Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
EXQUISITE CORPSE - a collaborative video proposal
  • 116 Replies sorted by
  • @matt_gh2

Nobody makes great films 'themselves', it's a collaborative effort. I agree that one usually has to be focused and go-all out to make a great film, even if there is one person who usually has to be the leader and in charge to make the vision consistent. But I don't agree with your point that games like this lead nowhere. One can be gung-ho and driven and lead themselves into a rut that someone else dug -- happens all the time, if you don't get inspiration. Inspiration comes from this sort of thing, from the work of others, but also from 'play'.

• @VK Yes and no.

• If you say it's all for "fun only"...merely a "game"...then I say "that's cool too". But for those who have ambition to produce something great

I think you do not understand that is the games purpose in human life (and in animals life too) :-)

• @maxr Trust me, I truly appreciate the spirit of everyone who participated. Very positive people, all very cool, and with a good spirit of adventure. Combine that with the interest in surrealism and you have a lot of interesting people.

But my question to you is this: why are all these people very very interested in film. The answer: they've seen films that have inspired them. Films they considered great. Question: why did they pick up cameras...what do they really want? Answer: they want to make great films themselves.

My point is this: this technique of the corpse leads nowhere towards that goal.

If you say it's all for "fun only"...merely a "game"...then I say "that's cool too". But for those who have ambition to produce something great...I say you need to be focused...and focused in a way different than the corpse technique. And yes...you can still attack a goal with ambition all while doing so with a sense of fun and freedom.

No offense intended towards anyone - merely my personal view on what techniqiues yield the best films. The films that have inspired us all to pick up our cameras.

I wish you all the best in all your future projects.

Rock on, Matt

• Yeahhhh!!! garbage me like it, nothing to loose, nobody wants, rejected, despised and smelly.

Now seriously, @matt_gh2 you're welcome to criticize, measure and give stars. maybe, if not afraid to get dirty :P even participate and improve it... You would never imagine how well I understand you, I mean it; that is one (probably the most powerful) reason why from day 1 I stated it is just a game. Go on tell your kids the mess they're doing is has no higher purpose ja ja ja

@Vitaliy something like that went through my mind, but being me who has to select or winnow uff...
    it is not laziness, well a bit maybe, is more I would like to put down (together) a set of rules and then let things go, more or less, on their own. It is also a way of keeping the game (vs art/transcendental) spirit.

That's another interesting project though

2 more things, first the BS
    Chinese proverb everybody knows the usefulness of useful, few know the usefulness of the useless

Secondly, I like our first corpse. For going somewhere unknowable we have to trust, I don't mean you trust me (that would be an error) I mean trust life/the collective, put nice energy into it, if don't like where you're going make happen that direction is changed. I am going to say this only once (uuhhh... ja ja ja) I am here (specific thread) to have fun.
    I have no desire or longing for power or control, quite the opposite, for learning and freedom

gashô

• @matt_gh2 I don't quite get your "criticism". It seems you're judging the corpse for what it's not (or what you think it should be?). There's a big difference between a simple experiment and calling something a masterful contribution to culture. I don't recall anyone claiming in this discussion thread that we're the next Kubrick or even making a quantum leap in cinema. In fact its quite the opposite, right in the beginning @maxr made it pretty clear what an "exquisite corpse" is and where it came from and if you understand it, yes its a pretty crude concept. So, reading into it more than that is pretty pointless and possibly more absurd than the corpse itself. Beyond that though, I'm still glad to hear the responses. There have been some good suggestions on how to "script" or "score" future experiments.

• I'm not sure that I believed that this was a serious project, and therefore wouldn't judge it as such. Is it a great masterpiece? No, but it was fun and it's interesting to see what people wanted to add to the project. I would definitely do it again, especially now that I know more about it.

• I hate to say it...but that's pure garbage. I say this even though I like the idea of surrealsim. But this corpse format has the same problem that "improv acting" has - sometimes it's good and sometimes its bad...but it's never going to be as good as a passionate and intelligent person or group of persons who write a script and rewrite and rewrite until you have real gold. Then the same process in shooting and editing.

I suggest to be softer. No need to call something garbage :-) It is just like a game, fun and intended for participation.

As for passionate group of guys who write script, etc. We had one. Problem is they did not produced anything.

• I hate to say it...but that's pure garbage. I say this even though I like the idea of surrealsim. But this corpse format has the same problem that "improv acting" has - sometimes it's good and sometimes its bad...but it's never going to be as good as a passionate and intelligent person or group of persons who write a script and rewrite and rewrite until you have real gold. Then the same process in shooting and editing.

Surrealism and its concepts of free association and delerio/critical analysis are great tools...but this format is doomed to produce emotionally weak movies with little value. To those who say they "got it" or feel the flow, then I say truly "good for you", but you're risking falling into your own private language where your viewer can not understand what you say, think, or feel.

My review of the corpse - 1 out of 5 stars. The 1 star is given because the participants proceeded with a positive attitude towards life and art...that does come thru...but unfortunately this is...in the final analysis...garbage typical of the BS 48 hour film projects produce. My only suggestion is to channel those surrealistic impulses in a more powerful and compelling way. The talent is there...the passion is there...now do something better.

Sorry guys, but this is truly garbage.

• @maxr

How about make contest for each small shot?

So each day any number of people can send their variant. And you cut public version selecting only one of them.

But. In same time you make secret versions (using other variants). And you can see them only by participating :-)

• @spacewig 10 sec in motion sounds good! @MirrorMan will also be happy.
    we can ad that to @Alienhead 's "an object/subject" present in all shots

what kind of other formal limitations would you think suits this new corpse?
    what about soundtrack? talking about soundtrack I've to go finish my latest
    agglomerate, bis gleich!

