Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
25mm F0.95 SLRMagic topic
  • 245 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks. Yeah I read those posts about 49-49 male to male coupler but I guess I was looking for confirmation that it works.

I just got an email from SLR Magic responding to if there's something specific about their 49-77mm step up ring that's different from any other 49-77mm and they responded, "It is tilted at an angle with a longer thread to avoid the built in lens hood. if you use generic one you will not be able to focus to infinity."

The longer thread part can be accomplished by the 49-49 coupler, but not sure what she meant about it being 'titled at an angle,' and if a generic 49-49 coupler with generic 49-77mm step up would accomplish the same thing. Anyone have any ideas?

• Ok that totally makes sense now. Thanks for the explanation. The only thing I think, 'titled at an angle,' could mean is maybe the angle of the step up part that connects to the 49mm thread? Meaning maybe that it's not a perfect 90 degree angle, which allows even more room for the built-in hood to protrude and reach infinity focus? Who knows?

Well for around $7 total, I guess it's worth trying a generic 49-49mm coupler with generic 49-77mm step up ring. Much cheaper than the SLR Magic's $50 '77mm hood ring,' and if it doesn't work, it's not that much of a loss...

• @P13DM Can you actually confirm that a 3rd party ring will not work as much as SLRs somehow priced $50 one?

• I've had this same discussion in the past about SLRs high priced add ons and found ones I bought of off ebay to work just as well. Not calling you out, just want real first hand experience from someone on this board. I still don't understand how a step up ring is $50? So in essence, a little ring of metal is 1/7th the price of the entire lens. Maybe I'm just a moron but I don't understand that at all.

• @vicharris I agree. This is why I asked the question in the first place. $50 for a step up ring seems like some price gouging. I really want there to be something special about it cuz I so appreciate what they've done with the 25mm lens itself in terms of quality and at very reasonable price compared to the Voigtlander 25mm. Just kinda leaves a bad taste in your mouth to pay $50 for a set up ring after getting such a good deal on the lens...

• @EricSF I have one on the way from Ebay but I did see another one that looked thicker, like explained in a prior post. For $2 I might just order that one too to check it out. For $2 who gives a crap! :)

• @vicharris

My take on the SLRMagic Step-Up rings: there are cheap step up rings that cast reflections (even if you don't notice them, they are generally there), and then there are very good step up rings and converters that take into consideration anomalies from different shooting scenarios.

If you look at Duclos modded/upgraded glass, the step up ring is an integral part of their process, it's a matte finish and depending on how large the step up is, you'll see ridges. These are NOT feature in cheaper step up rings. In fact, take a look at lens construction and you'll see the same type of finish.

SLRMagic's rings are on par with Duclos modifications, fifty dollars is not an unreasonable price for them. It may be out of some people's budget, and I can see the frustration in that, but overpriced or unreasonable it is not. It's a matter of deciding what quality you want, and you have the option to go with the cheaper ebay adapters.

Edit: I do not know if you can use a different ring, it does seem as though you need a coupler like P13 mentions, I have the SLRMagic step up ring for both the 12/1.6 and 25/0.95, they fit the aesthetic and I use them on different lenses to be honest, hardly ever use my cheap ones anymore if the thread fits the lens.

• @kholi So if a matte finish is one part of it, what's to stop someone from lightly sanding the interior finish and spraying it with a metal matte paint? I have a step up ring for my 12mm that I bought off ebay and have never noticed any of these problems you have mentioned.

Also, you think 1/7th the price of the lens is reasonable for a ring of metal? That does not make sense to me.

And I just looked at Ducloses step up rings he puts on the front of the cine mods and they are flat, not ridged. So besides matte, it's the exact same. Sorry, I'm not buying it. Now the huge cine zoom lenses have this ridged build quality you talk about but not any of his standard step up rings. Am I wrong here and I don't want to turn this into a flame thread but prove me and everyone else here wrong so I will shut up! :) Or pm me with further discussion but I think we owe it to people here to find out if the $2 ring works and I'll know in a couple weeks.

• @vicharris

Welllll, people say that they've never noticed any softness, double lines, color casts, and especially IR Pollution with Faders (none of which are actually good to use, no matter how expensive -- as of writing this) but it absolutely doesn't mean that it's not there and has been proven.

At one point people swore up and down that moire didn't exist in Canon DSLRs, it sure as heck did.

Also, there are a number of different Duclos rings depending, and aside from Duclos there are other companies that offer similar "clean up".

Personally, why would I need to prove you wrong? =P I'm not here for that, I'm just here to help diffuse the idea that it isn't worth the money. If you feel that your two dollar ring works and it's good for you, that's fantastic and noone's stopping you. Noone's forcing you to buy the SLR Step up either, right?

As far as what I think is reasonable to pay for, well, I've got it and I've had cheaper. I've also pretty extensive experience with cinema glass, so I judge by that. Of course, when you weigh your own experiences and preferences you may arrive at a different place, there's nothing wrong with that.

With all that said, what's really the big deal? There are simple lens caps -- plastic or rubber, that cost just under, as much, or more for Leica glass I believe. Replacement caps for Arri Primes can run 50.00 and they're "just" plastic. Good thing you have the choice to not buy them! xD

Edit: P13 already stated that you can use a coupler, it's in this thread isn't it? So it works if you figure it out. All settled up!

• Also, no flame, just speaking up from experience and liking what SLRmagic's doing, even if it may seem to come at a higher price to some.

Options, we must have them! >:O

• @P13DM I mispoke about all that info. I was including the generic coupler as you stated in the equation. That is my fault. In one of the reviews that was posted a few pages back, they used one of the cheap ones from ebay on the 35mm and it worked fine. That's what I'm shooting for plus a step up ring. I'll see what happens.

• Cool. Thanks @P13DM Like I said, it's only $2! :)

• The built-in hood sticks out of the filter thread at infinity focus.

The step up ring from SLR Magic has a male thread which edge seems to be sorta angled. That helps the step up ring tightly secured into the lens because the front of the lens where the label is printed on is angled.

• Can someone who has it post a photo of the SLR Magic '77mm ring hood' step up?

• Here you go.

image.jpg
    1494 x 295 - 80K
  • @stonebat, Does that ring screw in to the inner barrel instead of the inside of the outer barrel? And if so, does that mean that slanted part butts up against the wording on the front of the lens?

• It's screwed into the inner barrel.

The outside barrel is a part of the built-in hood. Not a good idea to install a step up ring on the hood because the hood can move back and forth.

• There's some gap. Push up the hood to close the gap. Then the focus ring becomes very smooth. Kinda butter cutting smooth :)

image.jpg
    2002 x 629 - 199K
  • Ahh, I see what's going on in there now. Thanks @stonebat

• Thanks @stonebat. That male 49mm thread does def look longer than a normal step up ring.

To use a generic step up you'd def need something to extend at 49mm. Thinking about it now though, a 49-49mm male to male coupler wouldn't work, would it? If your 49-77mm generic step up ring is 49mm male and 77mm female, then you'd end up with two 49mm males facing each other. You would need something that's 49-49 male to female, right? Does that even exist?

Am I thinking about this right?

• @vicharris You'd get the free step up ring, right?

• @EricSF Maybe 49-49 male to female? I don't know.... Good luck~!

• @stonebat I have no idea. I ordered on the 15th. I'll email and ask em but I think I found a 49 to 49 coupler that a little fatter than the rest that looks like it will work, then screw in a 49 to 77 step down ring in that. That gives you a 49 female and 77 female on that step down ring that you could screw in filters and what not. That might help @EricSF and me if I don't get one. I'll post the links for everyone.

• @vicharris Your lucky day. Save this attachment :)

image.jpg
    640 x 1136 - 183K
  • Coupler:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/370444053176?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 Stepdown: http://www.amazon.com/HeavyStar-Dedicated-Metal-Step-77-49mm/dp/B005R4I6X2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1363922035&sr=8-3&keywords=49+mm+step+down+77mm

Once I think about it, I know SLR is on here alot and even if I did make the cutoff, they might leave mine out cause I'm stirring up shit! :) If it's any consolation Andrew, I shot a resort promo video with you 12mm and it looks amazing! :) And this one looks like a winner too.