Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @rlima sorry, I've not noticed the previous post.

• @igorek7 again? nice one-shot test and conclusions but not the ten commandments....

• Well, I wouldn't be so strict regarding Panny zooms. The 12-35mm is still a very useful lens on it, due to switchable IS, constant aperture and the zoom range. Yes, there is distortion at 12mm, but it disappears more or less until 16mm. CA is minimal, vignetting tolerable.

• I agree with all your points @rsquires

• @luxis Noise reduction dialed down, too, but contrast and saturation at 0 - maybe stupid that I didn't dial it down for this shoot (didn't think about it). I normally leave them at 0 because I grade with Filmconvert, and Filmconvert's GH2 Smooth profile is calibrated on those two color settings.

• @rlima thanks for that test.

I think we all sit far too near our screens, and pixel peep too much. In terms of sharpening I think people are right in that the GH2 does produce a very nice detailed image. But in my opinion, DR is much more desirable than sharpness for me. You can always sharpen something like this up but I think it has a very silky feel, has nice detail in the shadows and feels less like video.

Only lense I didn't like was the Canon and that was because the image was a bit milky. In general I thought it all looked very good. Just wish this orb issue was detailed so we know how long to wait. In terms of the Panny leaving me unimpressed, well I think it looks pretty bloody good. Yes slightly characterless, but for a lot of stuff that's probably what you want.

• @cantsin thanks for the the two screengrabs. In this case, the pocket is way better in DR then the cooked, over-sharpened image of our otherwise beloved camera. But is this a surprise;) Just out of curiosity though, "Smooth with sharpening dialed down on the GH2" - so the other setting were all default( 0 value and not all of them at -2)? This usually does make a noticeable difference in the Gh2.

• Thought the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 looked the best. Again the Panny zoom leaves me unimpressed. The Oly 75mm looks to be a awesome lens for stills but for video, could it be too sharp?

• @rlima well speak of the devil, an example with the Panny Leica 25mm. Can't really tell from the video how must distortion there is because it's a decently static shot, but it's an example none the less.

• BMPCC with various lenses... (not my vid)

• @Cid, In those productions they use all kinds of cameras including stock footage from online sources. Good point though. Orbs have been there, we were not looking for them.

• Guys, now I´m very confused: last night I´ve watched "The Insider", by Michael Mann and saw those white orbs in a few shots. Mostly at night and one in a hard sun with an airplane turning and reflecting too much sunlight. And it eas shot in 35mm!!!

• Okay, here's a fast grade of the BMPCC, mostly bringing up the shadows, to show what's there, with a fair amount of sharpening.

Is it less sharp or is the sharpening any more objectionable than that of the GH2 tif? Is it plausible to argue, based on this comparison, that the GH2 resolves more detail than the BMPCC?

Just asking.

BMPCC2M.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • re. GH2 resolution, don't forget that it is doing lens distortion correction on native lenses. That looses you some of the oversampled resolution right there. Then it's not doing a high quality downsampling (like Photoshop does), but more simplistic pixel binning. And we also have to consider the quality of its pixels (pixel density etc) and sensor generation. It just may not be as sharp in general as a newer/different sensor (pixel for pixel).

• @rsquires Check out the reviews and test measurements of MFT lenses on photozone.de . They meticulously document the native barrel distortion of each lens.

• @nomad

Making the stuff look better than a GH2 means using the better gradation of subtle color transitions when grading, not sharpening the hell out of it.

I'm well aware of that. But the sharpening on the GH2, from the lumix lenses and the camera itself, is evidently pleasing to a lot of people and deemed a source of superiority over other cameras. If that's how we're judging the footage -- artificial sharpening, rather than actual resolution -- then all footage needs equivalent sharpening, if we're comparing them.

I wouldn't choose that measure myself, but that seems to be where the discussion is going.

• @cantsin What's wrong with barrel distortion? I think it's partly the lack if it in modern lenses that makes stuff look rather anodyne and what makes stuff shot with older/manual lenses look way better. Also since the sensor really only sees the middle of the lens I am imagining it won't be as bad as the edge in terms of CA. But that's merely conjecture. Do you have examples of stuff shot with Panny lenses that show the quality drop. I'd be interested to see since I own quite a few Panny lenses and have a Pocket on order

• @MagicMountainMan Be prepared for disappointment, because the PanaLeica 25mm has native barrel distortion that is firmware/software corrected in cameras like the GH2 but not in the Pocket (since it can't pixel-bend a 2MP image without degrading resolution). Besides, 25mm is really too long a focal length on the pocket for anything but tripod use. For handheld/rig-stabilized shooting, 12-14mm is ideal.

• @jrd here are TIFF screengrabs from the gh2 and the pocket test footage, both created with ffmpeg directly from the camera source files. gh2.tif has 8 bit color depth, pocket.tif 16 bit (logically):

gh2, 5.8 MB

pocket, 9.6 MB

• The BMPCC definitely has aliasing and that means false detail. Sharpening will only make that worse.

The GH2 is not free of aliasing, but it's mainly in the luma channel. Hardly any chroma aliasing, which is massive in the BMPCC.

Making the stuff look better than a GH2 means using the better gradation of subtle color transitions when grading, not sharpening the hell out of it.

BTW, my tests can be reproduced by anybody with both cameras at hand and a standard ISO 12233 test chart, which you can download as a vector file at Cornell university for free.

• @BurnetRhoades

Based on experiments with J. Brawley's Prores footage, I'm persuaded I can make anything shot with the BMPCC look better than the equivalent on a GH2, including equal or greater sharpening, if that's the goal.

The only way to find out is to try -- maybe cantsin can provide a few of the original ProRes frames.

• Has there been any footage that's been shot with the PannyLeica 25mm? It's my favorite lens (that I own) on my GH2 and I'd be disappointed if it turns out like crap on the BMPCC... I also have the Panny 14mm but I don't really expect much out of that lens anyway.

• @jrd that's a set of charts and one example with conditions the settings of which haven't been confirmed, fully disclosed or recreated, that I'm aware. Observers also haven't taken into account the difference in performance between filtered and unfiltered imagery put through additional scaling and re-encoding. Even Nomad himself expressed doubts about the conclusion, what I read, and agreed that some of what was seen was false detail.

Results have to be reproduced and all of the factors leading to the conclusion explored before something is a fact. The only fact here is that known signal processing theory precludes the Pocket Camera from resolving more than the GH2 without some mitigating factor destroying the GH2's basic advantage of being supersampled. The rest is a lot of assumptions and desire for an easy one-line answer.

Then you have to account for processing that's going to be necessary on the PC to remove aliasing and moire, that won't have to be performed on GH2 footage and take that all the way to the end. Most of the time you won't need it though, I'm betting, at least not the antialiasing. For now the only conclusion I'm willing to accept is that the extra clean nature of the non-compressed footage carries a higher perceived level of sharpness in some instances while at the same time provoking comments like "soft" in numerous postings of footage since its release. Something that isn't common at all for the GH2, hacked or otherwise.

edit: and I'm not dogging the PC. I think it's very cool and will come through Blobgate okay. If my GH2 were to break or I'd otherwise need to replace it I would certainly do so with a PC versus a G6 or GH3 or any other DSLR, if I didn't just get a full-size BMCC as replacement.