at the tele end, while the Pentax is slightly sharper in the mid-range focal lengths.

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2013/11/lens-test-sigma-18-35mm-f18-dc-hsm

sony39.jpg
    403 x 398 - 64K
    sony40.jpg
    694 x 464 - 64K
  • @lmackreath your Pocket will make a nice rear lens cap :-)

Weight distribution will be very front heavy if flying naked. It'll be ok, but I'd be looking to mount at the rear of any plate to keep it to the rear.

• So this lens on the pocket on a manfrotto monopod?.. I am looking to use this for wedding videography and although I need the stabilisation I also want the flexibility of a monopod.. Is this the right lens or should I get something smaller like the sigma 17-50 2.8 with speedbooster?. Still fast enough and covers a bigger range?

• Anyone used the Nikon mount version with the cheaper ($<30) m43 to nikon adapters w/aperture ring available at amazon?

• Picked up a Nikon mount version and am using it on a GH3 with Novaflex adapter. Will post a vid soon, but here are some initial thoughts:

1. Incredible close focus distance, especially at 35mm. Seriously, we're talking 4 inches or something like that from the front element. I don't hear this aspect mentioned that much, so I thought I'd bring it up here.

2. Huge, heavy, unwieldy. I'm used to my SLR Magic 25mm, which is not exactly light. The sigma is a monster in comparison. I don't enjoy it nearly as much for handheld stuff. I see this as lens to use on a rig, either shoulder or on sticks. Also, I don't trust the gh3 mount+adapter combination over the long haul, so a lens support is probably a good idea.

3. Focus ring is very smooth, but if you're coming from great manual glass, it still leaves you wanting a bit more throw and fine control. Also as mentioned, definitely not parfocal.

4. As everyone already mentioned, it's very sharp.

5. With the novaflex, it focuses passed infinity...WAY passed infinity. Never experienced a lens going so far passed infinity. Ironically, the very expensive Novaflex has noticeable play where it connects to the lens. My $20 F to MFT adapter off ebay has zero play. The Novaflex is a rental though, so maybe it's been used and abused?

6. Colors look very natural and neutral to my eyes. Definitely less character than my SLR Magic, but still very pleasing. Bokeh is beautiful. Very smooth.

Short vid demonstrating macro qualities coming soon.

Let me know if you want any specific types of tests. I'll do my best.

_OZ

• I ordered this lens and am very excited about it, but I am a bit confused as to why people keep saying it's the fastest zoom lens. That isn't true. There are plenty of F1.7 and even F1.2 zoom lenses for smaller sensors. This is the first F1.8 zoom lens for APS-C, which is cool, but it's by no means the fastest zoom lens out there.

Here's a question: those that ordered from B&H recently, what was your wait time? Has anyone received a Nikon mount copy from B&H yet?

• @_OZ:

About the Novoflex: The older version (with the fine "teethed" blue aperture ring) is quite bad. The newer model (with the raw teeth - or let´s call them grooves) is way better. Not (that much) play in the aperture ring any more, better fit all in all AND at least my model had less "over the infinity point" focusing.

• @Tscheckoff: I am renting the newer version with the wider teeth.

• Now that a BMPCC specific Speedbooster is coming, it'll really be the fastest wide zoom.

But it's true there are zooms for 2/3" with constant 1.2 speed out there, like the Computar 12.5 to 75.

• I have a tokina 12.5-75 f1.2, no contrast at all, aberation, lovable lens but not professional

• I really waiting for nikon upgrade since d70s as Im with Panasonic Gh1 Gh1 Gh3 now and this lens is dream came throw for me for Nikon. Can someone tell me please how Autofocus of this Sigma works with nikon d5300 in video and photography?

• Nikon upgrade?

• Ive been waiting long time for Nikon in terms of video (still not there yet) Wanted to get one for pictures and video but I will not talk about Nikon here. Id like to get d5300 and sigma 18-35 now IF they work together well. I know there where issues before. I can't find any info since Sigma update (about AF in stills and not at all about AF i video) Test it in a shop its not the option for me :)

• I've seen differing reports of the actual T-stop measurement of the sigma 18-35, anywhere from T1.8 to T2.8. Is there any conclusive data on this?

• I tested this lens against 3 Rokinon cine primes and I had to stop each Rok down to t2.2 to get the same exposure as the sigma at f1.8

• Thanks @vicharris. So its not a terrible loss, then. I guess with the speedbooster then that puts it around the same light capability as an F1.4 prime, correct?

Edit: I see ala_img spoke about this in nov.

• Well, I personally don't think the Roks are usable till 2.4-2.8ish and the sigma is better at f1.8 than the Roks are at 2.8.

• I just almost exclusively used the Sigma 18-35 on a 3 day shoot and it performed very very well. It's one of the best purchases I've made in the film industry.