Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Wedding Videography
  • 299 Replies sorted by
  • Some really well done videos in here. I just recently shot my first wedding and can say it is not easy :)

• Canon Live Learning is hosting a free C100 event with Joe Simon at Canon Hollywood on Nov 19.

Canon DLC: Event: Joe Simon: Utilizing the EOS C100 for Wedding and Event Productions

• Presented by: Joe Simon
    • Program: Professional Development Seminars & Workshops
    • Date: November 19, 2013
    • Time: 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm (doors open at 6:00 pm)
    • Fee: Free. Advanced registration required.
    • Location: Canon Hollywood Professional Technology & Support Center 6060 Sunset Blvd Hollywood, California 90028

Are you an inspiring independent filmmaker? Would you like to learn more about the emerging market of event filmmaking? Come and join Joe Simon as he discusses his creative evolution from action sports to becoming an industry-leading event filmmaker. He’ll discuss his wide range of subject matter and how the versatility of the EOS C100 fits his production requirements. From preproduction to post-production, learn how to take your projects to the next level on this amazing camera. Joe will also cover the features and benefits of the EOS C100 and the contents of his equipment bag that get him through even the most stressful wedding shoots.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/events_calendar/event_details/cll_events/20131119_hollywood_c100_cll.shtml

• Hey guys;

I'm fairly new to the wedding 'game'... I've shot about 5 weddings, with 2 more booked this side of Christmas and a few inquiries for next year.

I wouldn't consider my work to be anywhere near up to the caliber of the work I've seen in this thread, but I'm still proud of what I've done... and the couples I have worked for have all been happy with their videos.

My business is still fairly young, I still shoot on some not-so-great equipment (I use my GH2, 14-42mm kit lens, a few vintage lenses, a GH1 and an LX7 for my wide shots) and I take shortcuts where I can't really afford to spend a lot of money (like my audio). I use a few cheap Sony voice recorders ("note takers") with Azden EX503's for celebrant and groom audio. My GH1 usually has the Rode VideoMic on it (and it sounds awful thanks to terrible AGC) and my GH2 has a HTDZ 320A on it (this mic is really good for $40).

Still very much learning, and improving on my techniques. I spend a lot of my time running-and-gunning with weddings, so my footage tends to get a bit shaky (warp stabilizer is handy for this).

you can take a look at a few of my videos... this one here is my latest:

http://www.danielrutterfilms.com/

• This is my latest wedding video from the summer.

I'd like to do a lot more but can't seem to get my name out there! I've done 12 weddings to date and all have been from word of mouth, but I see so many other weddings going on with videographers and have to wonder how they were found!

Let me know what you think!

• Great to see some people uploading their work here, shame my work filter wont let me see it and im stuck in the middle of the ocean right now. I'll need to have a look when I get back home (10 more days to go :s)

@daniel_r you mentioned your footage can get a bit shaky? What are you using for stabilisation? You tried a video orientated monopod or handheld rig setup?

@tylerknight Are you using Facebook or Twitter to promote your work? Got a website? It can take a while to build up the enquiries.

• @Sph1nxster I use Facebook heavily to promote (twitter I really hate but am starting to be forced into using) and I do have a website yes. www.districtmediadesign.com

I have been doing this for 14 years, and registered my business 3 years ago so I guess it's still early for sure!

I am getting a lot of work in other areas, but I would love to do more weddings, I enjoy them and the money is fairly good for the work involved ( minus the stress factor )

I am thinking of starting another business that is wedding film specific any ideas?

• @sph1nxster I have a photo-monopod, a balanced shoulder rig and a good (not great, but good) video tripod. It's still early days for me, and I don't want to be spending more money than I'm making. I've been doing that for the last 12 months and I need to stop it. That being said, I am looking at a few stabilized lumix lenses (this is why I use the kit 14-42mm for the bulk of my work) and a Manfrotto monopod clone with feet.

• @daniel_r I noticed a few shots there would've been a bit better if a monopod had been used, plus of course a wider lens is always going to appear more stable than a longer one/

@tylerknight That video you shared is over an hour long! Do you also cut a smaller one that is only a few minutes long? I bet such a video will get shared around Facebook and by email a lot more, thus will then have been seen by far more people. Will help get your name out there :-)

• here is my first attempt...shot for friends for free!

• @IronFilm I know unfortunately the clients keep requesting their full videos to share with family. I always suggest a highlight reel but none of my clients have been interested at all for some reason!

• @tylerknight i think if you make one as an additional to what you already do then your client will love the freebie and it gives you an opportunity to showcase your abilities in a much easier to digest size.

• @IronFilm Yes, I realise this. Hence why I have stated I will be purchasing a better monopod in the future. For now I have to get by with what I have, and I have a few work-arounds to my 'camera shake'.

What lenses do you guys use? I'm looking at a few lenses, will be on a bit of a budget though. The 45-150mm lumix lens was one I looked at for ceremony shooting (A lot of my weddings are outdoors, but the GH2 handles low light pretty well if I shoot inside a church), and I took a look at the 35-100mm f2.8 as well... but that price is making me cringe (the focal length and the wide aperture are nice... but I don't deem it worth the asking price).

• @Daniel_R - take a look at the Benro A48F monopod. got one for $200 shipped to my door and it is better than the Manfrotto cause the fluid head has a pan on it letting me use it on my slider. A lot of bang for the buck there.

• Hi @sph1nxster and every one. I'm quite new to this wonderful site, wich is an entire world, not just a forum - thank you Vitaliy (and Driftwood and all of you guys) - I follow various aspects and threads here. I've been shooting wedding videos since 1984, and went through all kind of Technologies (and Weddings), starting from vhs linear editing... It's two years I've been using a P2 Panasonic cam (dvcproHd), but the Gh2 and Gh3 are gaining more and more importance in my job. So I will follow this thread also, hoping my experience will be as useful as yours.

• @RatLabProductions I was looking at the Benro S2 and S4 monopods that are almost exactly like the Manfrotto (with the feet) that have an asking price of around $240+

• I have the one with the S4 head A48FS4 model. I got it on Amazon for just a shade over $200 shipped. I must have gotten a deal. Great monopods I highly recommend them. Both the Benro and the Manfrotto need some adjustment in the tension screws on the bottom and some silicon lube to make them sqeek free and smooth at the base.

I shot a wedding last year where I wished I had a monopod because I was forced to be mobile on a longer lens due to location restrictions.