Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 Best Video Settings
  • 814 Replies sorted by
  • so why not 'touch the NR' ?

• @OBGene I meant I left the NR at 0 because I haven't purchased a noise reduction filter like neat video or Red Giant's Magic Bullet Denoiser II. For the reason that I shoot most of my video at ISO 200 and I don't think I'll see a dramatic benefit. If someone can show me otherwise, I'll bite the bullet :) I suppose I should try shooting with NR turned down a bit and see if I get more detail without any visible increase in noise. Perhaps this weekend...

• @flablo That does look great. I'm guessing that you're not using YAK's LUT?

• @SuperSet no, I'm just not trying to shoot flat: lens used is relatively cheap (but wonderful in my opinion) Fujinon 50mm @1.4. Don't know if it matters, but I didn't have a grey card with me, so I dialed manually the temperature (I think it was 3700K or 3400K) because there was a light with a bank lighting the subject and we estimated it should have been around that temperature: if I look at the shirt, it was grey but it seems a bit on the yellow side, so maybe the temperature was a bit offset. Could it be that by setting the WB a bit too warm I somehow counterbalanced the magenta cast of the GH3?

• You guys do realize that the GH3 in the WB menu has adjustments not only for the color temp but also adjustments for the green/mangenta balance. You should be able to get a fairly neutral image right out of the GH3. Depending on your lighting situation you should be able to get rid of any false green or magenta casts.

• GH3, 14-42 kit lens, 50mm canon FD f1.4 with RJ Lens Turbo

Natural Nr and Sharp -5 rest at 0

Graded with filmlooks

• @CarlosMorillo That's exactly how I white balance (video on page 27) and I don't have any problem with magenta cast.

• What is the native (best) ISO for this camera considering I can add as much light as I want? Go to answer is 200 but is it really? Anyone tested this.

• Here is a short video made with old footage of a job I shot @ Natural 0 Contrast graded.

I like the skin tones...

• Nice Skin, I think all 0 gives a nice result, I´ll try. Even with sat -3 I start to see some kind of plastic faces

• I never really post in this topic, but I check it nearly every day. This is a short (and completely pointless) video that was shot in 18 minutes, haha. Initially I was supposed to shoot some dancing in the subway, but my actress had time restrictions so I only had 15-20 minutes to shoot her walking around and film whatever we saw. While I'm not happy with how rushed it was and the actual material that I shot, I am pretty pleased with the final image. I shot this with a GH3, SLR Magic 12mm T/1.6, and Glidecam HD 2000. Picture profile was Natural with all settings at -5. I then graded in DaVinci Resolve 10 LITE, adding a light unsharp mask, @yak's GH3 skin tone V3 LUT, the Vision Color OSIRIS M31 Rec 709 LUT, Film Convert, and then finally a slight desaturation adjustment on the final node. Any feedback is welcome! Enjoy :)

• Matt

P.S. YouTube compression killed the grain (horribly - as usual :/)

• @yak and @Matthew Great skin tones. As far as the GH3 is concerned, I'm pretty much done with the -5 Golden Rule. I too get much better results in the 0 to -3 range on sub settings.

• @maddog15 Thanks! Yeah, I did some experimenting myself but I still find myself coming back to -5. With the right series of nodes I believe the skin tones turn out more cinematic and less baked-in. Just my two cents, though :)

Best, Matt

• @Matthew very nice grading, feels cinematic to me. But I do feel GH3 renders better darker skin.

• I would like to know, to make your white balance, you prefer use one white paper or one neutral grey 18%. With what do you obtain the best result ?

• Here's a two-minute test shot over the weekend at Natural -4, -3, -3, -5. No sharpening or noise reduction added in post. Extremely minor color correction; saturation added for good measure, and a tiny touch of Osiris' Jugo LUT thrown in :)

And here's the same as above, only with CGC's LUT Utility Kodak 2393

• some gh3 with old nikorr 28-105 mm 3.5 no color correction

• @jonpais Cool tests. Thanks for posting your settings on this.

• 15 Minutes with a GH3, Slidecam S900 and a Lake = 2 Boring minutes. BUT... I enjoyed being out when the temp wasn't 12 degrees. Trying warmer tones for cinematic color and grading. Natural -5 -5 -3 -2. Lumix 14mm f2.5 with 0.9 ND filter.

• @maddog15

Nice cam handling/setup. Very smooth, and "pretty" grade ...

• @rNeil Thank you for your comments. This Slidecam is like having a new camera. And it's not easy to do well... just like getting a new camera. LOL

• 2014 winter was fun while it lasted but I'm glad it's coming to an end. All shot Natural -5-5-5-5. Graded in Premiere Pro CC

• @maddog15 You're very welcome! I've been doing nothing but watching color grading breakdowns the past several days :) Very inspiring stuff. And to think that up until just a couple of weeks ago, all my editing was finished after step 1! And hopefully with more experience I'll be able to look back and say, "I can't believe I used to be done with grading in just 4 steps!" :)