• How about a 10 second rant about some pre-agreed topic, subject must spit to emphasize their point, subject must be in motion (in addition to earth's rotation)

• @buildbyflying don't hate man :P
    you can already start your participation by helping in the building of the outline for next corpse :D

@spacewig just remind me not to let you cook on my nephew's birthday party, ja ja ja

guys let's do this!!! we need to spit things out... a minimum of planing for next episode... I can smell death's shampoo approaching

• This was one highly anticipated video on our end, good job to all involved. I thought it was going to be silent which is why no horns were blasting; given the proximity to the mummy's head, that was probably a good thing.

@alienhead That underground Irish jig cracked me up, as did @jazzroy 's interpretation, hahahaha.

Looking forward to the next round...

• Hate that I'm so late to the game, but I'd like to participate on the next corpse. Count me in for a shot..

• @jpbturbo it is funny that even after the most hardcore zen + ninja + gamera tamer + samurai on mushrooms mind training - not me case - you will always still project tons of stuff into the images, their meaning, their way in and out. I say this based in my experience and I learn. Josh good that you cut my speedy tunnel with something completely different, you put the finger there... to stop, to go on, dreaming or awake, dreaming while awake, to stop but playing, maybe recording, stopped and playing, that's it!!!

@Vitaliy_Kiselev chiiiiiirs mate

BTW, my friend H. professor at culumbia univ loved the corpse, she laughed a lot (I was surprised), asked lots of nice techy questions and said she wanted to show her father. just transmitting guys

gashô

PS
    don't know what happened, the x264 (that took hours!!!) was 1880 heigh... recoding now

SENT PM to all participants with very HQ x264 1080 downloadable link

• I see @MirrorMan kick off shot a bit like a dream beginning.

I thought that your shot(the 2nd) was also very dreamlike. I had the idea of people viewing/listening to recordings of dreams. With the 4th shot it turns into a sort of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind/Minority Report crime sci-fi.

While I like idea, such thing is not for me. I much more prefer interesting people and shoing real work or nature.

It's better than arguing about hack bitrates.

• @maxr

Thanks for sharing.

While I like idea, such thing is not for me. I much more prefer interesting people and shoing real work or nature.

• I like it, honestly.
    Surrealists had tight... relations with dreams. I see @MirrorMan kick off shot a bit like a dream beginning. I could be wrong but I have this feeling that the longer the sequence the easier to loose narrativeness, to abandon explanation and embrace the experience (video is such a tyrant medium) as a whole. @Alienhead If you just see 1 minute of Brackhage it's a joke

My bigger surprise is sound, so distinct and at the same time such a powerful unifying thing

There's also a precious experience from where to go on building a more consistent way of sharing/collaborating, discussing and implementing, as it's already happening :D

I'm happy

So... we have Ted's idea of same object through the shots and MirrorMan 5 to 10 secs proposal, ah and @jazzroy deadly fart :P - what limitations, if any? What do others think/feel?

For future project we could consider having... either a theme, a sound, a text line, etc. then each person would go on making his/her shot(s) and finally assembling all together. This would be a very fast project if many participants; we would need to find an efficient way of sharing and some rules for assembling... but that's for another corpse XD

Finally, right now I'm exporting a HQ x264 1080p24 video, I'll PM you with downloadable link when it's done and I didn't choose vimeo's video cover, was automatic, just in case of doubts and for clarification.
    It's good to be part of this

• I'm as into pure non-narrative film as much as the next guy; I've done a few such films myself. I have the Stan Brakhage Criterion set! There I've established my cred. However, given that there many different people with different sensibilities, how about something to tie the result together with a little more coherence? I feel like we're all hard-wired to look for narratives, and the more things come together the better the final result usually is.

Here's an idea -- the first person would choose an object that he / she knows that everyone could get a hold of, and includes that in the shot. The shot can include one line of dialogue as well. Every person must include that object in their contribution.

Or something else, but that sort of method would likely end up as an interesting and probably amusing little film.

• Brilliant effort really! It works as a short absurdist piece... I second the idea to do it again. Maybe the length of the film should be in proportion to the length of each shot. Assuming there would be 15 or so contributors with an average 5 second shots we end up with a 1 minute film, with 10 second shots we would end up with a 2 minute film etc... just my thoughts but I'm big timing and structuralist works.

• meaning is obvious: somebody is able to produce a deadly fart. he gives advice to the population with a tape recording that he'll do it in town. then comes by train, poops, dances.. even his teddy bear can't hold it people run away but the noise of the fart is everywhere!

• My head hurts trying to figure out the meaning of it all.

It seems to be a journey with some hallucinations in the middle.

• cool! some shots are really telling stories themselves (I loved the svart - spacewig - alienhead trio of nonsense!) what's missing is an ending, of course!

• turrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

here it is guys!!!! still converting (give it 45 min or so) but I am going to pass out
    read&join U in some hours, check vimeo text to know if it's ok or missed something

gashô

PS
    pasted here vimeo text

This exquisite corpse is the result of a Personal View members' collaborative video project
    spanning from the 29th of May to July the 7th, 2013.
    There is no edit whatsoever in images or sound, they just have been juxtaposed in chronological order.
    For more info personal-view.com/talks/discussion/6989/exquisite-corpse-a-collaborative-video-proposal/p1

BIG thanks to Vitaliy Kiselev, our host :D

In order of participation:

. MirrorMan
    . maxr - also PR/MC or dealer for this specific corpse
    . jpbturbo
    . jazzroy
    . inqb8tr
    . Django
    . michal
    . eatstoomuchjam
    . svart
    . spacewig
    . Alienhead
    . kevin_kirchman
    . haavard
    . weimar

all pixels in this video are fictitious, any resemblance with reality is merely coincidence or you hallucinating