Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @RRRR

it's been stated many times by BMD on their forum as well as John stating it on this forum and others that the BMCC and BMPCC sensors are different yet are in the same family.

• @Brian202020

Ok. I know they were going with a different manufacturer..

• The more DR you have the easier it is to expose. So generally it would be easier to expose with the black magic camera than most camera. Looking at the last two footage the DR doesn't look that great, but not knowing how it was shot, I expect it is more of a user issue than the camera.

• One question I would like to know, is if someone has seen some professional test with stouffer chart confirming the DR of the BMC and BMCC. Until now it has been stated by BM, but I did not see any independent test.

• You may have seen my test with underexposed color charts in this thread. DSC charts are standardized, so you can calculate the number of stops. Sorry, no Stouffer (or, even better, Xyla) here. Judging the lower end for 'acceptable' noise is always a bit subjective, but yes, I'd rate it at 13.

Problem with over-exposure is this: every electronic camera clips hard, and you'd always want to avoid that for scene objects which are important. So you'd expose just as far to the highlights as possible, to stay away from the noise floor. That's the ETTR rule. If you want to pull back some clouds in a pretty sky, it's no problem with this camera. We've all seen it with the BMCC, and it should be no issue with the pocket either.

BUT: A direct beam into the camera at night or a reflection of the sun on chrome or glass can be so strong that you'd want to over-expose it not to sacrifice too much in the shadows (even with 13 stops). In such a situation the "orbs" are a serious problem. In particular for this camera! Who is shooting mainly under controlled lighting has that much gear around, he/she doesn't care if it's a heavier BMCC without the issue. Those who'd care to get a BMPCC would be doc shooters who'd like to be covered in tricky hi-con situations they can't influence. So, if it's a general issue with the BMPCC, that's not good at all!

• @nomad Pretty much nailed. I don't understand how that point of view and rational statement is so hard for people to wrap their head around? I guess most don't wasn't to believe this is a bad issue for this particular camera.

• And this proves the validity (for BM) of BM's often criticized policy of avoiding a mass recall by releasing only a small batch of test cameras before committing to mass production. We are the beta test. HMMMM

• @nomad, You just summarized a full semester of " Exposure Control " being taught in film schools.

• I wonder if expectations here aren't a bit excessive. There is no "professional" market for a $995 motion picture camera. Those actually engaged in for-profit moviemaking, industrial, commercial or feature, aren't looking for a $995 camera. A gainfully employed professional might buy it, for any number of reasons, but wouldn't expect to rely on it.

So who desperately wants this camera? From all appearances, it's either hobbyists or people not gainfully making movies but who dream of doing so on the cheap. And if you demand to work on the cheap, you live with a host of limitations, including orbs.

Does this mean that BM can't or shouldn't fix it? No. But, to coin a phrase, you get what you pay for. Bringing professional standards to amateur-priced technology may not make a whole lot of sense.

• @jrd That's an extremely myopic view of what a "professional" wants out of a camera, don't you think? As nomad just said, run and gun documentary shooters are a likely market. They're likely to love having a camera roughly the size and weight of a GX1, but that shoots high-quality video.
    Those orbs are not a reasonable limitation that should be expected - either by a pro or an amateur. There are lots of inexpensive cameras already on the market for a lot less money which aren't afflicted by orb problems.

• @jrd I strongly disagree, maybe you are right that "professionals" will not rely on this camera only, however that is no excuse to either deliberately cripple a camera like Panasonic and Nikon are doing this at times, nor is it an excuse to have serious unnecessary flaws in your technology; this regardless of who the user is.

Why to exclude amateurs from professional technical standards if the technology is available and can be commercialized, it contributes to general progress and this can be seen in many globalized fields.

It does not make the amateur a professional, but it often contributes to having more fun.

• There are lots of inexpensive cameras already on the market for a lot less money which aren't afflicted by orb problems.

But none of them deliver 13-stops and 10-bit Prores files. If users demand orb-less reliability and convenience, there are plenty of choices from the big manufacturers, but they won't get what BMPCC offers. My only point is, at these prices, there always be compromises and trade-offs, until the technology reaches the next plateau, at which time folks will have new demands for cheap technology.

Why exclude amateurs from professional technical standards if the technology is available and can be commercialized, it contributes to general progress and can be seen in many globalized fields.

There's no exclusion going on. But, as we're seeing, $995 may be too low a threshold price to deliver professional technology and broad availability, at least not without some compromises. Given the march of progress, that price may seem reasonable in 12-months, but it could be 12 months before the BMPCC is shipping in quantity.

• You guys all seem to be missing the point in my opinion. ITS A CINEMA CAMERA...that for me means....IDK CINEMA not shooting in ambient "uncontrolled" light and filming bushes and yes dare I say "Documentaries"(of course I control light when I shoot those too)...

Point is....."CINEMA CAMERA"---so show me theatrical story driven footage footage shot in a cinema style with controlled conditions...that's the real test.Even PBs stuff-who I happen to like-- is all ambient light running/floating around London's weird spaceship skytram thingy.. I say orbs -Shmorbs... (learn how to expose and shoot) -It sucks that allot of the people that have this camera already dont have any real world experience with creating theatrical productions.

• @Nieuw wait, wait.. the crippling champion is Canon.... no way! Nikon doesn't know how to do it, Canon knows but don't give us and Pany is trying at least....

