Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Coronavirus: Masks and respirators discussion
  • 163 Replies sorted by
  • 3M fires 2,900 people

The COVID-19 pandemic has advanced the pace of change and disrupted end markets around the world, increasing the need for companies to adapt faster," Chief Executive Officer Mike Roman said.

3M said the restructuring actions would allow it to take advantage of global market trends in e-commerce, health care, automotive electrification and home improvement.

The company had 96,163 employees as of Dec. 31, 2019.

The company said it expects the restructuring to result in pre-tax savings of $200 million to $250 million this year and $75 million to $100 million in 2021.

Worst thing is that 3M supported famous theory of "no proper masks for people outside medicine". It is horrible crime that should be explored and all people related to it must be executed.

• Mordor criminals

Rospotrebnadzor revealed the main drawback of masks with a valve. RIA Novosti was told about this by Mikhail Lebedev, a leading expert of the Center for Molecular Diagnostics of the Central Research Institute of Epidemiology of Rospotrebnadzor.

According to him, an infected person exhaled in such a mask "gives all his viruses to others." The expert emphasized that masks with a valve are suitable only for medical workers who perform professional duties, since such personal protective equipment makes breathing much easier.

Each time I read this bullshit (yes, protecting others is bullshit thing!) and understanding how many tens of thousands of people died due to it, and this is not worldwide, only here..

We need some kind of tribunal for all this people.

• @tinbeo

But after getting temperature checked, I was asked to take my mask off, instead wearing hospital’s provided mask.

Lot of people become corporate drones, they want to literally follow instructions provided by them.

This is also one of big reasons so many people die from COVID.

Just recently , cdc said because faulty of using mask, Mask wearing Is not protect you better than not wearing it -;).and now after Trump was defeated by all you can named it, vaccine is replace mask news now. Wtf?

Vaccine won't replace masks, do not worry :-)

• I bought on eBay 6502QL. Recently, I visited a friend at hospital trying this mask. i was asked to take it off to talk to security guy. That was easy for me using quick release function of this 3m mask. But after getting temperature checked, I was asked to take my mask off, instead wearing hospital’s provided mask. I believe that is three layer blue color seeing a lot everywhere. Just recently , cdc said because faulty of using mask, Mask wearing Is not protect you better than not wearing it -;).and now after Trump was defeated by all you can named it, vaccine is replace mask news now. Wtf?

• Related to last post, can check comments to video from many people who use N95 and better masks.

• Example of dangerous pseudo science lies

The reinhalation of our exhaled air will without a doubt create oxygen deficiency and a flooding of carbon dioxide. We know that the human brain is very sensitive to oxygen deprivation. There are nerve cells for example in the hippocampus that can't be longer than 3 minutes without oxygen - they cannot survive.

The acute warning symptoms are headaches, drowsiness, dizziness, issues in concentration, slowing down of reaction time - reactions of the cognitive system.

When you have chronic oxygen deprivation, all of those symptoms disappear, because you get used to it. But your efficiency will remain impaired and the under-supply of oxygen in your brain continues to progress.

First, it is utter lie that small volume inside mask play important role in the reduction of available oxygen. It is just small compared to inhale volume (and it still has around 50% of oxygen you see in fresh air).

With good tightly sealed masks you can initially feel the described things and after some time "all of those symptoms disappear,". But not because you get used to it, human body does not work this stupid way. They go away because breathing is not conscious process where your advanced brain parts logically think it through, it is complex but low level thing. So, with mask you need to adapt, move it to upper level and after some time you get used to it and do not notice at all, as you change breathing habit a little, because you need different amount of muscle effort to get same amount of air.

Guys who wrote such stuff must be held accountable and spend time in prison instead of spreading bullshit.

Btw, in busy office with closed windows and working conditioning oxygen level drops sharp and CO2 level rises from 400ppm to 2000ppm and more in no time. And this can certainly can lead to " headaches, drowsiness, dizziness, issues in concentration", but somehow this guys are afraid to post this much, as business won't be happy.

