Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • Great micro sdhc deal. It's almost $12 cheaper than the cheapest ebay deal. Thanks!

• This doesn't make sense:

White Balance will only be available if Protune mode is turned ON.

PROTUNE uses AUTO White Balance and will override any non-AUTO White Balance setting.

According to the manual the white balance setting will never take affect.

• @mpgxsvcd From the way it's worded, I'm thinking custom WB in Protune is available in Photo mode, but not Video Mode. But someone uploaded a video on Vimeo the other day supposedly using Cam RAW WB. Possible last minute firmware change before release?

EDIT: Here's the vid:

• @subco, it's not the fact that POV cameras now come with high frame rates, it's the Twixter pluggin that every teenager on the net found for free that's to blame :-)

• A few interesting vids:

2.7K straight from the camera, available to download and play with! :)

GoPro 2 vs 3: low light and audio comparison.

• Anyone run the vid through a batch file lens correction filter in PS?

• @DrDave I'll be bringing it into AE tonight for its optical correction filter. The GP2's video corrected pretty well, and came out to just about a 2.39:1 aspect ratio. Things were a bit stretched on the extreme sides, but those could be cut off with a regular 16:9 ratio. Here's a quick example:

Let's see how the GP3 fares! :)

• Are there any stores that are shipping the Black Edition right now?

• @mpgxsvcd A vendor on one of the forums I hang out at said their stock will be in by the end of the week, based on what their GoPro rep said. Also that GoPro's webstore and wholesale account orders will supposedly ship at different times, which would explain why the vendor is getting stock in advance of the webstore. I'll post up if they do arrive. After I order mine, of course! :3

• Something I squeezed out of the 2.7K file uploaded to Vimeo. I'm not that good at color grading, but you can get sharp as hell images when downscaling to 1920x805.

gopro_hero_3_black_2.7k_@_24_protune_cinema_mode.png
    1920 x 805 - 3M
  • Yeah, I was playing with the vid at lunch, and it's insane how much sharpness you can get out of it, even at full res. I was able to do 2 passes, one with Neat Video (regained some microcontrast, too), and one with the regular Unsharpen Mask, without bringing up compression artifacts.

• I hate to say it but I am more excited about getting the GoPro 3 than I am about getting the GH3. I am sure that will change when I actually get both. However, the GoPro 3 is just so cool when you consider its price.

What I wouldn’t give for a GoPro with an interchangeable lens mount, or a zoom lens, or perhaps a larger version with an m4/3s mount! I guess the GoPro does have zoom capabilities with its semi-ETC mode. Not sure what the field of view for the narrow setting is though.

• @mpgxsvcd There will most likely be swappable aftermarket lenses like there were with the GP2. Those were mostly for normal FOV and macro. It'd be nice to get a low light or telephoto lens this time, though.

• It will be some time before you get a swappable lens for the HD3, especially if you want it to fit into the housing as well. The new lens on the HD3 is a specific low distortion design ( less fish eye) and also designed so it doesn't vignette on the smaller housing FLAT lens.

Best Buy already have HD3's in stock, but selling quick.

• @Rambo In stores or online? Right now online, looks like they have the White and Silver available, but the Black is still on preorder.

• No in stores, quite a few of our forum members have them now.

• Well, looks like I'm going to Best Buy for lunch tomorrow! :D

• Come on Black Friday!!! Cyber Monday!!! But those days are meaningless nowadays.

• @mpgxsvcd me too. Looks very interesting, and some kind of lens mount adapter would be awesome for any of my fast primes. @bluebomberturbo--that looks good corrected--is that HWY 17? Where is that?

• I have one on order with GoPro that I need to cancel. I went by Best Buy this evening and they had 2 that they hadn't even put on the shelf yet. I bought both of them. Charging now.

• @DrDave That's somewhere in NY state, near Bear Mountain. Not sure of the exact road (not familiar with the area), but 17 would've been very close. We meet up there every year and do a mountain run. This year was kinda disorganized because it rained a bit, and the road up the mountain was closed for a while because it was filled to capacity.

Here's my version of the 2.7K sample:

gopro_hero_3_black_2.7k_@_24_protune_cinema_mode._2704x1440 (0-00-00-07).jpg
    2704 x 1143 - 2M
  • @BlueBomberTurbo, what's with all the pink? Something went wrong there.

• Hmmm, the JPG doesn't match what AE shows. The thumbnail above is even worse than the actual JPG. o.0 Doesn't look pink on my screen, but much warmer than intended.

EDIT: just checked it on IE, and it's definitely getting into pink territory. I'm using Chrome. I guess try downloading it and see if it makes a difference?

• Is this the Cineform codec or something different, that is, does it work in speedgrade?