Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 user reviews and opinions
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • For GH3 external power, Panasonic lists the DMW-AC8. But do you also need an adapter/coupler (like the GH2 needed the DMW-DCC8)?

Nevermind. It needs the DMW-DCC12 coupler.

• Dear Mr. @driftwood : The Position of the internal Microphone seems more backwards than in the GH2. How is the Sound Quality? And do you know about Time Lapse ? Goes the Cam to sleep, if i selected an interval of more than 10 minutes? (So i could let it take Photos the whole Night)

• @driftwood, arg sorry.

I was not talking about your videos or photos but videos from other people trough the net..

• Nick, can you tell us how many levels is possible to set for the mic imput and headphone output? Thanks.

• some bad feedback from the first people who received their GH3 about the EVF...

@people having both GH2 and GH3, what is your opinion about it ?

Txs !

• Workflow on first was same as iceskating.

• @driftwood, hi, gh3 video about ice skating was..very OK. Your workflow seems to be OK. I have some doubt about the workflow of the very first videos of gh3 upload in the net :-)

BTW there is one French guy saying : gh3-3200 iso = gh2-1600 iso... Please can you lighten us about this? Is it true?

• You've probably all seen this (from u43 Rumors site):

http://www.focus-numerique.com/test-1560/compact-panasonic-gh3-bruit-electronique-12.html

For whatever reason, if I ask Google to translate to English, I lose the links to the GH3 Raw files? But, they are there in the original French. I downloaded the (EM-5 and GH3) Raw ISO (1600 and 3200) files. Once you set the color temperatures to be equal, they almost appear identical as far as noise. So, I wonder if the GH3 does have the same Sony sensor?

I'm just happy to see RAW still noise performance in the GH3 that is on par with the EM-5. If future dynamic range tests also show the GH3 stills to be on par with the EM-5 then: I have zero buyers remorse (not that I had any to begin with). The GH3 body was only $300 more than the EM-5. If the GH3 stills performance is on par with EM-5, we all know that the video codecs in the GH3 far outshine the EM-5.

Well done Panasonic! This is just the camera I wanted.

Now, if Vitaly can hack the GH3 and add, oh, maybe 720p @ 120... :-) :-)

PS: I donated to the "Buy a GH3 to hack" thread about a month ago. When does VK get the GH3, and...when will the new thread about "GH3 Hack" begin? :-) :-)

• @jjj_ri_usa That looks great. I am in the same situation as you are - still using a hacked GH1 and waiting for a better hybrid cam. I will get the GH3 once the cam is available on Amazon in Germany. Thanks again for posting the stills.

• @jjj_ri_usa Image quality looks amazing. Thanks fo posting.

• @Alex is your camera PAL/NTSC switchable?

Any feedback on being global camera?

• Hi All. I was amazed to find that my GH3 was waiting for me at home after work. I ordered it early on the 1st day of the announcement from Amazon. I have done almost zero with it, but, I will share a link to one Photo. This one photos already tells me that, at least for the Standard Photo setting with 0,0,0,0,0 I will always shoot RAW.

I took one photo of a lamp in my daughter's bedroom. I shot RAW+JPG Best. I then imported the RAW into LR4.3 (RC) using the default settings for the GH3. I did zero processing and exported the RAW as best quality JPG. That is the 1st shot here:

Manual Exposure, ISO 1600, f2.0. Note...this is a STILL not a video.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/26804554_xk9F5f#!i=2244743275&k=MX4CkDM

The SmugMug Gallery is Password Protected. that PW is: GH3_Tests

The 2nd shot is the untouched JPG out of the GH3.

The 3rd shot is simply the RAW after applying light NR in LR NR=18 (no other changes).

I actually like the untouched graininess of the RAW file. I hate the ugly JPG SOC. It looks like it has 'chromosomes' embedded in the grains. :-)

Note: if you are unfamiliar with SmugMug, to see the 100% Original size photo (which you really need to do to see the pixel level noise and rather UGLY NR=0 applied to the JPG) you first click on the image. Then, at the top of the pane, click on the "O" for original size. You can easily switch between the 3 photos (even at original size) by using the arrow keys on your keyboard.

I'm one of those guys you video experts are cursing. I want the GH3 to be a much better STILLS camera as well as a phenomenal video capture device. So...of course the first thing I wanted to see was a STILL. I like what I see, (but, I probably won't shoot JPGs once I evaluate them against RAWs).

I've had a GH1 for over 3 years, (with the lpowell 75Mhz Peak Performance Patch) and have loved it, but...I became pretty jealous of the photo quality of the Oly EM-5. My hope is that the GH3 really does have the same Sony sensor, so that the GH3 can measure up to the EM-5 for stills quality?

