Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • I shot 30 Gigs worth of GoPro 3 and GH2 footage today. Trying to edit that much footage will be tough but I will try to get a video up this weekend to show how the GP3 cuts into GH2 footage.

• mpgxsvcd, that's awesome, thanks for taking the time to post all these samples and put together these videos, it's very informative and much appreciated!

• Is the hero 3 already on sale or something?

• @GravitateMediaGroup

Yes. I got my hero 3 black from Best Buy early last week.

• @mpgxsvcd Is your Black charging properly?

• Wonder why BH and amazon don't have it yet.

• @GravitateMediaGroup I think GoPro is pissed at Best Buy and sent them all their rejects first.

• Bestbuy.com doesn't have them either

What's this "charging issue" with them?

• @peternap @GravitateMediaGroup

All GP3 blacks have an issue where the red light always stays on. In addition the write errors are caused by using the old battery pack. I bought several more GoPro III batteries today. The GP3 doesn't seem to do well on battery life. I was getting less than two hours per battery and the remote battery ran out in less than 4 hours.

All of the Best Buys in my area had plenty of the GP3 blacks earlier in the week.

I got the frame at Best Buy today as well.

• Here are some real world downloadable files straight from the GoPro III black mounted on the GH2. Both files are available for comparison. The GH2 had the 25mm F1.4 @ F1.4 on it. Trust me this part of the gym is REALLY REALLY DARK. Both of these cameras are preforming very well in these conditions.

The 4K @ 15 FPS shows too much noise but the resolution is great. The 1080p @ 60 FPS has way to much noise reduction. However, the 2.7K @ 30 FPS looks almost perfect. Outdoors I think the 1080p @ 60 FPS and perhaps the 720p @ 120 FPS would look good as well. In my experience the 4K is never better than the 2.7K.

4K GoPro

GH2 footage during 4K recording GoPro

2.7K GoPro

GH2 footage during 2.7K recording GoPro

1080p @ 60 FPS Medium Angle of view GoPro

GH2 footage during 1080p @ 60 FPS recording GoPro

• @GravitateMediaGroup It's a little more than the light not going off. Both of mine often need the batteries pulled before they will turn on after charging.

• Here is a 720p @ 120 FPS video. remember this is indoors in very poor lighting. The 120 FPS mode is almost useless indoors. Outside it may be better.

• @mpgxsvcd What's your workflow on them?

• @peternap

The files I posted are straight out of the camera. However, I am editing together the footage now. It will take a bit of work to get the GP3 footage to look anything like the GH2 footage. It is not that the GP3 is bad. It is just different.

Shooting wide angle and tight at the same time is wonderful for events like this. You never miss anything and it was easy to shoot that way. The GP3 remote was in my left hand and the GH2+GP3 was in my right hand. I could start and stop them simultaneously.

• @mpgxsvcd Thanks for the uploads. 2.7k 30p looks nice.

• This is weird. The first 2 frames of the 2.7K Protune video look unprocessed with (color) noise. All the other frames seem to have some kind of noise reduction. A bug?

no-noise-reduction.jpg
    1980 x 1116 - 1M
    noise-reduction.jpg
    1916 x 1080 - 1M
  • @shamo42

That is weird. The video definitely looks like your second image more than the first image. I actually like the noise reduction for the 2.7K video. I think it does an adequate job and then I don't have to do it in post. These videos were uploaded as they came out of the camera so what you see is what you get.

I am liking what I got so far very much. However, it is taking me a longer time to edit the videos. I have twice as much footage since I shot them simultaneously. I keep selecting GH2 footage to use but then I look at the GP3 footage and I want to use both. These two cameras are outstanding and when used together they are simply fantastic.

I can honestly say that shooting low light ultra wide angle videos with m4/3s is useless with the GP3 as an option.

• Maybe it's like the GH2 at higher ISOs. The first couple of frames or so are different looking than the rest of the video.

• I don't normally mess with color grading. However, I thought I would give it a try. What do you guys think?

• Or what about this one with a bit more color?

• I like the last one except for some slight loss of detail in the highlights. This is what I got. The second image is what it would look like with color noise reduction only. I actually prefer that look. It looks more organic/less digital.

1253213050111.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    manual noise reduction.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @mpgxsvcd

I think you need some light crane for this camera :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

<I think you need some light crane for this camera :-)

Yea I bought some inexpensive portable box lights. However, I can only use them at our home gym. Other gyms won't let us setup additional lighting.

Really this is an outdoor camera. However, it isn't bad for indoors if you know which resolutions and frame rates work best.

• @mpgxsvcd

No, I mean camera crane that has light weight.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Oh sorry. Yes that would be cool too. However, I could save a little money and just reach my arms out. I get mistaken for a small crane sometimes because I am almost 2 meters tall. :)