• Sorry guys but I do not follow you on this. Please d not shoot on the pianist :)

I understand that "Cinema" means controlled light but... it doesn't means that I cannot shot real life scenes. If I need to shoot traffic in night condition should I care that all headlights are shut off?

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/139239#Comment_139239

That frame seems correctly exposed to me. And also a scene like the video with the rotating fans, there's no way to correctly expose them.

PS I shot mainly underwater and Nauticam already produced a BMCC housing and its' preparing a BMPCC housing. Seeing that kind of "white orbs" there's no way to get a decent shot underwater even if you are James Cameron. And James Cameron doesn't buy a BMPCC (probably) :) Seeing that white orbs I'm thinking to my underwater shots with the GH2. In a lot of situation would be impossible to bring home some result, no matter of your skill. It's common underwater that a diver points a light toward you... moreover one of the most common and beautiful shots are purposely done pointing the camera against the sun. There's a tons of tutorial on how to get perfect "sunburst":

http://goo.gl/1SdPOE

Just imagine one of that with the current bmpcc problem.

• @surrender Cinema Camera does not mean BM can ignore anything it wants to, and then claim that a pro would know how to compensate. I am so tired of hearing it is a cinema camera, cinema camera means it is capable of delivering a cinema image when used in a proper rig.

• @LongJohnSilver If you need to shoot traffic in night condition you should do that in a studio and with lower wattage car bulbs, like proper CINEMA MOVIES are shot with CINEMA CAMERAS.

Irony aside.
    I really like the image that comes out of the BMPCC and as a non-pro low-budget filmmaker I'd really want it to be my next upgrade from the lovely GH2. But since in my productions I can control exposure but can't control, for example, traffic lights, this orb issue is kind of problematic.

• It's a $1,000 camera... Let's put that into perspective by examining the prices of cameras I've either owned or co-owned and what I paid for them at the time.

1994 - Nikon F70 35mm still film camera (No video) $1,200 and probably another $5000 in lenses over time. (They break when you drop them off tall rocks onto rocks below... apparently.)

1995 - Sony Handycam (Hi-8 30fps SD video 480i) - $600

2000 - Sony PD150 (miniDV 1/3 inch CCDs [8bit 30fps 480i SD video, ugh]) - $4,000

---- REDROCK M2 adapter kit just to be able to use my Nikon lenses for video - $3000

2007 - Panasonic HVX200 (HD 1/3inch CCDs - 24fps 720p DVCPRO100 8bit) - $6,000 (and then P2 cards were $900 each)

2011 - Panasonic GH2 - (Micro 4/3inch Sensor - 24fps [1080] 60fps[720] AVCHD 8bit) - $995

2013 - Used Red M-X (Mysterium X sensor - 4K R3D 3:1 RAW) - $7,500

You are getting a camera that shoots ProRes AND RAW 1080p and can take nearly any lens, and you're getting it for $400 more than I paid for a Sony Handycam in 1995. STFU and learn to shoot. [edit- sorry didn't realize how awful the orbs were... sheesh, they're bad]

• The level of hysteria over this in just a handful of days is kind of strange.

I imagine most of you wouldn't have bought a DVX100, HVX200, Genesis, F35, or nearly any good CCD based camera for the same price as what a Pocket Cam costs today... with the vertical smear problem and all that every single one of those cameras has/had.

Any bright light in frame creating a vertical line across the entire image is a far worse problem than round highlights... and still each of those cameras have helmed their own motion picture release, with the problem easily spotted throughout the runtime.

Edit: and if you're too new to know what I'm talking about, just google: CCD SMEAR

• @shian that's your argument? lol.

Why are people buying a raw camera? For image quality. And why are they buying a 'pocket' camera? For portability, shooting on the move, or anywhere they suddenly stumble on something interesting.

The one thing it has to deliver is image quality. And being portable, people expect it to shoot natural scenes with that same image quality. Right now you don't get RAW at all, and you get white orbs. It's not rocket science.

• @philiplipetz You're a moron. It DOES mean that. Its not called Black Magic Pocket Videographer Casual Halfwit Camera. ______________ IT MAY BE CHEAP.....but ITS A PRO CAMERA...which means its intended for.....wait for it.... Pros.

@Shian You're just THE man.

• @rlima I do not have experience with Canon cameras so I did not put them on the "deliberately crippled" list. Nikon however fully crippled their 1 series cameras to avoid the use of third party lenses. I am meanwhile using a V1 to test the coverage of old Video, 16mm and super 16 lenses to prepare myself and collect nice glass before the BMPCC eventually arrives (both cameras have an 1" sensor)..... well, I have seldom seen such a consumer unfriendly approach..... manual focus assist and even the metering being fully disabled......

• @shian I understand what you're saying, and I agree. But I don't think it's really a proper comparison considering technology, and our accompanying expectations, are growing exponentially – not in a flat timeline or even a linear rate.

So, this is the beginning, but I think we're not too far from cameras in this price range that should be expected to perform.

• And we're getting nasty. It was only a matter of time :)

• It's obvious, we went on what BM told us. 'Image a little less resolved but otherwise basically identical to BMCC'. People who put their money down expected that.

I won't buy it with the orbs. I shoot almost exclusively natural light, and nighttime. What use is dynamic range if highlights have none? And hey, if you shoot under perfectly controlled lighting conditions, what do you need DR for?