I never made the jump to the GH2 (saving up my $$$ for the GH3) so, I've also been jealous of all you guys with the Extended Tele Focus, etc etc. I have quite a bit to learn about this camera....but...it sure feels good in my hands.

And...finally, that Sigma 30 mm f1.4 that I found pretty cheap on EBay (after reading lpowells praise of it) actually will auto-focus. Yes...it is REALLY slow, but...until now, it's been manual focus only.

I'll try to update later, but, my daughter has activities Friday and Saturday, and, all I have a good camera for is to capture moments of her life. So...I probably won't have time to do anything like "tests". But...I'll have some boring mundane clips from her events that I'll try to get up to YouTube or SmugMug.

jjj_ri_usa (aka as GH1_NewGuy).

• It's also hard to tell if the softness of the GH2 compared to the GH3 is focus related, lens related or just that it's simply a softer picture. Of course I expect it to be softer on the GH2 than the Gh3 especially after seeing all of the moire and aliasing on the Gh3.. It's a trade off.

• @driftwood,

was the lens at same fl and distance ??. The GH2's frame is much wider and I think the difference is more than expected due to GH2's multi-aspect sensor .. This difference makes difficult the comparison and

a bit unfair for GH3's encoder (less flat area)

a bit unfair for GH2's detail (zoomed out)

• GH2: HD Video Extreme 20mbps Sandisk (10 sec duration before stop), Extreme Pro 45MB/s 32Gb card - lasted forever) ditto 64Gb 95MB/s. The picture was recorded with the 45MB/s.

GH3: 64Gb 95MB/s card. No problems.

I'll experiment with slower cards on GH3 soon.

• @driftwood Wich card did you used for GH3 at 72Mbps?

• @driftwood

That is why what Panasonic has done with the GH3 is so special. You couldn't shoot a wedding or live event with a GH2 and those settings. With the GH3 it is guaranteed to work even with a simple class 10 card. Have you seen any write failures yet? Even a stock GH2 would have write failures on occasion with slower cards.

• Guys, the UK weather has been terrible all week and I have to pay the bills too! Hopefully daytime test for DR will be available tomoz or Sat. Ill have some more interior comparisons up tonight.

You must also remember, the GH2 at 72Mbps 720p50 all -Intra is perilously close to failing. Only 45mbps cards and above will get beyond 15 seconds for that picture.

• @driftwood

your test showing the Creative Controls is very good to perceive the difference among them.

It seems the GH3 Natural picture profile combined with the High Dynamic creative control will deliver the best dynamic range.

It would be great to see a comparison between GH3 in this mode and GH2 in Smooth, both cameras showing a sunlight image with blue sky, clouds and a deep shadow in the frame like under a tree, or if its raining, an artificial light image indoors with highlights and shadows in the frame.

This way DR answer will be solved.

• @AKED

+1 That 720p looks great. However, we really want to see what 1080p brings.

• Have a look at the number tag bottom of the tiger. 1465 (zoom in). Much clearer in the GH3 compared to the GH2 in both picture sets.

• @Tron +1

@mpgxvcd, +1

But I would say : On the GH3 it is a very hard transition with what looks like over sharpening.

While Pixel Peeping I tried to see details taking in consideration the difference of sharpening between the 2 photos. my point of view is that gh3 gives more information here in 720p. Be aware : it is 720p guys :-)

I am quite happy for PANA. They did a good job !

Happily ND is here !!!

• My eyes tell me the GH3 has higher color accuracy, as the GH2 definitely shows a slight tint toward green. In my experience the greenish tint tends to get worse at higher ISOs. Detail is definitely superior on the GH3, though I suppose this is only important to me should Panasonic decide to release 120fps 720P in a future firmware upgrade. I do not plan to shoot at 720P-60 after waiting over 2 years to get 1080P-60 :)

• @driftwood

Look how much more detail there is in the Orange cat's tail. That can't be done simply with sharpening. There is a lot more actual resolution there.

Also look at the transition between the left side of the chicken's neck and the background. On the GH2 it is a very hard transition with what looks like over sharpening. With the GH3 it is a very smooth transition.

I also like the fact that the Monkey is purple in the GH3 image instead of the Gray in the GH2 image. I can only assume that the monkey really is purple.

• @driftwwod, thx for your test. For me, as far as detail is concerned for 720p gh3 here is a slight winner ! I did some PP, that is my conclusion, I don t know yours. Some alias there both side on par. We knew gh2 in 720p is not so good...

We are now longing for a test in 1080p :-)