Personal View site logo
25mm F0.95 SLRMagic topic
  • 245 Replies sorted by
  • Yeah, I can't help it. I'm going to buy one even though I was pretty hard on Andrew about the problems with the 12mm. Since their return policy seems to be better as well as their QC, I'm going to order one. I have the 35mm 1.4 and it's not bad for $275 either.

• I have SLR Magic's step-up ring. When I go home, I'll measure the height of the ring and let you know.

• Ohhh, that's not exactly right. They are saying the lens can't move inwards to focus to infinity and one just needs to purchase a 62mm to 62mm male threaded extension ring found on ebay. This is most likely a much cheaper option than a $50 step up ring.

• Actually here's the exact wording "62-62 double Male -Male coupling Ring Adapter anyone can find from eBay "

• BTW, just bought the lens and coupler today. I'll let ya'll know how it works out.

• I have the 35mm 1.4 as well. Sorry I got my streams crossed! :) Thanks for the catch.

• I,m considering this lens but I have the 17.5mm voigt. Do you think FOV would be a little redundant between the two or will they compliment each other?

• @emweb Sell me your 17.5 voigt at a good price :D

• seriously, the two lenses together do not make sense. At least in my opinion. The 17.5 mm covers both the 12mm and the 25mm. Is quite wide and is also very close to 25. If you want a telephoto lens, you get something more. Otherwise you can make a very complete kit, with a wide-angle lens, the 25mm and a tele, and this makes sense. But the 17.5mm, is in the middle of the wide-angle and 25mm, and not worth the money for any other of them, just for a telephoto lens would make sense.

• My precious :)

image.jpg
    1280 x 1280 - 321K
  • Someboy can make a test with different apertures receiving light reflections like reflected sunlight or street lights and car to see how it impacts the glass for flare?

• I'm liking B&W photos from it.

Gh2 Dynamic B&W 0/-2/*/-2 ISO 3200

20130317-P1000082.jpg
    720 x 540 - 174K
    20130317-P1000083.jpg
    720 x 540 - 199K
    20130317-P1000084.jpg
    720 x 540 - 171K
  • @P13DM I see in your bokeh balls some squiggles/patterns like in the Rokinon/Samyang lenses. Do you notice these?

• I've just received my SLR 25 Hyper Prime, haven't had a chance to strap it on just yet but my initial impressions are positive, same as they were with the 12/1.6 Latest Model.

If you've ever held a small S16 Prime Set, the construction feels just as solid... much more like a cinema lens versus an SLR lens. Love how smooth the iris and focus are, the overall size (again like it belongs on an S16 body) and the matte black finish.

More soon.

• Still waiting for mine! @kholi How long did it take it to get yours after paypal cleared?

• Initially focus ring wasn't smooth. After installing a free step-up ring, I pushed the built-in hood all the way to the ring side. Then the focus ring became smooth. Not like Nokton's butter cutting smooth, but smooth enough.

@vicharris did you place order before 3/17? That was the last day for free step up ring (or hood ring???) promotion. Mine took 2 days for delivery.

• @stonebat Yep, placed it on the 15th but didn't know about the promotion thing going on till after I bought it. I figured it would have been here by now and I have heard anything from SLR. I'll email em later today.

• well call me crazy but I own the 12mm f1.6, the 17.5mm f.95, and the 25mm f.95 (voigt) and they all have a unique place in my bag. Each is just as useful as the other.

• @vicharris - I preordered long ago, back before the dinosaurs RULED the earth. Just messin', but yeah I was pretty early and have just been waiting for the right time. Been dreaming about this and the 35/0.95 especially. So happy to see it in person finally.

@Stonebat - I didn't have trouble with the focus ring and hood at all, the step up ring is just as fantastique as the 12/1.6 though... the two lenses look very pretty sitting beside each other. Edit here: I think though that I'm also used to different variations of focus rings, and have had way worse trouble with SLR glass in the past so I'm becoming tolerant. As long as I can turn it without the thing continuously spinning, or the teeth being misaligned, it's good to me!

Edit2: @Stonebat - Yeah I agree with you on the Nokton smooth, but also I like this kind of feedback from the lens. Generally if it's too loose it feels like I can't trust it, if that makes sense. There are a lot of cinema primes with similar sturdiness, really feels good on a follow focus.

@P13DM - THanks for focus report! Also, glad to see you're enjoying the lens. I know we discussed on DVXuser about this vs the Voigt a while back, I think this is the solid choice.

• Just as a heads up, it seems like it's going to take longer for anyone to receive this lens if they've ordered after the 15th. I ordered mine then and was told it will ship before the end on March. So we're looking at 2to3 weeks instead of a few days like they were shipping. No big deal, just something to be aware of if you think you're gettting it within a week.

• Soaring demand :)

• Have any of you used the SLR Magic 25mm with a variable ND fader? I have a 77mm variable ND fader, and on the SLR Magic site, they are selling a version of the 25mm with a '77mm hood ring' for an extra $50. Do you know if any third party 49-77mm step up ring would work or is there something specific about theirs that would require me to spend the extra $50 instead of buying a generic one?

I emailed them and haven't gotten the clearest answers. They said that if using a UV or regular ND filter, you can use directly on the 49mm lens thread, but because the built-in hood would get in the way, with a ND fader, you must use with their '77m hood ring.' They weren't specific if their '77mm hood ring' is different that a generic third party 49-77mm. Anyone have insight on this?? Thanks!

• @EricSF The step up ring is only necessary if you use a Variable ND filter. If you only need a normal ND filter (not variable) then a 49mm one will be fine and you don't need an adapter.

A generic one could work provided it gives you the space to attach a variable ND.

• @kermrock That's exactly the question I was hoping someone could answer - Will a generic 49-77mm step up ring to a variable ND fader work with this lens or do I have to spend an extra $50 on the SLR Magic one? Anyone have specific experience on this? Thanks!