Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • Flowmotion is there dude, if I need it. But I learned that you have issues with others hacks. WHy not just make yours and leave it at that. You FM is a good hack. It's stable and that is why I used it. But man o man, give these guys a break on your hack vas. other hacks. So far I'm seeing unbelievable images out of AN and sounds like Driftwood is building on it. I've played with it for some hours now and honestly dude, I can do more with it than I can FM. It just looks more filmic and less video.
    Reading through the thread, LPowell just left a touch of distain in my head on how you handle and comment on other peoples hacks. Why? Do you have a room full of participation trophies and no 1st place ones or something? I would say to you just come in here and tell Driftwood, "Nice job. Looks great". Then maybe exchange findings and co-operate so we can get more advanced hacks in the future.
    My impression of what I like with AN? It's the smooth cinema feel I'm seeing. I could care less with trying to compete with 4k red detail. This AN and upon first look, gave me the feeling that I am holding a $30,000 quality camera with a cinema image feel. FM gives me a better bit rate, but still feels video like because you concentrate on resolution and detail. It works good dude, don't get hurt. It's stable and works. Relax man. People are gonna still check you out.

• Oh, and by the way. The good footage you gave me. I gave that to me. I shot it. Hack or not, the footage is what I point it at....

• @dustylense

Dusty, now that I know how you truly feel, I think we should call it off. The fact is you're just not the sort of fanboy I'm looking for at this point in my life, and now that you're here and drooling over another guy's patches, I... I really don't think I can give you the kind of technical support you need. I'm sorry it had to end this way, but we'll always have Photokina...

• Freedom and competition made america, do not drop it LP.

• TEST PANASONIC GH2 'Apocalypse Now' - 6 GOP Nebula with cbrandin/driftwood '444 Sharp2' matrix 1600 iso smooth -2-2-2-2 F 2.0-2.8 S: 1/40 2500K LEICA SUMMICRON 35MM

• So far I'm seeing unbelievable images out of AN

The anthropology of the GH2 hack -- the religious attachment to one setting or another, the outrage which comparison tests provoke, the absence of evidence that anyone can reliably distinguish any given setting from the stock firmware without frame by frame examination (much less distinguish settings of comparable bit rates) -- would make for an interesting documentary.

• @jrd: amen brother! Although i must confess i am also still eagerly waiting for the messiah in the incarnation of a hack that turns my gh2 into a 50000$ film camera :) People either see what they want to see, what they are told to see or what they bought to see.

• Is there a benefit to using higher GOP? Or is GOP1 always the best way to go, especially for fast action...

• NEW!!!

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 Candidate1.2

"TYPE-ZERO1" released previously was not good in other than 24p. And, previous TYPE-ZERO2 "Candidates1-5" are sometimes not good in IQ or stability. Therefore, I further improved C1 and made Candidate1.2. setting. Probably in this C1.2, the finest noise in candidates of TYPE-ZERO2 will be reproduced. This C1.2 is the setting stabilized more from C1.1.

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 Candidate1.2 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Pure Original 444 Matrix' and 'Modified 444 Matrix' - Seta.ini - Released 23/09/2012

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/87723#Comment_87723

While improving, I am going to develop this in my thread so that it may not become the obstacle of Nick. :-)

• @defier

The benefit to using a higher GOP is that it's drastically more efficient. The general rule is that standard long-GOP is twice as efficient as intra-frame. Accordingly, general broadcast rules in a general context require 50 Mbps long-GOP or 100 Mbps intra-frame.

So, yes, for fast action intra-frame is superior -- but -- the bit rate needs to be substantially higher (2x+).

Furthermore, everything is 8 bit, 4:2:0 on this hacked GH2 -- so -- if you want to fudge it for any kind of professional distribution you're going to want to push the bitrate even higher.

So, for every notch lower you go with the GOP, the bitrate needs to be increased to correspond with the loss of efficiency. Some of the settings out there don't do this -- resulting in inferior images to the higher bitrate Long-GOP settings like Driftwood's Cluster 12/15 GOP variations.

• I tried 3-4 different patches for a year or so with 20mm pancake, but Apocalypse Now soft 444 is definitely THE match for it. This is the best footage I've gotten from the camera/lens/patch combo so far.

• Not sure how I feel about AN 444 Soft. More likely it is a problem with my crappy shooting, but here is a clip from a couple of hundred I shot today in Brooklyn. Lots of movement.

• @ahbleza What do you think is wrong with it? (as far as the setting. )

• @peternap From the setting point of view, I think it's fine. It just seems very soft -- more so than can be accounted for with focus. Lens is the Voigtlander f0.95, with a x16 ND filter to allow shooting at f4.0. Skin tones look good to me.

• @ahbleza Looks like motion blur more than anything else. That's a pretty active bunch.

• @voelkerb great test! I like how you give us a very commonly used lens and showed off what AN soft is really great for. I'm not totally sold on using any AN hack for my softer lenses yet (such as my super takumar 50mm f1.4), as BOOM just isn't reliable enough in my book, but this is a good example of where AN soft really shines.

Otherwise, I still have a hard time telling why I would use this set of hacks over any other hack I've seen put out by Driftwood, LPowell cbrandin or bkmcwd. I think the voigtlander test really shows when I WOULDN'T use this patch, but really there are no videos on this thread that are making me go "wow, how have I not been shooting filmic images from my GH2 before?!" Right now I'm just thinking of using this patch for the awfully video-esque kit lens and that's it.

• @Driftwood Can you help me with a doubt. Is there a posibility that in you incorporate in the new hack some kind of "matrix" or "Curve" that reduce the high contrast of the image, so we can achieve more alatitude from the native footage. Thanks!

• @danielvy Did you try adjusting the contrast in camera?

• Cant help much at the moment till Im back home in the UK. This is where Im at right now. Chile and the Volcano at Parinacota. B frame :-)

Nebula at 8000metres up in chile.png
    1280 x 1048 - 1M
    AN Boom Cluster v8 at 8000metres up in chile.png
    1280 x 1048 - 1M
  • @Driftwood Gorgeous location, Nick. :)

• "give these guys a break on your hack vas. other hacks."

I actually kind of appreciate such comparisons. I'm a shooter who wants the best quality for everything I do, but from a single hack that I can use for all my needs. I don't want to be switching things around, especially on set.

• 3 x ungraded screen captures using Apocalypse Now 'Boom!' - Intra GOP1 24p Flat 4 matrix

4megs per frame (png)... Yikes!! ;>)

All shot with the Voigtlander 17.5mm at F4.0 - 160iso - 1/50th sec (handheld no rig)

All Standard profile -2, -2, -2, -2

Skin tone on the old fellow is a bit 'blah' as I used 'Standard' when I should have used 'Smooth' plus the mix of window and overhead tungsten lighting.

Roll off at the extremes seems less abrupt than I've seen previously.

Thanks to all those who have made this possible.

@driftwood I forgot to mention AN Boom Intra GOP1 24p Flat 4 matrix will playback in camera most of the time. However about 25% of the time it won't but switching off and on again fixes the problem. As a matter of interest Nick would you have expected playback at all or not?

00108.MTS_snapshot_00.01_[2012.09.24_12.25.46].png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    00096.MTS_snapshot_00.35_[2012.09.24_12.14.17].png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    00105.MTS_snapshot_00.08_[2012.09.24_12.19.44].png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • Hi everyone, it's been a few months since my last hack. I see the 444hack sharp, sharp2, and soft. My question is how do you know which of the three zip files to download again? I'm shooting an event with speakers and interviews. Suggestions for which one?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions