Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
25mm F0.95 SLRMagic topic
  • 245 Replies sorted by
  • Actually, mine has this too, and I feel like nearly everyone mentions something similar. I can't verify that it causes anything negative wrt image quality, but I don't like that there is play in an otherwise very solid lens.

• The first lens I got had this issue and, after a few days, the focus ring actually became decoupled from the focusing mechanism. I got this replaced, but the replacement still had the same issue of play. Makes me really doubt SLR Magic's build quality.

• So I've used lens extensively during a shoot this weekend. The play in the bayonet becomes noticeable when I turn the focus ring in Ex Tele mode and when I zoom-in to nail focus. Videos recorded in regular modes seem fine though.

Also I found lens to be not really usable at f0.95 - looks too hazy. Had to stop down to 1.2-1.4 to get usable image.

I'm not sure if I want to deal with replacement if there's a hight chance that I'll get the same problems with new lens.

• My lens does not have any mechanical flaw and it's pretty usable wide open.

• received the lens today. There is some play with the focus ring : when I change the focusing direction, it makes hearable CLACK noise. I have bad luck. I will wait until SLR Magic does the lens I need : mechanically perfect + 25mm T0.95 with at least 50% more light collected from T1.4 to T0.95 (by my gh2 sensor). From now it is only 25%. Hope 2nd generation will do...

Cancellation of order.

• Yeah, it's a pity it doesn't feel mechanically solid :( I really really like the image this lens produces. Colors are very pleasingly neutral, you can achieve nice shallow DOF, the bokeh is beautiful. I've emailed Jane asking for replacement, but didn't receive a reply so far.

• You see, if the lens had been without that issue I would have kept it because of optical performance.

• Alright, so I got response from Jane at SLR Magic. They want me to send the lens back to examine decide if it qualifies for replacement. If not, they will offer a refund. Which is a great service and I'm really thankful for that.

But unfortunately their technician was not convinced by the video I sent them (see below). So they cannot promise that the lens will be replaced. They say that "very quick focus movement will cause such issues".

The lens is obviously loose in the bayonet compared to my other m4/3 lenses, including SLRMagic 12mm which also moves a bit, but not that much. With my copy of 25mm I can make the image shake by just holding the front of the lens without focusing.

This is all quite disappointing as I have to send the lens back, wait for their decision and in the end I may end up without the lens at all or with the new lens that has the same flaw. 25mm was supposed to be my main lens, so I'm paralyzed :(

• Is it just my model or when you turn your aperture toward the smallest apertures (f16) it gets harder- more resistance- please let me know thanks

• Their QC is very bad. Send them an email and you might be able to get a replacement.

• UK Digital are selling this for £449. I'm very tempted.

• The difference between US and UK price is prominent enough for me. It is about 169 euro. That is a lot. It makes me wonder, is there any cheap ticket to bellow 169 euro to travel from The Netherlands to USA. Hahaha..

• It is annoying that the US price is so much better.. But the UK price is still pretty good for a prime lens this bright. I like SLR MAGIC stuff and I'm building the set so I'm gonna hit the trigger.

• I bought this on the black friday discount. What ... A ... Lens. It really does offer the 'full frame look' on a crop sensor. So BRIGHT and SHARP, and beautiful bokeh. Ridiculously shallow depth of field and separation between 0.25 - 5 metres. You can get objects about 3 metres away sharp and most everything in front and behind out of focus. Amazing lens.

• i need this lens

• Its lovely. Its rarely left my camera for most 'out and about' shoots. The only thing that I notice is the focus ring is pretty stiff. Otherwise - its the nicest lens I've shot with.

• SLR Magic 25mm f/0.92