Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 Best Video Settings
  • 814 Replies sorted by
  • Uploading it in a different format won't change a thing, YouTube does its compression server-side regardless of what you upload. Your best option would be to upload to Vimeo and allow people to download the original cut as a high bitrate (like, 30-40mpbs or so) H264.

• wgtwo, thought about that too. I first tried to put it in HD+Apple ProRes 422 which gives me some fat 2 GB for this little one. My Internet then collapses :/. Do you have an idea what is a decent format, which will do the trick?

Refering to the cropping, i did maintain the pixels cropping from each track the outer margin away, which leaves me with the fillet area concerning lens and center focus control. Then I shifted this area into a corner maintaining its size and resolution. Shifting and cropping was done with definite coordinates from the keyboard, to prevent half px moving using a mouse. This way the 4 respectively 3 snippets can be seen side by side in original size & resolution.

With the native files on my screen I do see a visible difference between the codecs looking at the semitransparent blossoms and the hairy surface of the stems. AVCHD seems smoother or a bit more blurry to me. Furthermore pulling sharpness, contrast and noise reduction down to -5 left to my eyes the tiny details intact, especially nearby the edges and using MOV all i. And that should be the treasure for the creative part.

• @a_a_ Appreciate it, but the problem is, you can't really see all that much with each video being at such a low resolution. 1920x540 crops would be better. Also, AVCHD vs MOV is a little pointless given that the difference is only really visible after practical post production, and YouTube compression more or less renders them the same.

I would love to see a definitive explanation of what each of the color modes do. I really don't see why Panasonic doesn't release technical specifications in this regard.

• You are right, it took me some patience too, to get it out to youtube. Should be there by now. :-)

• @a_a_

FYI: Your video isn't working :/

• Hi, I followed your discussion, because of the same questions. To get a better idea I put following for me together. A Comparison between AVCHD, MOV, MOV all i and picture settings using GH3 and FCPX.

What do you think?

• @wgtwo Never heard that about Portrait. I seem to get the best results from Standard and Natural all dialed down to -3 or more.

• I heard that Portrait yields the greatest dynamic range. How true is this? Would shooting standard and applying an inverse S-curve (not that I would do that) produce the same result, or are we actually getting more information from the sensor? I've been shooting at -5/-2/-2/0, mostly because I don't want to risk losing colour information and have no encountered any moire at those settings.

• @leonbeas

I like standard dialed down because it puts the footage in a range the I can work with in post. Using Natural dialed down looses too much info in the flesh tones for me.

• LOL... your right. It means I understand all the Technic information just want to know what settings you use and the reason why. I'm personaly fighting against so many options to setup, trying to understand how camera reacts on so many setting combinations. I don't get the sweet point in colours yet its hard on this camera to get proper skintones but for the price its ok. I miss the RGB adjustment in the 5D (jejeje) Also the auto-focus sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Don't know if its me or the camera or what. And yes the EVF is useless for focus, nice though for 3rd stabilization point, when shooting video.

Can you please explain more in depth the standard option? "Standard because I simply prefer it."

Thanks.

• @leonbeas • Standard because I simply prefer it.

• -3-3-3-3 All of these can be brought back "up" in post if I need or want.

• 50Mb/s modes only. Because the All Intra modes aren't high enough bit rate until the camera gets a hack.

That's me personally. The best way to find out your best settings is to personally test and compare... again and again.

PS: "Please don't explain everything again just resume, your best settings and WHY?"

You're asking something that's hard to do as only YOU knows what, "don't explain everything again" means.

Good luck to you.

• SO can anyone make a resume on best settings, I know every shot must be planned an set up, but for general purpose and I'm new to the camera, using mostly, natural contrast -3 / sharp-2 / saturation 0 / noise -3 almost always in .mov 60p or all intra 72 at 30p.

Please don't explain everything again just resume, your best settings and WHY?

THANKS ALL

• @vicharris I wish you'd started your post with, "I feel like I've been taking crazy pills here!" That one was a classic. X^D

Thank you for confirming the info. :)

• Wasn't this figured out right from the start? How is there even a conversation about what mode to shoot on. I'm confused? Or just maybe I pay to close attention :)

• @starios I left you the same message on youtube:

Until the GH3 gets a hack that enables it to shoot All intra at 100Mb/s or higher, the 50Mb/s settings on the GH3 yields "better" video.

Drew from DREWnet explained it to me: "...I would caution you on using the intra mode at the very low stock bitrate (72Mb/s)-- it's the visual equivalent of a 30 Mbps long-gop recording. Until the GH3 gets hacked and those bitrates on the intra mode are raised to over 100 Mbps -- I'd avoid it and stick with the 50 Mbps long-gop mode (that is the visual equivalent of a 100 Mbps intraframe recording)."

Did my own tests (with the stock 50Mb/s Long GOP settings on the GH3) after receiving the above message from Drew. Just as you have begun to figure out in your earlier post starios .... the 50Mb/s settings are better... for now. I'm convinced.

• Color grading test for a documentary intro I'm working on. 90% of the footage shot with the GH3, 24p All-Intra @ 72Mb/s. Standard Color Adjusted to -3 -3 -3 -2 Panny 14-140 lens

(The other 10% shot with GH2 and Driftwoods Slipstream 1b patch)

All input is welcome. Mostly interested in ways to improve.

• @yak Here's a quick CC

• Driving shot for skin tones... maybe it's my CC skills that are way off! Did another CC test from Standard, and there really is too much noise when lifting the shadows. @Starios is right.

• @yak The keyboard or driving shot?

• @maddog15 I'd really like to see your color correction on the natural -5 clip.

• for me these are the best settings, from those tests and for my way of editing I am sure now that ALLi and in camera contrast are noisier, you may have the right about skin tone but I think that everything can be fixed in post. The chalky effect in your video @maddog15 is not only because of -5 contrast, I believe its a combination with the -5 saturation

• @maddog15 the tests were shot in natural profile, everything in -5 except saturation in -2

• @starios Where do you keep your Noise Reduction and on which profile? Did a test last night. Really don't like the in camera NR. (Don't like anything preprocessed in-camera for that matter) Blotchy and muddy. I think I like the "grain" look of the noise at -5.

GH2NoiseCompar.jpg
    1920 x 1243 - 377K