• @Meierhans....well last week I had to go on a 2 hour bus trip. One way I used a 3m 9010, which is a light weight valveless...and the other way I used a 3m 8511, which has a valve. The valve mask was only slightly more tolerable. Not noticing it....I doubt it. A valve mask still requires work inhaling and is nearly as hot. So if you have to be on public transport, it might be a better personal choice, esp for a long trip. However, if you got on a plane or bus, and everyone had a mask with a valve, you can assume you're unprotected from everyone else, except for your mask. And regardless which mask I'm using in whatever circumstance, I want to get the fuxer off as soon as possible, and I never use one if I'm in open, free air...unless being ordered by the authorities, which has happened. And they aren't smart enough to listen to the debate, so I put on a surgeons mask and remove when I'm out of sight, cause they're too stupid to know the difference. But if I had to take an intercontinental 10 hour flight, I might....maybe, would be persuaded by V's argument to use a respirator.... and goggles, and gloves, and prayer.

• It is true that masks without valve will be used much less time due to discomfort. I noticed that on myself and others. When I am shopping with them, I feel the need to get them off as soon as I am back outside, while with the 3M FFP3 I cycled multiple times back home without noticing that I am still wearing them. Last but not least: If you really and always take care yourself with proper protection and keeping distance whenever possible, you will most likely not catch it. And not catching it is finally savest way not to spread it.

• @kurth

A face mask with an exhalation valve doesn’t help protect others. The valve makes it easier for you to exhale, but it also lets your germs out into the air. When it comes to protecting others, a mask with an exhalation valve is like not wearing one at all.

Main spread happen during cough, cheap respirator with valve will hold around 80-95% of wet particles. During cough around 70-80% of air even goes via filter, not valve. Valve in them is small and limit the exhale volume per second.

With good half and full face masks, valve has completely different construction and air goes down, not before you.

Most people wear surgical mask such a way that leakage is comparable to N95 valve, btw :-)

You don’t need an N95 mask. Studies have shown that a mask made of at least two layers of cloth will be effective as long as it is snug with no large gaps around the top or sides. The best material is a tightly woven cotton, which can include a bandanna.

It is also not true, as not only filter material differs, but also sealing is much better.

“The purpose of masks is to keep respiratory droplets from reaching others,” the health agency said. The CDC recommends cloth face coverings as the best line of defense against spreading the novel coronavirus.

CDC is like band of idiots. If you implement total masks mode as they want, it is mask sealing and efficiency that matters. You must be able to check it yourself.

It is simple math. Lets propose (for the sake of it, despite wrong) that valve allow 90% of droplets out. Let's get use surgical mask efficiency at 80% (it is new and not wet) on another person. So, if you be right besides this person inhaling almost everything you can inhale up to 18% of droplets (today it had been apocalypse if this had been the case). In real life it is around 2-4% on the small distance. For total best case with another mask without valve it will be 1-2% (as here it will be small droplets that went through leaks and filters).

Now lets assume we all use proper sealed and valved half masks. No more than 40% of droplets are out due to large valve and downward guide. Efficiency is 99,97%. If you be right besides this person inhaling almost everything you can inhale up to 0,012% of droplets. In real life it is around <0,001% on the small distance.

Maybe it didn't reach Siberia yet.

May be it is time to work for you in Siberia, will be nice weather soon.

• @Vitaliy....I wouldn't be worried , but....actually that looks more like what you're doing....posting your own personal bad ideas. This is common knowledge here in the west. Maybe it didn't reach Siberia yet. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/01/well/live/face-shields-masks-valves-vents.html .... https://nortonhealthcare.com/news/masks-with-exhalation-valves-dont-help-and-5-other-face-mask-facts/ .... https://www.vumc.org/coronavirus/latest-news-you-asked-we-answered/can-i-use-mask-external-valve-or-vent .... https://www.fox6now.com/news/cdc-says-masks-with-exhalation-valves-do-not-prevent-spread-of-covid-19 ...Maybe this'll help. And if you don't want me to comment on your condescending remarks....don't make them. Then you won't have to delete my comments about them ! And I believe my reading skills are more than adequate.

• @kurth

As I told, you just always comment your own ideas. Not something posted. Hence why I am worried about you.

• @Vitaliy.

Of course the mask with valve is easier on the wearer, yet offers zero social protection to the social ambiance from those infected, which considering the situation, is at least half or probably more than half , the strategy of using masks as said goal of ending the pandemic.

[VK: keep to the topic]

• @kurth

You lost ability to read quite long time ago, and it seems like you are loosing brain neurons at staggering pace also. Please, be safe, try to keep remaining in working state. We here like you, but some last posts make us worried.

