Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • @Ralph_B: is there any situation when Sanity v5 is NOT recommended? (say high motion/deep shadows/high contrast/low contrast/720p60/whatever)? - or is v5 universally good?

Thanks.

• @mo7ies The trick was what Ralph used to get the mega I frames with low bit rates. Nothing the user has to do but focus and shoot.

Ralph didn't refer to it as a trick I don't think, but lpowell did use that word with his 100mb Flow Motion.

I'm still guessing that's what duartix is talking about because there's certainly no trick I know of, in using Sanity 5.

• @mo7ies That's correct.

• If I understand correctly, the "trick" is simply to use Sanity v5, yes? No other operation is required?

• @mo7ies

I think this is the trick he's talking about:

Ralph_b said I discovered a way to create monster size I frames, while still keeping the bitrate low. In 24P, we're talking about I frames approaching the one million mark with certain subject material. And this applies to 24L, as well! For 24H I had to lower the bitrate from 66M to 38M, and yet the image quality is the same (and maybe better). I applied this technique to all modes; 24P, 1080i, 720P and HBR.

• @duartix - what frame trick are you referring to?

Which lens and what camera settings did you have during teh concert recording (which looks fantastic!) ?

• @duartix Good sharp image! What lens and setting did you use?

I've been beating the bushes (literally) for the last couple of days and testing Driftwod's CM patches. I'm not real impressed with day pm, night is great and soft skin tone is a little more detailed than Sanity....but even in 720, at a higher cost of card space. I'll use those patches for special shots but Sanity is still the bread and butter load!

This is with an old Sears zoom I was testing that's a little soft:

• Sharing a Sanity Experience: Two days ago I was amazed when I saw this: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/60265#Comment_60265

I guess that I-Frame trick is working wonders because Sanity 5 works great while managing to get lower bitrates than stock on static footage. Yesterday I was out to spend my birthday gift (which was a ticket to see Dead Combo http://deadcombo.net/ at Aula Magna).

This is a very small band with a big cult already here in Portugal. Some of their music is featured in Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" and it has found it's way to some portuguese cinema.

In a stupid mistake, there I was at the venue with only 1x8GB SD... which reported 26m of recording time. Well, apparently it stored ~4s of video for each 1s it reported, :) so I though it would give me about 1 & 1/2h if I was lucky. I couldn't find a better spot to record and at the same time enjoy the show but after about 1h (when I still believed I would get way with the whole concert) the battery died and in another stupid hurry mistake I didn't carried the reserve.

When I got home my jaw almost dropped when I checked the footage, this is what I got, enjoy:

BTW they played for 2h40m with a 2m break!!! I could have never record the whole show, I didn't even made it to the second part. :)

(EDIT) This piece was shot with, 24p High, I Dynamic off, IR off, ISO160, 1/25s, Nature 0,0,0,0 (inadvertently, I usually use smooth -2,-2,-2,-2), Automatic WB. Pasadena Audio was merged and I was using the second least sensitive mic level. The sharpness is probably due to the Olympus 45mm @F/2.0.

Later in the concert I had to up the ISO to 320, 400 and 640 so I got something more out of the shadows but as the light quickly changed I also got some burns, especially in some of their white clothes (sometimes even their faces). I also lowered the mic sensitivity to the last level.

• @ peternap - Forget Shaggy. Dude bottom right looks like he's on the gravy stroke! :)

• I look forward to testing out Sanity 5.1, I'm still running Sanity for the old firmware. I'm really interesting in a patch that works for 60i, 30p on top of 24p. thanks Ralph.

• Yes, it's rather remarkable.

• @subco I don't recommend it - you run the risk of instability and getting write errors.

• @peternap The guy in the green shirt by the table looks like Shaggy from Scooby-Doo.

• We came into the city for dinner tonight and I decided to test Nick's night patch. I spotted a group of people who were even strange for City People...so I loaded Sanity 5 and spent some time with them. Love this patch. It never lets me down. http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/peternap/strange.jpg?t=1335936399

• @Ramses. sorry, I guess you misread. The post was not about importing problems/workflows but playback problems. With messy playback in VLC and also messy import in FCP, I would have regarded the files as damaged. Not very good when shooting without a Mac and many programs in reach.

But 5DtoRGB transcodes fine.This problem only occurs with highly detailed shots. I would like to know why.

• and the spaning on 720p works beautiful

• That's 2x more than Sanity 4.1

Meaning, Sanity 5 requires two times less bandwidth.

@Ralph_B says there's no appreciative difference between the visual quality of Sanity 4.1 and v5, but I'm afraid to upgrade since v4.1 worked well for me...

• sanity 5 nearly two hours of well lit footage @ 160 iso on 32Gb card

• @Ralph_B

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out. The counter is showing 53:57 on a formatted 16GB Panasonic card, close enough for me. :-)

Thanks again man.

• @Frame how about simply copying the contents of the SDHC card to a temporary desktop folder and then use compressor to generate your ProRes/DVCProHD files and bring them in FCP then?

• @ishvar

I'm curious to know your opinion of sanity (4.1 or 5) against bkmwcd's Golgop especially in 24p. What patch do you prefer in rendering motion and which one in lowlight? Also did you test driftwood's patch?

Thank you.

• The latest Sanity 5 , 24p High Quality freaks out Mac-based VLC and FCP7´s "Log and Transfer"- tool! But only only with high detailed shots like in the attached image, which shows the same defects in VLC as well as in Log and Transfer Recordings with lesser detail, also noisy ones, just play fine in VLC and Log and Transfer.

BUT: 5DtoRGB lite 1.5.8 will convert the same problematic clips just fine into ProRes. No problems there. Phew... so at least no shot lost.

The left image shows the errors produced by VLC (during playback) and "Log and Transfer". The right image is transcoded with 5DtoRGB lite 1.5.8 and shows no errors.

Clip #58 059defective.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 523K
    Clip#58via5DtoRGB.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 480K
  • @Ralph_B 720p-60 Vibrant ----2. Pentax A 50mm 1.7 lens

I almost never use 24H. Nearly everything I video moves a lot. I've never put it in 1080I.

It is possible that Mysteron is a little finer grained in 24H but I can't see much sense in wasting time testing something I just don't use.

I like Cluster but it's harder to Color grade than Sanity in 720.

I'm looking forward to testing Cluster 2, but I keep coming back to Sanity 5 for everyday use.

I buy a lot of old primes for the Canons and the GH2, and have been doing the serious testing with The GH2 and Sanity. If they come out good with that combo, they seem to be good on everything.

This unedited screen grab was from last night.

han3.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 172K
  • @peternap Just curious, but what mode were you comparing? 24H? That seems to be the most common one that people shoot. But Sanity is really four patches; 24P, 720P, 1080i and HBR.

• @Ralph_B I'm not a great believer in pixel peeking but sometimes I just have to look. I compared it to Mysteron last night and darned if it didn't look a little better to me.

I'm old and haven't been to a concert for 30 years or so but I am going to a Beach Boys Concert in July.

They're picky about cameras but I can get by with the GH2. Based on the low light performance so far, Sanity 5 is the way to go. I haven't gotten any significant noise yet and Neat Video takes care of what little there is.