Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • I did a 22 minutes HBR 25p shot in daylight on a very static scene with just one person running around and it was using just 1.89 gb in file size while looking quite good. On the economical side this one seems to be the best one! Well done Sir! Otherwise, no one here at personal-view seems to be very pleased with HBR mode quality-wise. Will there ever be an ultimate HBR setting?

• @Ralph_B, thank you again, it works great on GH2 but also on GF2, well done. When i get some time, will make and post some test videos ...

• @feha Sanity 5 continues to amaze me, too. It rewrites the book of how much bitrate is actually required to obtain a top quality picture.

• @Ralph_B I'm very pleased with Sanity 5, despite "lower bit rate" than other settings, it produces great image quality also nice smooth motion. Using HBR 25p mode ...

• @ishvar - awesome video work!!

• Combi of Sanity v4.1 and bkmwcd's Golgop patches:

• I really like my Sanity 4.1

However... I need objective assessment. Wish we'd stop stumbling in the dark (no pun intended, given the preceding video cap :) and just get two things:

1. A GH2 hacks' Comparison table

2. Quantifiable test results showing quality of each hack version in test/typical/extreme shooting conditions.

So far I don't think such things exist, or at least I'm not getting much luck discovering them:

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3031/objective-comparison-of-different-hacks

• I was covering a Race tonight and used the GH2 with Sanity 5 in the vendor areas. Total darkness except for tent lights, headlights and some area lights across the street.

Here's a screen grab of one of the tents:

race1.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 216K
  • @frerichs

Thanks! Also So i just set same Wb and Shutter speed, aper,?ect ima goin to do a outside test very soon here ill post my results.

• @cjdincer It won't work. Sanity 5 has it's own matrix that is intergral to it's operation. If you want to play with other matrices, use Sanity 4.1.

• I wonder what would Sanity 5 with mysteron's matrix yield. (with deblocking and everything.) I still really couldn't figured out how to mix them. gonna give it a try though.

• @moondoggy 53min 26sec is what the counter shows for 24H when you insert a blank 16 GB card. Actual run time may be longer. It sounds like you're doing fine.

• @jclmedia, I'm using an AF100 vs. the HPX170 but found that the following settings come pretty close and in post I have to do very little to match the GH2 and AF100 footage:

For the GH2 I use Vibrant -2 -2 -1 -2

The AF100 I use 1080/24P Detail Level -4, V Detail Level -1, Detail Corning -4, Chroma Level +2, Chroma Phase -3, Master Ped -5, DRS Off, Gama Cine-Like D, Matrix Fluo

The compression from Vimeo really doesn't do the actual footage of this video justice, but here's an example of using the above recipe with mixed cameras:

• @Ralph_B

How is the run time on card being determined? By the counter only? I've been setting a static shot, and recording. Would a high motion/ high detail shot record less time? I'm still not getting the 53 minutes and change you mentioned on a 16GB card- It's going way past that. arrghh...

Just to confirm, Sanity 5 is for use with Ptools 3.65 ?

Is there a way to verify that a hack has been indeed loaded on a camera (software that works on Mac) ? I feel like I'm stumbling around in the dark.

• @ishvar I'm not quite sure what to say about that. We all have our own style and specialty and 85% of what I see here is nice, but useless for what I do.... But that video was flat beautiful from my window!!! I don't have Sanity V2.2 and haven't seen it. Can you point me to the link?

• @ishvar

Excellent! Very enjoyable to watch!

• I have a hpx170 and GH2, i heard that using the vibrant profile on gh2 is closest to the hpx170. Jus curious what settings I should set the hpx too?

• Sanity Patch v4.1 - great allrounder! THX!
    (720p link)

• @peternap Guess you're right and I should give more consideration to this lens. Thanks again. I'm still learning the hard way with this cam. My previous (pocket) camera was a Kodak zx1: go figure :)

• @peternap

Actually, it was the 14-140.

• @moondoggy

Leave the version increment at 1. I've done this hundreds of times and never used anything other than 1.

• @Mike_C People shouldn't sell the 14-42 short. Ralph did stunning demo with it I believe. Anyway, wonderful work!

• @Ralph_B Thanks Ralph! The vimeo compression was the one recommended by the vimeo compression page. However I did a VBR 2-pass (I don't know if this was a good idea - in theory it should be better) target bitrate 4.9 Mbps (to stay under 500 Mb), maximum bitrate 8 Mbps, profile High, Level 4.2, render at maximum depth, and I also flagged "use maximum render quality" and "use frame blending". I also encoded at 50 fps (because I shot it at 50) although I read I should encode at not more than 30. So I don't know if this may affect in any way the final output.

So if you could recommend in your experience a lighter compression for vimeo, I'm game for it.

@peternap Thanks man! The lens used is the so-so 14/42 stock lens and the profile was Vibrant -2 -2 0 -2. About ColorGHear ... it's a totally cool and effective technique. However I have problems exporting the timeline to AE because I lose all transitions, titles and such (the music also if I remember correctly). But I cannot do those things after color grading because the video would not play smoothly in the timeline. In fact color correction/grading is the very last thing I do before encoding.

• @Mike_C That's some beautiful video Mike! What lens and profile were you using? I'm a new Gearhead BTW. There is a learning curve!

• @Ralph_B

Thanks for your response. I haven't modified the text file. I have "version increment" checked, am I also supposed to enter increment numbers in the box below? I've read varying instructions regarding this. At present, the increment is still on "1".