Personal View site logo
GH3 user reviews and opinions
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @alex, in both Photo mode and Video mode, you can touch the LCD screen and the GH3 goes into 10x zoom mode (centered wherever you touch the screen)

• For recording video with the app can some tell me if you must use this timed record mode, or if in creative movie mode you can only start recording? Would a wireless remote shutter work around this? Mine is being shipped now, but wondering if someone knows.

• True, 1/3 gives those small increments and extended ISO enables 125/25600 ...

@GH3 owners, what is quickest way to access focus assistant (magnification of the image center), with manual lenses?

on the GH2 I just needed to push the dial. The GH3 requires to push an assigned F-button followed by the SET/MENU button. That sucks because the set button has a bad position for access whilst shooting ...

• To bring in the extra ISO settings simply go to a photo mode (e.g. 'M'), hit menu, over to photo icon, Switch 'ISO Increments' menu to 1/3 EV (up from 1 EV), switch back to Movie Rec mode, press the ISO button and there you will see in each 1/3 stop increment all the other ISO modes. Movie Recording ISOs using the above start at 200 and end at 6400 with everything inbetween at 1/3 stop increments. Picture photo modes start at 125 ISO going all the way upto 25600 ISO with 1/3 stop increments with the additional 'Extended ISO' menu function switched on.

• @Sph1nxster : From http://www.noamkroll.com/gh3-vs-gh2-and-initial-thoughts/ "Out of the box, the ISO options on the GH3 are: 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200. Only 5 of them. But if you dig deeper into the photo menu, there is an option to turn on 1/3 increments for ISO’s that will open up all the intermediate ranges."

• @Sph1nxster

set to extended ISO in the Settings. Extended ISO OFF limits to 200, 400, 800, 1600 ...

• @Jspatz

Strange that you can start recording from the app must must stop from the camera button.

To prevent you from accidentally stopping the recording. I don't agree with that thought process but I believe that is why they did it.

• Being working with the GH3 for just under a week now, and am I the only one that finds it strange that there is a jump from ISO 800 to 1600 on video?

I predominantly used ISO 1000-1250 on GH2 for low light stuff and i'm still seeing too much noise with ISO 1600 on the GH3.

Would also like to see an ISO limiter for the video side of things, this would allow me to trust the Auto ISO for the more run and gun situations.

• @Jspatz yes it's a strange way to stop video recording

• @Jspatz - you holding? Would love to see one and check it out... Lemme know if you need any assistance - set up/testing.

• Strange that you can start recording from the app must must stop from the camera button.

• @gib Yep, same 'ere. :-)

• @driftwood thats the new Lumix Link app on the apple app store now

just trying it out now, you can adjust Aperture/Shutter, ISO and white balance in video mode and photo mode

The focus point can also be input on the remote device and the playback option now works :)

• nobody has a comparative res chart GH3 vs GH2 with analog and lumix lenses?

• All in all the GH3 is an incredible successor to the GH2 and a better camera in most ways – even when compared to a hacked GH2. With that said it does potentially suffer from more moire than the GH2 and the jump in image quality isn’t drastically different.

The biggest and most notable improvements are: a stronger body, slightly better image all round, 1080/60p, ability to record proper timecode, better audio control and usability, added dynamic range, and Wi-Fi remote controlling.

It feels likePanasonic have actually listened to what their customers wanted and included nearly everything that GH2 users wants that camera to be. The camera is not perfect, but no camera is.

Via: http://www.noamkroll.com/gh3-vs-gh2-and-initial-thoughts/

• @Driftwood et al.... All this detail/dr/pixel peeping is nice, especially the last one, Nick. When can we see some tests with skintones? Thanks and I really appreciate all of this!

• My Initial impressions: It appears that any amount of NR turns the grain from beautiful to ugly. Sharpening -5 for Lumix lenses and -2 to 0 for non-lumix feels right at this point. Contrast -5 and saturation 0 rounds out where I want to be going into post. This is all modifying the custom scenery setting.

• Someone responded to the quick CAF test results I posted this morning. He requested a comparison with the Lumix 20/1.7 at f3.5-4.0 It's night-time here, so all I could do is get some clips inside at ISO 1600 and 3200.

Standard Mode {0,0,0,0}. ISO=3200. Zero grading, only added titles and encoded as an MP4.

The 20/17 is very poor at CAF in Video, and sometimes even fails to focus at all. It can sometimes not change its focus from the previous subject if panning back and forth. Really bad. However, the 14-140 had no issues. It is silent and and always acquired focus. I don't think this is any different than on the GH1 or GH2? So, it's not anything new.

The results are very conclusive. You never want to use CAF with a 20/1.7 lens. BTW, I just set the WB to tungsten, but, yuk, yellow cast to everything. I probably should have stuck to AWB? However. I don't care. This was just a CF test.

Also, I won't be able to do anything else with the GH3 till next weekend. But, that's OK. We should soon have test results streaming in from much more qualified GH3 owners than me. :-)

I look forward to reading and learning!

@driftwood: Thanks for the tip about Focus Tracking. I've not used it but my guess is that it would only function well on the 'HD' lenses (like 14-140)?

@vitaly: Sorry about posting to the wrong thread before.

This second clip has all the same setting, but ISO 1600 rather than 3200

• That AF tracking is quite huge to me as it somehow missed the final release version for the GH2. It's especially useful if you're using the GH3 on a stabilizer.

• Looks like WI-FI will be ready this week....

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/lumixlink/iphone/index.html

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/lumixlink/android/index.html

▪ “Aperture”, “Shutter Speed”, “Exposure Compensation”, “ISO Setting”, “White balance” can be adjusted while monitoring live view image of camera in remote control.(GH3)

▪ Focus control using a variety of “AF(Auto Focus) mode” and “MF(Manual Focus) mode” is available in remote control.(GH3)

▪ ”Touch Shutter” enables focusing and shutter release by just touching the target point on the camera’s live view image in remote control.(GH3)

▪ All settings in the camera’s “Q(Quick)-MENU” can also be adjustable in remote control.(GH3)

▪ Video can be recorded with timer setting in remote control.(GH3)

▪ Images can be transferred to the smartphone / tablet automatically right after shooting.(GH3)

• Thanks for the info AKED... I'll try and run the test tomorrow when my copy is delivered!

• AF tracking also works in video mode (finally). But I have not had the time to make the test you suggested.

• Does AF track work with video, or just stills? I'd love to see a shot of a subject walking right up to the lens (with camera on a tripod) while the tracking feature racks focus... it will be incredible if it can pull it off smoothly without any hunting. A slow motion shot would be interesting to try as well (conformed in camera at 40 or 50%).

• The tracking I have been waiting for since the GH2 (It w as working on the Photokina 2010,, Firmnware 0.2 but no more in the final GH2).