Personal View site logo
25p official topic, aka Don't cry for me Argentina
  • 236 Replies sorted by
  • I have another ques, the 720p50p is in progressive not interlaced. Does that mean its actually 25p?
  • Just wondering, has anyone discovered any decent 1080 50i settings yet? I'm hoping for 1080 rather than upscaling 720...
  • @flyguy - My GH2 is an NTSC model, so the steps I go through are to select the NTSC<>PAL and AVCHD 50P>25P options in PTools, apply the hack, switch the camera over to PAL, and then select AVCHD 720 film mode. At that point it will start shooting 25P; I've confirmed that is so by inspecting with VirtualDub with Viewfields1.2 (both freeware). Streamparser also confirms.

My only suggestion is that if you are starting with a PAL camera, perhaps it somehow works differently? (Seems unlikely.)

Neither 720p50 nor 720p25 are interlaced. Both are frame-based not field based. 50P just has twice as many frames per second. Hope that helps.

• CobyD> yeap that helped! Finally i had a true 720p25p. better than no 25p at all. (: im in PAL country. My Sony Vegas keeps showing me 720p50p, thats why i thought it wasnt working. Streamparser and Adobe Premiere Pro confirms its 25p! Thanks man! (:
  • I saw on the facebook panasonic page (lumix support) a user ranting about the lack of 25p cinema mode :

http://www.facebook.com/Panasonic?sk=app_103744493025213

Maybe a massive flood of messages...
  • wha, wha, wha ...
    P has discriminated (us) PAL users, we need 25p ...
    The P should be put in front of Hague court.
  • Thanks - added my "wah" to Facebook. Bastards!
  • Rage is raising on the pana fb page :)
  • Cry here, maybe someone will listen :-)
    http://getsatisfaction.com/panasonic/topics/25p_cinema_mode

If baby don't cry ...
  • Vitaliy said:
    "GH2 don't have 25p mode amongst sensor setup modes.
    24fps, 50fps, 60fps, 120fps, but no 25fps."

Vitaliy, what about PAL versions of GH2? I know it records at 50i, is there no setup sensors in PAL versions as well?
  • Well after a day of trying to sync up an interview. gh2 24p close up with midshot shot on HDV at 25p(with the good sound) here are my experiences.

I could not make it work in FCP. Tried conforming both to 25p and 24p in Cinema tools and FCP, i tried dropping them on a 25p timeline and i tried pluraleyes. All these methods caused the sync to waver over a 10 minute clip, badly.

So i downloaded the Trial of Premiere Pro, dropped the 25p clip on a 25p timeline, dropped the 24p on top, synched up the start and it stayed synched all the way through. To my ears and eyes it looked fine.

I've been using FCP for almost a decade, but i'm starting to think it might be time to move. (unless we get 25p on the GH2 :-))

Hope this helps someone.
  • I'll be looking forward to Vitali and believe that he still finds a way to include 1080p25 1080p50 or.
    I suggest all to make a financial contribution in favor of Vitali, maybe it's how you can help him!
  • Hi Guys,
    How does the GH2 720p 50P hacked footage compare to the GH1 720p 50p hacked footage? I'm looking for reason to get a GH2. How much of an improvement are the low light capabilities? Cheers, Jon
  • FieldsKit in AE do werry good job turning 50i to 25p.
    Sill extra job in workflow.
  • Panasonic recently mentioned in interview that they'll be coming with firmware update, most probably it'll have 25p, as I understand.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

If/when you start working with 25p pach i can join the striketeam.
  • @Jon2323

It's roughly the same codec-wise (IPPPPPPIPPPPP) when bitrate is turned upp unless you turn on the B-frames for GH2. With B-frames, it's substantially better, especially at "prudent" bitrates around 35Mbit.

Unfortunately, turning on the B-frames means that you need to record 1080p24 for a second before using 720p in order to "condition" the camera. Probably some function call that needs to be made.
  • There seems to be a lot of 24p development and 1080 50p seems out of the question but what can be done to "Super" enhance the 720 - 50p? - there are so many people hungry for a PAL friendly option - Is a 50+Mbit option possible?
  • @ Vitaliy
    > Panasonic recently mentioned in interview that they'll be coming
    > with firmware update, most probably it'll have 25p, as I understand.

I expect they will include in a fw update what you have worked out already. They should pay you!
  • The big question is what kind of 25p it's gonna be? Low level implementation similar to 24p or just a new codec wrapper in 50i mode. The softness of 50i mode renders it useless to me, but full resolution 25p sensor output will be a game changer.
  • @zigizigi, it doesn't matter if it's wrapped in 50i - it's still true 25p and you just drop it on a 25p timeline. The 50i wrapping is only a tag on the AVCHD stream so it stays within the specs.
  • @zigizigi - can I ask what kind of work you do that 50i renders the gh2 'useless' to you?
  • It's not the matter of progressive vs interlace preferences, it's just that 50i mode in GH2 is crippled on the sensor level in terms of apparent resolution and weird picture aspect ratio compared to 24p.

It's been discussed. Just take a look and see for yourselves. These snapshots have been posted here somewhere, can't remember where and by whom, I just saved the links.

http://www.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/00011mts0009tpzsfhjkv.jpg
    http://img4.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/00012mts000y09uceo5p3.jpg

So if they take progressive 50p straight out of the sensor in so called 50i mode it doesn't change anything - the picture will still be soft and squeezed compared to 24p. It's low level.
  • If we end up with 25p in the form of a true progressive segmented file / wrapper (as in the case of the GH1) I'll be happy.

The current 50i mode in the GH2 is virtually unusable IMHO...I don't understand why they even bothered implementing it in the first place. It does an otherwise nice camera an injustice.
  • @zigizigi, @Skeptikal, I'm not convinced these image samples are accurate, if they are screenshots then we could be seeing the results of whatever deinterlacing the player or graphics card driver applied. It's even possible that the interlaced shot is just a single field, expanded to fill the frame (that would explain the softness). Only extracted raw frames would be valid, the interlaced top & bottom fields would have to be weaved to restore the full resolution the sensor is outputting.

Unfortunately I can't access my tripod at the moment, is anybody willing to run a test?