Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
18-35mm F1.8 Sigma DC zoom lens
  • 335 Replies sorted by
  • @stylz, it's a stills lens. 35 mm longest focal length at f1.8...stills shooters aren't going to need OIS. We're spoiled by Panny lenses having OIS as their secondary motive is video.

• @Gerondo, I like. What focal length, you know? Do it vignette at all on the GH3, if so at what focal length?

• @itimjim no vignette in video, for me its a video lens, sharp low light beast for my steadicam or a steadyHand :P

• @starios. For me it's a video lens too. But...what I'm trying to say is that it isn't 'manufactured' as a video lens. Hence don't be disappointed that it's not got OIS and other such cine delights. Hell, an aperture ring would have been nicer than OIS :D

• @Gerondo
    Thanks for posting. Looks good!

If you get around to it, I'd love to see some video tests, both in well-lit situ as well as low light tests.

No expectations, just a wish. ; )

• @_OZ Here two small samples of the speed booster and Sigma 18-35 with GH3: both in low light with wide open aperture. All settings dialed down to -5. No sharpening or other post. Recorded at 50p and conformed to 23.97

• @Gerondo Could you do a focus pull @ 18mm and 35mm to check lens breathing?

• @oscillian Sure, tomorrow I will post some more

• @oscillian Breathing test Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 with Speed Booster in the extreme ends: 18mm and 35mm. Aperture wide open. Distance between door in front and computer screen in the back is 7,5 meters

• Very impressive at 35mm. Hard to judge at 18, since there's not much detail on the wall.

Quite some distortion at 18, but then a Panny 12mm has even more on a BMPCC.

• Im wonder if anyone seen This lens results of Autofocusing in video on Nikon cameras?

• This lens really is magical in many ways. That breathing test is impressive to say the least.

• Tomorrow i finally have the Nikon Mount version of this lens after a long search and wait till the product finally was in stock again.

I have ordered the Nikon G speedbooster as wel, which will be delivered next week. For now i can use a standard Nikon G to MFT adapter. If anyone is interested i can post some footage of this lens on the regular adapter tomorrow.

• @Gerondo Fantastic! This is cinema glass quality :) Almost no breathing, parfocal, constant aperture and with the speed booster you get declicked aperture?

How is the focus travel? It looks like you could pull rather smoothly.

• @oscillian Focus is smooth enough. Not so smooth as Voigt, but comfortable anyway. I am just got my super combo - Sigma+Speedbooster+LCW fader. I am happy about it, but LCW is crap, Polaroid fader much better. Today i am already make some work with it, but have no rights to show it for you. But i have some quick street frames, near post office where i recieved this combo. I will upload it soon.

• @ala_img Great to know :) How long travel to do a full focus turn from infinity to up close? Half barrel? Quarter?

• @oscillian Full focus is about quarter (90 degrees), and it can focusing very close, almost like macro lens.

• This is just quick shaky frames. All frames was taken with wide open aperture on gh3. pass: PV

• That's it, my Voigtlanders are going on eBay. Love the flares :)

• @ala_img Great flares! It looks like a killer combination!

• RAW photo sharpness > Sigma 18-35mm with Speed booster and GH3 > 400% , 100% and actual photo.

boot-400%.jpg
    1603 x 1198 - 174K
    boot-100%.jpg
    1590 x 1149 - 241K
    boot-actual-picture.jpg
    1586 x 1162 - 239K
  • Real max aperture of Sigma 18-35mm + speedbooster is about 1.4. I am check it. It is just slightly lighter then Samyang 85mm at 1.4, and same as Panaleica 25mm at 1.4