Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
AVCHD: Extreme settings
  • Topic devoted to extreme settings for AVCHD modes.
  • 278 Replies sorted by
  • u mean there is no updates after aquarius seaquake and reaquainted???? quantums are my favorite extremes....where are they,.... especially quantum v5 v7 and v9b..... the nes gh2-x patches,..cool extremes,..with superb quality,..tested a few seconds each,....will take more in,...

• i did and will upload soon. no channels and blogs at present...need to learn more ;)

• @rajamalik

The updates will come when they come. Go out and shoot something.

• reAQuainted, Aquarius and SeAQuake .......are these the extremes.....?? what abt quantum v9b then?? no updates after nov here,... whats going on??

• @balazer +1. I scratched my head when looking at streamparser from the 220mbps patch, noting that I did have higher averages with reAQuainted previously. I'll try to use reAquainted, SeAQuake or Aquarius next week instead.
  • @NickBen, though Driftwood's 220 Mbps patches have the highest bit rate setting of his patches, they don't record at the highest bit rates. The frame size limit becomes the limiting factor on the bit rate. In Driftwood's 220 Mbps SmoothAsFuck, the frame limit yields recordings of up to 120 Mbps or so, which is actually lower than the ~145 Mbps that his newer settings such as reAQuainted, Aquarius and SeAQuake yield.

If you are keen on testing higher bit rates, I suggest starting with Aquamotion or reAQuainted, and scaling the 1080p24 Frame Limit, Video Bitrate 24H, and Video Bitrate 24L up in the same proportion. As you scale up, you might also try lowering 24H to match 24L. You can use Chris Brandin's Stream Parser or VLC to see the bit rates of the recordings. Please let us know if you are able to achieve higher bit rates with your new memory card.

I mention reAQuainted because it is the simplest (that I can find) from Nick's family of ~170 Mbps intra patch settings, which have proven to be high quality and fairly stable. Aquamotion is very simple also, and even more stable, spanning reliably and working with some slower cards.
  • Real world result: the 95mb/s Sandisk Extreme card worked flawlessly at 24p this morning with the 220mbps Driftwood patch, no media errors

I tried leaves, rippling water, blowing grass and weeds- anything I thought might break it didn't...

At home, I tried video static test, flushing toilet shot, no breakups...

My last one to try is death chart when i get time this weekend. Anybody have the link to the Deathchart image?
  • Just got Sandisk Extreme Pro Card, 95MB/s media...

Anybody have a 240mbit/s patch, so we can try and compare to 176 GOP1?
  • @kae

Can't download a 3.61d version of ptools, looked all over the net, and i always end up with the 3.62d.

do you know where to get it? and do you know where to get some some detailed instructions?
  • Low level format of the SD cards worked the first time and failed in subsequent recordings. The only card that has been working for me without a write failure is SanDisk Extreme HD class 10 SDHC with 30MB/s speed. My settings are 24p at 66M/48M and FSH at 32M/24M.
  • @Zaven13 Try a low level format of any of the cards in Windows and see if that helps.
  • Sorry, my earlier post above regarding failure message in FSH mode was a copy/paste from OSGondar blog. It was his settings that used.
  • Thanks for publishing your settings. I hacked my GH2 with your settings. Everything worked with one exception. When I use 1080i or 720P in FSH mode (48mbits/s). camera crashes with message "motion picture recording was cancelled due to slow write speed on the card". When I use the other bitrates, it works fine including 66MB in 24H mode. I have tried a Transcend 32GB SDHC, Transcend 64GB SDXC and a SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB 45mb/s UHS-I card. They all fail with the same message.
  • I had a Sanyo FH1 that offered 240fps and 600fps in a 10 second burst (lower resolution). Very cool with good lighting. It also offered 1080p60 as a standard frame rate, but not 720p60.
  • You need a phantom to get high quality 1000 fps footage.

Twixtor does a motion estimation based on the available frames (available pixels). You do not get 1000 fps from it, but you can get smoother slow-mos from regular footage, with some work. For many real-world slow-motion applications it does the trick.

There's no way the gh2 could produce real footage anywhere near the phantom in terms of frame-rate and even if it was possible theoretically, I'm guessing it would require far too much work for it to be worthwhile, however there are cheap consumer cameras that do very high frame rates on very small formats (Like some of the Casio Exilims)
  • @daihard

Thanks. Some of the videos I watched pulls of "slower" motion from the 60fps using some of the software like twixter (I think its called) - and from that I did notice that some footage/movement works better slowing it down further than others.

Thanks for the info - I thought something was off when when they said 1000fps cause to my knowledge that's a special camera like the one used in that Discovery series "Time Warp".
  • @Inprogress
    If you look in the comments for most of those Youtube vids... or even in the poster's comments, you will usually see that they are referring to the "shutter speed" and NOT the FRAMES per second.
    Capturing high speed motion, you usually want the sharpest image per frame possible. Which means a faster shutter.
    The fastest most of these consumer cameras can go is 60fps, but you can turn the shutter higher to capture sharper detail, just think like with sports photography.
    At the moment, the GH2 can only capture 60fps.
    The result is just slowed video in post, emulating super slow motion, then "youtubed".
  • ah, so its not actual...for the lack of a better description, hardware fps increases, but rather an type of interpolation post processing?

Thanks.
  • I heard about 10.000 FPS... somewhere. It was done using the same trick that was used to create the 240 FPS examples: Record 720p60, then slow down to 25p, apply time stretch algo in After Effects. Works quite nice when using short shutter times.. and on the right kind of footage.

Guess we would all jump in the air twice if there was 120 FPS@720p one day, but I doubt its possible...
  • Maybe I'm ignorant or just lazy, but I just saw a youtube video (not much else I can find except it from eypatchentertainment) of 240fps and 1000fps on the GH2 hacked I assume. What is the maximum fps that the GH2 can go now cause 1000fps sounds wrong, 240 maybe but even then, I suppose it depends on what the censor was designed for???

Thanks again for the Hack Vitality - I could only find a GH2 from Japan and the menu was in Japanese only - ptools to the rescue!
  • @Ian_T
    Are you still talking Pana 20mm versus Pentax 50mm? Or have you tried testing with the same focal length lenses? If you are hand-held or moving, the 50 will of course give you much more motion to record. The 20 will be inherently steadier. Moot point if you're talking lock-off.
  • Crashed the end user avchd end user FSH patch tonight at aq4 3200 iso. .recommended settings. Boo

Also my camera is making a white noise sound when it is in operation. Is this normal?
  • @proaudio4 I'm shhoting @ 88Mbps The Panasonic lenses don't crash at all. The video looks great. It's just when I put my Pentax lens on it continuously gets card write speed errors. I'll tell you this...the Pentax lens is not sharper than the Panasonics (though they are my personal favorite). But the obvious difference is that the Pentax is a manual lens. I don't understand this issue.

EDIT: Ok I take that back....just crashed with 20mm indoors @ ISO 800 shooting handheld.