• @Vitaliy....good mask with valve....puts contaminated air into the ambient air just like you don't even have a mask. Everything else is bs.

• @kurth

...actually if the mask has a valve, it does nothing to protect other people if the mask wearer is sick, which is half the reason for wearing it.

First, it is not true. Good mask valve guide air down and you can't cough on someone else.

Second, idea to "protect other people" sounds quite nice, but in reality it does not work as it sounds. As most people who are getting sick now are not wearing masks. It works partly if you have very high discipline and total mask mode.

Third, people who due to lack of valve have extra wet and not working mask that they also avoid to wear are much worse.

• @Vitaliy....actually if the mask has a valve, it does nothing to protect other people if the mask wearer is sick, which is half the reason for wearing it.

• P100 style respirators - nobody wears them except for areas that require it N95 masks - ditto blue medical masks - maybe 50% including myself wear them.

What exactly is "P100 style respirators" here? As only sealed (and where you can check sealing!) half and full face masks exist with such rating.

Whole idea with real life P3/P100 half mask usage is to get QL version and not having it on absolutely full time. But few hours even in hot temperature is not so bad after training and if you are not smoker or such :-)

Also it is hard to get that N95 mask is. As it is ton of them, and wearing one without proper good valve is not good idea.

• I can mention my experience in a ceramics plant. P100 style respirators - nobody wears them except for areas that require it N95 masks - ditto blue medical masks - maybe 50% including myself wear them. It is mandatory in the public areas - they are ok but are awful when I get hot and sweaty - I will take them off to drink or to dry them with a paper towel.
    elastic face hoods and cloth masks - the other 50%. I've never used them but many do. nothing at all - it happens quite a lot when 'on the floor' since everybody takes masks off.
    There have been cases but they've so far been contained to interactions outside of the plant. There was a plant emergency this week and there was lots of close-contact between some people in masks and others not in masks at various points of the response. Hopefully nobody had the virus, but I'll find out my fate soon enough

• Mordor updates

The maximum production capacity for medical masks is almost 20 million pieces per day. At the beginning of March it was 600 thousand pieces in total.

This is little lie as even in February they talked about 1.5 millions, all else they imported from China.

Real requirement is around 200-290 millions masks per day. For real total mask mode.

For other types of PPE, production capabilities have reached - respirators, 530 thousand units per day, 200 thousand protective suits, 114 thousand pairs of gloves.

Around 80-90% of them are cheap respirators and fully unbreathable protective suits (so medics literally suffer in them).

But...

Enterprises are not working to the fullest, they are focusing on market demand, some of them use their capacities at 50%, some at 80%. But even this is enough to close the domestic market with a margin and, among other things, to carry out export supplies.

This is at the time average person uses one time use surgical mask for 8-10 days.

• And this is opposite example with stupid idea

• Eight people in Indonesia were forced to dig the graves of coronavirus victims as penance for not wearing their masks when leaving their homes.

Superb idea.

I propose to make them dig their own grave and pay for 3 months reservation of it.

• “If the Government’s aim is to minimise transmission of the virus, its guidelines must be clear enough to prevent this trade-off, emphasising that masks are not an alternative to social distancing,” Luckman urged.

“We need more evidence to determine at what point the risks of reducing physical distance outweigh the benefits of wearing a mask,” he added.

“To start with having face masks and then think[ing] you can crowd your buses or your shopping malls — that’s definitely a mistake,” Tengell has emphasised.

Well, just stop promoting two things - one use surgical masks and social distancing. Moving to proper masks solve all issues without shortcomings.

• LG PuriCare Wearable - interesting, but little strange thing

• Small 820mAh battery
    • Two fans
    • HEPA filters
    • Ultraviolet disinfection case (stupid as they have closed filters)

Looks like LG made something using their designers of vacuum cleaners. As idea of using such fans is smart only if accompanies by super smart sensors, as they will prevent both inhaling (such small fans must be really super fast and loud to supply proper amount of air) and exhaling (as here they need so fully stop at once). Holes of in plastic filter covers are tiny and will prevent even unassisted breathing. LG also do not get why 3M construction is such as it is - monolithic approach allows to prevent accidental leaks that will be plague of such complex design as LG made.

sa14230.jpg
    800 x 458 - 22K
    sa14231.jpg
    674 x 402 - 18K

sa14224.jpg
    784 x 461 - 36K