Personal View site logo
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • Can a GoPro 3 owner tell me whether the lens has an iris? Does it stop down in bright light? Or is the only way the camera adjust exposure by changing the shutter speed and ISO?

• Kaikerr, I left an answer in the other thread you started. I probably left it in the wrong place. Sorry, I get confused sometime...

• Hi, recently i bought a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition camera with a SanDisk 32GB microSD card, and besides all the problems with the camera (freezing, not enought bus and stoping the camera, color changes in the same room/light in camraw protune filming mode, buttons doingwhattheywantanytime) suddenly it stops working and a "SD ERROR" appear in the screen so i plug it to my Mac to reformat it (the camera doesn't allow me to do that) and my Mac says it has no format and when i tryed to give a new format in only appears a 32MB (not GB) partition wich i tryed to format and doens't allow me in any case (i tryes it infinietly) so what i'm trying to do before i go to the shop where i bought the card and the camera is to completly erase all information as i use the card first to save passwords and sensitive information but as i can not access the card, how can i do this? any manual method to completly erase the card? (like magnetic o electric charges) i don't want to return the card to the store with this info inside it and i just bought it 2 weeks ago... Any ideas? Thanks.

2939af97d9b319f098d686bb75b91e.jpg
    1278 x 317 - 77K
  • My GP3 gets REALLY hot as I am running it from external USB power most of the time when shooting (gets me 3 hours or so of constant filming). There is extra heat dissipation in the USB 'charging' circuitry. The heat doesn't seem to affect the video quality, though.

• Yup, both mine get pretty warm. The sensor's always active, and it's probably the biggest source of heat.

• Is it normal that GP3 get hot after 30 minutes constant recording? (all settings, no case no frame). Mine gets hot....

• Cineform Studio's transcoded file never changes the original file. You can lower the contrast easily from your favorite editor. But I sure do with that the free Cineform Studio supports a curve.

• Just a heads up, the official Technicolor Cinestyle LUT does work with Protune. I use the free Magic Bullet LUT Buddy in AE to import it. Looks great! Not as contrasty and oversaturated as Cineform Studio's standard Protune setting, which I never liked to begin with. Just enough to make the image look normal.

• @konjow Ah, OK. TONS of people are having problems on Macs in every step of the workflow (even getting a Mac to see the GoPro via USB). Seems like the newest iMacs are powerful enough to handle the files, though.

• thanks @BlueBomberTurbo Im on mac cant use this codecs:). Cinefom conversion same problem with playback but only in Premiere. It in in protune.

• Also, don't drag the files directly into Premiere/AE. At least the Protune ones (haven't used regular ones yet). The programs clip highlights and shadows. 5DtoRGB conversion keeps them intact, and makes the red look more normal, too.

• @konjow LOTS of people are having problems on other forums playing back the new GoPro formats, even in standard media players. Comes down to processing power and correct codecs. I can play up to 2.7K at any fps on my Core i7 2600K and GTX 570 with the 2011-11-11 CCCP codec pack:

http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

4K stutters for a couple seconds, then it plays back fine. Well, as fine as 12/15fps can be played back at. ;)

• I got my GP3 and did same tests. My editing machine is not newest but sits works ok for hacked GH2 or GH3 footage. However I cant get smooth playback GP3 footage in Premiere cs6. Non works smooth: raw nor cine conversion even with 1/4 quality. 1080p50 should works. quick time and other players works fine. Do you have similar issues?

• @BlueBomberTurbo

May be make special topic about GoPro 3D rig and related things in 3D category?

• Shot drifting in 3D yesterday for 6hrs or so (with sunburn to prove it!), on and off, with my GP3 Black 3D rig. The remote worked flawlessly for over 180 clips. I'll have a pic of my setup and a couple sample vids up tonight.

• Here is a video I shot of our trip to the Great Wolf Lodge indoor water park with the GoPro III black. It contains 2.7K, 1080p @ 60 FPS, 720p @ 120 FPS, and 480p @ 240 FPS footage. You can tell what is 240 FPS footage by the flicker in the lights. The 2.7K and 720p @ 120 FPS modes were my favorite for this setting.

• @Rambo Camraw WB? Nope. I guess I should check that out. Thx! @joeschmoe No I didn't pull the battery. They got really impatient up there (it was really harsh wind) and they wanted to leave so I said f**k it.

• @tobsen, did you use the CamRaw WB ? It's been spot on for many people both underwater at depth and in bright white snow.

• Awesome vid! I'm moving to Whistler next fall, hopefully will be getting some decent shots myself! Did a battery pull not help with the wifi stall? I had my hero 2 lock up while boarding tonight, battery pull fixed. I'm still waiting for Hero 3 blacks to show up in my neck of the woods, no one has had any yet. :(

• I was the proud (sad) owner of a GoPro3 until it went its own ways during a snowboard trip in Austria. I must say, I quite liked it. Only problems I had were: 1) Wifi function stalled on top of a mountain. GoPro wasn't usable anymore until battery ran out. No chance to use it manually. That was weird. Maybe it was not the cam, but the iPhone app, but it definitely got me freakin' mad, because I crawled up a mountain and had only one chance to take pov shots riding down from there. 2) I used protunes and the image was very yellowish. Was not able to fully recover the footage to match the GH3 shots I also took. Check graded video. I think you can spot it.